Trusted Contributor

Re: Sears Canada will be liquidating, can the U.S. Sears be far behind?

Sears did open an appliance store in a new up and coming suburb near me about 8 years ago.  It closed after 5 years.  With a Home Depot and Lowes nearby, I don't think they could compete.

Honored Contributor

I think it is a matter of time for Sears to close down completely.  The only thing that will save them is coming up with something very unique in the marketplace and that is not likely to happen.  Target and Walmart have taken control of their market.  I personally think Sears should only have electronics stores and household.  TVs, computers, washer, dyers, etc. because there is not much competition and competition would be welcome.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Just learned this week that our Sears and KMart are closing in November.  And there are always rumors swirling that JCPenney will close next year.   That will close all the "anchor" stores at our mall.... so then what?  Most of our mall stores are boarded up anyway.   We don't have many shopping options where I live and I'm worried.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Aww geez @TY  I am sad to read this about Sears of Canada.  I sure will be sad if I see Sears and Kmart close.  Lots of memories from when I was a kid and teenager at those stores.  I shop Kmart more than Sears however I do get my appliances at Sears.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama

I think the one area in the past where Sears Canada excelled was bringing in plus sized clothing and clothing aimed at petite women. Of course Sears Canada skewed to an older demographic and that's where the only other department store standing in Canada Hudson's Bay accomodates them. I can think of other smaller mall stores that don't really have plus sized clothes. H&M doesn't carry clothes bigger than a size 14 (fits like a size 12 missy) in Canada. Walmart does carry plus sized clothing but it's hit and miss. Old Navy has some plus sized but not much and I don't think The Gap has plus sized clothes at all. Plus sized stores like Addition-Elle are not in a lot of malls, just stand alone stores.

I am curious what the malls in Canada will do with those empty anchor stores. I think the Sears Canada stores will be closed after Christmas.

As to Kmart in the U.S., the one that I grew up with, the one in Tacoma on 6th Avenue has or is closing. It was on the closure list earlier this year. Not that I visit Kmart stores when I'm in the U.S. because I don't. I never figured out why Sears Canada didn't bring in Jaclyn Smith's clothing line since Kmart bailed on Canada eons ago. That is the only line I look at when I visit a Kmart.

I have a Sears garage door opener. Luckily if I ever need to replace the remote the Canadian guy who has repaired the garage door springs has remote replacements as Sears Canada never sells the keychain remotes and the last one I bought I had to buy at a U.S. Sears.