Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: School is almost back in! Who among us are former teachers?

@Briggsie  Congratulations on being part of the "retired" crowd.  I agree with everything you wrote!  It IS nice to talk to adults and go out at times when the kids are in school!

You taught more years than I did... and how nice it is to know that you are in a "happy place" with it all!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I retired in 2008 after a mastectomy and being in a school that had a terrible principal. My first 15 yrs were in a rural district and I loved every day. They were mostly farm kids and easy to work with.  Then we moved back to the big city to be near my ill Mom and I got a job in a big urban district. Talk about culture shock!! Just as I was getting used to it they closed my school and we were all transferred hither and yon. That's when I encountered the most dishonest person I ever met, how she ever got to be a principal I don't know.  Anyway she is out of my life and I like being retired. DH has some health problems so I'm glad to be available for appointments and such.

My son has 5 more years till he retires, he's a chemistry teacher.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I was a special educator for 28 years.  I took a medical retirement. It was a little difficult to leave on these terms.

However, I am really over it now. I've been retired for four years now and I love it!  I can do what I wish when I want to and I get social security along with my pension.  I feel fortunate to be doing well and enjoying life!  Best wishes to the rest of the retired teachers.  Enjoy it because you earned it!