Esteemed Contributor

Re: School is almost back in! Who among us are former teachers?

I retired 7 years ago and have not regretted doing so.  I have been keeping busy dancing.  I am an an "outside the box" kind of person and was not happy with the way education was going as far as standardization, testing, and curriculum.  Creativity was not respected.  

Super Contributor

I've been retired 18 years. I taught in PA and retired at age 55 with 31 years of teaching when they offered their last 30 years and out window of retirement incentive. My grandson just  graduated from high school this year. After seeing how education has changed over the years, I'm glad I am retired!

I enjoyed all of my years in the classroom. But, retirement is wonderful!

Contributor

Retired May 2015 after 40 years in First Grade and Kindergarten.  LOVED every minute of it until the last 3 years when everything (Common Core, Standardized Testing, etc.) got lumped together K-12.  We were asking five year olds to do things that were not Developmentally Appropriate.  It got harder and harder to fit in things like playground, snack, rest, centers etc. with the ever increasing academic demands.  Today is the first day for students.  It is bittersweet.

Contributor

First week of children is done.  I heard from many of my former teachers.  Even had one send me a picture of the empty parking space that I was using for the last 29 years! From all the reports - I left at the perfect time.  Things have gone from bad to worse over the summer.  No playground or snack for Kindergarten😒 any more and crafts are now frowned upon.  Five year olds NEED those things for developmental and social growth in addition to the academics.  Very sad for the children.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I left in the fall of 2006. I was in my 28th year: I taught about a month, and then had a brain aneurysm. I was in rehab several months.

I always loved teaching, even though it was full of challenges.

Now I'm very involved with our local OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institude) group, and I love teaching senior citizens (much easier than middle and high school!).

Esteemed Contributor

We have been in school since the second week of August. I retired early a few years ago and missed the students, so I still sub. I don't miss the paperwork.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

So glad you started this discussion and thank you.

I still miss my students! I miss the games and pep rallies...

this is the first August in 14 years that I have not had a bevy of students to plan for!

if only, if only ...

If only I would have been able to stick with a plan of teaching each according to their individual capabilities-- then I might have continued for an additional year and one-half❤️👍💜⏰

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher

You will LOVE being a grandparent! Once we had our first (of two) my entire life focus changed! It is such a BLAST!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

This is going to sound mean to all the teachers that go back and don't really want to, but every year at this time I REJOICE that I don't have to go back, that the roads will be less congested during school hours and stores less crowded, that kids will be in school and not in shops or wherever I want to be. Don't get me wrong, I loved teaching, and I love kids, but now that I'm retired, it's nice to be around adults during the weekdays. I retired from teaching music for 27 years. I loved it. I love it even more just teaching privately now and performing myself. Life is good.......(except my health isn't -- but I'm working on that too).

Briggsie

Contributor

I am not a teacher, but did work in a school district for 29 years. I retired out at the end of 2015 school year because I just could no longer mentally and physically deal with my position of Food Service Manager. The past few years of changes we were required to undergo because of Michelle Obama's changes was horrible and caused me much grief. And these changes are not all for the better, but that's a whole chapter in itself. The one thing I did not have in my position were any collegues on my level that I could depend on. I needed to seek help outside my school district. No longer could I deal with the frustration of lacking administrative support, and workers who didn't give a darn about their jobs or supporting me as their supervisor. NEVER AGAIN will I do management!

About 15 years ago I hurt my back on the job. I was off for months with various physical therapies and medications. I am still doctoring with my now deteriorating degenerative discs, and will have this for the rest of my life. At this time I feel I earned my retirement pension although I would have liked to work a few more years. Just don't want to be crippled in my old age and want to be able to keep up with my grandson!

Anyway, this is part of my life story!  Happy Retirement to all you teachers. I have seen first hand how hard you work; you are amazing!    Paula