Honored Contributor

School is almost back in! Who among us are former teachers?

How long have you been out?

What are you doing now?

I've been in out just under five years and really enjoy retail because I love people and being around a lot of activity!  I ran into a former student I had and she said her son was becoming a junior and she'd pay me to go back!  I really miss lot of it and they want me to teach some courses in the break room.  How about you?

Respected Contributor

Re: School is almost back in! Who among us are former teachers?

I just left in June...after 26 years. I'm looking forward to becoming a first-time Grandmother in Novmber and have been enjoying lunching(sometimes breakfast) and walking and talking with my friends who had retired before me. School has changed so much that I no longer enjoyed it and I hope to never look back!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

This will be my sixth year of retirement and I have not once second-guessed my decision.  I have a part-time job at my local rec center and I also supervise a few student teachers for the state university.  I am having a great retirement.

Trusted Contributor

i am a former middle school math teacher.  I had to retire due to medical issues.  I retired 5 years ago and am enjoying myself.  I really like not getting up at 5:30! Being retired gives me time to volunteer at the hospital and organize fund raisers for my church plus play with my 4 rescue Golden Retrievers!  It's all good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a retired high school math teacher.  I took a medical leave for a year, then early retirement. 

Now I do anything I want to do. 

Valued Contributor

I've been out of teaching since 1993 but work as a substitute and love it.  I get called every day and enjoy not having the responsibility of lesson plans, grading papers, meetings, parent-teacher conferences, etc.. I come home at the end of the day and my time is all mine. I take my job very seriously as I know what it's like to return after a day off and find my room looking like a 3-ring circus and none of my plans followed.  To all fellow retirees, enjoy the first day of school because we won't be there!  Woman Happy                          docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@2zbeach wrote:

i am a former middle school math teacher.  I had to retire due to medical issues.  I retired 5 years ago and am enjoying myself.  I really like not getting up at 5:30! Being retired gives me time to volunteer at the hospital and organize fund raisers for my church plus play with my 4 rescue Golden Retrievers!  It's all good.

Heart Heart Heart Heart

Trusted Contributor

I have been out six years.  I taught for 28 1/2 years as a special education teacher.  I started teaching with 3-5 year olds and retired from the high school.  

Unfortunately, I am doing less than what I ever did.  Physical problems has caused me to need the use of a walker ever since I retired.  As a result, many of my "mobile" friends who are also retired have stopped asking me to go with them on shopping trips, bus trips, etc.  because I can't keep up with them, or sometimes in boutique shops the walker doesn't fit between aisles, etc.  On top of that my husband and I, married 42 1/2 years, divorced this summer and I will be moving to a different state to be around relatives.

I do miss the students but do not miss the paperwork in doing lesson plans, individual educational plans, etc.  I also, of course, miss the camaraderie of fellow teachers.  

My retirement is not what I thought it would be.  I am apprehensive about how long I can live independently because of all my health concerns.  This is not the life I expected at my age.  I didn't think I would be like this until I was in my late 70's, early 80's.  Sorry to be such a downer.  

I hope you others are enjoying your retirement and that your health stays good for many, many years.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

I just retired June 2015.  I am very blue this week, because school is starting and I am not going.  I taught third grade for 25 years.  I am 56 years old, had my time in for a full pension, so I retired.  I am happy about my decision, but this week is hard for me.  My husband and I are in good health and want to relax, travel, and enjoy the next chapter in our lives.

Highlighted
Contributor

I retired May 2015. School starts in the morning without me for the first time in 28 years.  I've had some sad days when my friends started working in their classrooms. Now I think I'm fine. My husband and I plan on traveling. Life is pretty good right now.