Honored Contributor

Re: Scarfs, how often do you wear them?

I wear a lot of scarves, especially if I go to a resturant, I always have one for the air conditioning which can be miserable!

Esteemed Contributor

I am definitely a scarf woman.  My collection is large.  I never buy a scarf with a particular outfit or coat in mind. I always let the scarf speak to me, and I make it work after it belongs to me. My winter scarf count probably adds up to at least two different scarves for each coat I own (and ladies I own quite a few coats).  I have every fabric, style, shape, length you can name from cheap cotton bandanas to cashmere shawls.  There is nowhere I could go from beach to ski slopes and not have a suitable scarf/pareo/wrap.  

I feel that even more so than jewelry, a scarf can add instant panache to an otherwise simple plain outfit.  I can't coherently explain it, but when I see a woman wearing a lovely scarf, her outfit always gets extra points from me. I also admire a fine scarf draped on a man. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I experienced a renewed love for scarves in the last couple of years and started building my collection. Alas, it's often too warm to wear them where I live though so I don't get to wear them as much as I'd like.

Honored Contributor

Everyday ... it's my "thing."  I have boxes and boxes of scarves.  I started wearing them in 1970 ... and kept adding to my collection.

Regular Contributor

I wear a scarf with my outerwear coat every day during Fall/Winter.

I own lots of scarves and wear them frequently with dresses, sweaters,

blouses.  I have noticed this winter that some are just too warm to keep on

when I am inside - this was not a problem previously.

Respected Contributor

I have only a few scarves -- some for wear with my winter coats/jackets and one or two that go with particular knit tops. I have difficulty finding scarves that "work" with my size; I am short, have a slight build, and have a small head. The amount of fabric on many scarves overwhelms me, so I am usually on the lookout for scarves that are narrower than average and less voluminous. I frequently like the look on others.

Super Contributor

Because I lean toward solid colors, I wear scarves a lot.  Whenever I travel I pack quite a few scarves because they stretch my wardrobe look without packing so much.  Over the years I have built up a collection of Isaac and Joan Rivers scarves and I am glad I did.  Especially Isaac, his prints and colors are amazing.  I just bought 4 colors of a Denim & Co sleeveless beach dress.  I will add a scarf and look finished.  If it is too cold in the grocery store or restaurant, I have something to drape over my shoulders.  And lastly, I find a scarf an economical accessory.  They always fit, I never have to return, I can wear them for years and they are cheaper than buying a new top.  I wear a scarf almost every day.

Honored Contributor

There are scarves and there are scarves.   I wear knitted or wool blend or cashmere scarves under my coats or around my neck when the weather is really cold.  I like to be warm.  I do wear fashion scarves, more so in warm weather than in cooler weather.  I hate to feel cold air conditioning on my neck and shoulders and I also like to add some color and print to my outfits which tend to be neutrals.  So, I have a collection of pretty scarves that I wear.  I like tying them in various ways.  I'll wear a long solid maxi skirt with a little white tee shirt and I'll look a long, flowy chiffon scarf around my neck or over my shoulders or I might even tie a scarf around my waist.  I do things like that.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It seems like they're still worn a lot. Not around here necessarily. Maybe at work?

Where do you wear them? Will you wear them in summer?

What's your favorite way to wear them if you do?

I never wear them.

Respected Contributor

I often wear a scarf for a dash of color, but I tend to tuck them into open shirts or tied in various ways at the neck under tunics for just a dash of color and pattern. It brightens me up and makes me feel pulled together. I have some black cowl-neck tunics that I often wear in winter, and a scarf adds a bit of color (.and warmth) to fill in where the cowl drapes open. In summer, sometimes I just tie a small scarf around the handles of my handbag. I stick with silk scarves, and some of my faves are classic Hermes pieces that I have had for decades. They never go out of style.