Honored Contributor

Re: Scarf/Caftan Tops, Yay or Ney?

I'm not a fan of them on me.  Colleen Lopez on HSN does a lot of scarf/poncho tops in her collection and she looks fabulous in them and so do many other women.  

As a 5'4" pear shape, I feel like that much fabric on the top, with no shape anywhere, makes me look huge.  I've bought them thinking I was cute then caught a glimpse of myself walking past a mirror.  Not good.    

Respected Contributor

I like them and have a couple of them.  They feel great on.  Nice and cool and breezy.  I wear a Jockey cotton camisole underneath them.  Last time I wore one, I  got several nice comments from strangers. That one was a pretty blue and white Vince Comuto that I bought in Macy's last year.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love a scarf print top, and those are very pretty. 

At 5'4", I'm supposed to stick to structured styles, but I don't always play by the rules. I think these look good if paired with fitted (say, skinny) jeans or pants.

I've always liked peasant tops and the Boho look. Unfortunately, some peasant tops are too voluminous, with gathers and tiers and lots of material. Those can be overwhelming on me, plus some veer into babydoll territory (a bad place to be at my age).

Scarf print tops give off a similar vibe, but with simpler lines.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva I know what you mean...I look great in my mirror at home, I'll avert my eyes from any wayward mirrors...

Honored Contributor

You're right, they have been around forever.  I don't dislike them but it's not a style I would wear now.  Perhaps because I did wear them back in the mid 70's and 80's. Been there, done that.

Respected Contributor

Nay.  They always remind me of mu-mus (or is it moo-moos)  from the 1960s.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I never liked those kind of tops nor caftans. I don't see many around my area,Chicago burbs.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I think they are pretty and look best on slender, tall women.  I think I am too busty to wear these.  Either that or I am just stuck in my boring fashion sense.  Plus I just don't like having extra fabric hanging around.  I rarely see anyone wearing tops like this in FL, but I don't see a lot of people either.

I alway wonder what happens when you raise your arms.  Does the whole top go up too?  

Enjoy them if you love them.  If you like what you are wearing, it shows!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful silk scarf top from Karen Cane.  If you like it, why not wear it occasionally.  You might want to get one or two in silk which really shows color beautifully and wear them occasionally.

I thought this one from Amazon was absolutely beautiful!  I'd wear it with tonal bottoms, or white to brighten it up.  A simple earring, one thin bracelet, and you're done.  The mistake would be over accessorizing. 

There's also a pinterest page on "The Best Scarf Tops".

Enjoy whatever you chose to do.Smiley Happy

Image result for scarf tops

Esteemed Contributor

I like them. They are just marvelous fro summer. Enjoy them.