Respected Contributor

Same Items in Certain Colors w/Different prices????

What's up with that?  I've noticed it several times recently with shoes and clothing.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Same Items in Certain Colors w/Different prices????

I see more and more retailers doing this to get rid of out-of-season colors fast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@makena ~ I couldn't sleep last night and saw a presentation for a leather Vera Bradley bag.  There were only five colors and three of them were offered at a clearance price.  The host mentioned those colors were being retired.  It was a pretty hefty discount, too.  I can't say I've ever seen that before.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder if too many of one particular color was ordered.  Most likely though (because QVC knows their audience), it might be whatever color it is they have trouble selling that color.

It could be any number of things.  If people don't mind and just buy a color then they can always say, "We've already sold out of one color."

I always find it interesting when sales tactics are used because I either want something....or I don't.  It's not like I'm a fashion maven, so I wear what makes ME feel good.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday or day before they were selling a top - two of the colors were reduced in price; but the other 8 ? colors not.  Host said they had too many of the 2 in inventory and reduced $ to sell.

Honored Contributor

I think this procedure is relatively new for QVC, but it's been used by some retailers for a long time.  One that comes to my mind is Vera Bradley -  they often have a variety of prices for the same style with some colors on sale for lower prices.  Just check their website.

I've also seen this on sales racks locally -  with even items exactly the same at different prices.  The sales clerk said it was because they'd been purchased at different times. 

Seems like a good thing for the consumer -  they would be unlikely to put all of their stock on sale when they'd just like to get rid of a few items and someone who wants that color gets a good deal.  We can wish they'd put everything lower prices on everything -  I'd like to be 3 inches taller while we're daydreaming!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I buy a brand of handbags sold on QVC on another site.  Sure enough, some bags with colors that are being discontinued or overstocked get steep discounts, but the same bag in a popular color such as black or navy is always at a higher price.  I guess QVC has adopted the practice.  

Respected Contributor

Sometimes they are older colors or colors from a previous season, sometimes they have too many of a particular color so they're trying to reduce inventory, and sometimes they don't have very many left and want to clear a color out. As was mentioned previously, the practice is very common at other retailers but is relatively new at QVC.