Esteemed Contributor

Sales up at QVC but not for clothing and jewelry

Very interesing interview of Mike George (head of QVC and HSN) on "Here and Now" radio program today. 

He said --

To adapt to customers’ needs during a crisis, the channels are tailoring sales pitches to fit the moment. George says he’s seen a more “fundamental shift” in customers’ buying habits in recent months than ever before.

Sales for clothing, accessories and jewelry are down, he says — while cooking, decor, outdoor, health and fitness products have grown.

He also admitted that shipping is slower --

Shipping is taking longer than usual during the crisis and the networks have been transparent about the delays, he says. The company had to rethink its fulfillment centers and enact strict rules around social distancing.

“It meant eliminating all the normal productivity standards because we wanted the message to be clear: We want you to be safe, not fast,” he says.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sales up at QVC but not for clothing and jewelry

I am barely wearing jewelry and not bracelets or rings because of all the handwashing and hand sanitizing.

I have bought clothes in stores but none of the dressing rooms are open in the stores so I am having to guess or try stuff on over my clothes or just buy duplicates of things I already own like bras.

Honored Contributor

'Gee',  it sure seems, to me, that fashions are selling very well on the Q.

'That goes to show you' that things aren't really always what they seem to be.

'Still'.............As I watch, things have been selling well.

"Oh, well".............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I thought the gourmet food items were selling well. I have seen many sell out while watching. Since he didn't mention that I must be wrong. 

Honored Contributor

If he thinks they've been transparent, he's delusional.  Everything with QVC is a big secret; even the employees are clueless as to what's going on.

If he wants to know why clothing and jewelry sales are down, all he has to do is ask the customers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Wouldn't it be nice if QVC would offer free shipping, especially given the slower shipping times.  I guess they don't need to - sales are up - stores have been closed.  

Regular Contributor

@22eyesblue wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if QVC would offer free shipping, especially given the slower shipping times.  I guess they don't need to - sales are up - stores have been closed.  

It might be nice, but free shipping would generate many more orders and they can't handle what they have now.  I have several orders in process for two weeks.  I can wait, I sure am not going anywhere anytime soon,  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Clothing and jewelry sales have been down for quite some time, not only during Covid-19; however, it appears Mike George is blaming it on the virus.  

By this time, after all the renovating and new warehouses, most everything would be automated...no longer needing a lot of employees, let alone working close together.

QVC is very secretive compared to most other companies, so we may never know why it appears so dysfunctional...at least it does to me.