Esteemed Contributor

Re: SPINOFF from WIW Chico's boho top...

You are very brave, I would be terrified to try that (I can't sew at all).   I love it both ways and the look is great.  Your post looks like an online Chico's picture!   I enjoy them Smiley Happy

PS: I just purchased a very similar white flowy top on Chico's website.  No lace on the bottom, LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congrats on changing your top to suit you better! 

I'm not much of a seamstress so I don't do much myself except repair button and hook fastenings. I also do a few small stitches in some v-neck tops to make them less revealing. 

I use my tailor for all kinds of alterations to existing garments. It costs a bit of money, but over the years, she's done great work for me, and it's worth it to get a garment that suits me better.

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF 

Great choice.  I agree in taking that off.  I have done that before and I actually don't like a lot of "entrapment" or "accoutrement" as the case may be.  I agree with changing out the espadrilles for the sandal or the mule.  The jewelry is all pretty.  I like it all. I am a flash-and-dash when it comes to jewelry.  I like bangles, a necklace and some earrings most days unless I'm hot and then all the necklaces have to go.  You have such great taste in fashion.  I bet your home is tastefully decorated as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF : Well done- as always.

I think your edit makes a pretty blouse more wearable and less precious.

That's another significant beauty of thrifted fashion: you took a chance with cutting the scalloped hem off the lace. Worst case: you have to trash ( or donate) the top and you are out just a few dollars. 

One of my thrifted finds yesterday was a white eyelet top/blazer for $3. 100% cotton, lined. Probably donated because it's Dry Clean Only. Saw something similar and very cute at j.jill for $150.

Trying to think of multiple ways to wear it. Input welcome.

Super Contributor

Thanks @godi   I'm just thankful my big fat idea and my scissors didn't ruin it haha.

@Roscoe the Rascal   Yes, I love playing in and shopping my closet.  Adding a third pop of color in a bracelet is a great idea...thanks!

Hi @author   For some reason, the pics help me a lot in "seeing" other possibilities...love to edit!

@teganslaw   My girlfriend liked the scalloped hem, too.

@ladyfox412   If you try it, go sloooow and be very, very careful!!  I tried to find a pic of Glenn Close in the Lafayette blouse, but nothing came up for me either.

@LindaSal   I was a little terrified haha!  How do you plan to wear your white flowy top?  Wear yours in good health.

Hi @wilma   A good seamstress/tailor is a blessing, if you can find one.  Worth it ITA.

Thanks @Nonametoday   The boho top is a departure from my usually more classic, minimalist preferences

@queendiva   "More wearable and less precious" = exactly!  White eyelet blazer sounds pretty...any color tank would be an easy choice.  A sleeveless collared button front shirt, too.  Over a sleeveless dress.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF It is not overly long so I most likely will wear it with some nice capri's.  I have several colors and matchy sandals for some!  So it'll be a cute outfit for a dinner out or a concert.   Thank you for always responding to people and all of your time you put into your  fashion posts Smiley Happy   It's appreciated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva wrote:

@MacDuFF : Well done- as always.

I think your edit makes a pretty blouse more wearable and less precious.

That's another significant beauty of thrifted fashion: you took a chance with cutting the scalloped hem off the lace. Worst case: you have to trash ( or donate) the top and you are out just a few dollars. 

One of my thrifted finds yesterday was a white eyelet top/blazer for $3. 100% cotton, lined. Probably donated because it's Dry Clean Only. Saw something similar and very cute at j.jill for $150.

Trying to think of multiple ways to wear it. Input welcome.

@queendiva @MacDuFF 

You ladies are the queens of shopping/thrifting.  I wish we had great consignment stores in this area.  We did 30-40 years ago but as the population aged and the more affluent and successful young people move to the big cities.

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDuFF  I love a good pair of scissors! Stitch Witchery and bonding tape are my dear friends.

I love how your top turned out.  I have cut off a couple tops this season  that were double tiered.  I just cut off under the top tier and no one was the wiser.  It made my DG2 and Louis del'Olio tops more like crop and I am able to front tuck.  I haven't attempted lace, though.  I figure if I'm not wearing it the way it is, I might as well try tweaking it.....there is always the thrift bag. Woman Wink

Good job!  And again, I love your jewelry.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@MacDuFF  I love a good pair of scissors! Stitch Witchery and bonding tape are my dear friends.

I love how your top turned out.  I have cut off a couple tops this season  that were double tiered.  I just cut off under the top tier and no one was the wiser.  It made my DG2 and Louis del'Olio tops more like crop and I am able to front tuck.  I haven't attempted lace, though.  I figure if I'm not wearing it the way it is, I might as well try tweaking it.....there is always the thrift bag. Woman Wink

Good job!  And again, I love your jewelry.

@tends2dogs  I did that to a tiered Linea skirt from c.2010 in silk.  Very pretty skirt but too long actually for me and it was easy to take one tier off.  It was the ikat print if any of you remember that skirt.

Trusted Contributor

The new version of your top is so flattering on you @MacDuFF .

Nothing like a pair of scissors to change the look of an outfit. 😁