Honored Contributor

SHOPOHOLICS ODAT Memorial Day 5/30/2016

Good morning to all. Didn't see a thread yet. Hope everyone is doing well today and have something enjoyable on their agenda for today as well as remembering what the day is all about.

Myself, not so much fun on the agenda, lol. I'll be mowing the yard, doing yet another couple laundry loads and making dinner. Not all that fun, but it is what it is. I may, or may not, do some online shopping later on.

Waves to all.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPOHOLICS ODAT Memorial Day 5/30/2016

Memorial-Day.jpg

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Good Morning Snicks, I'm tuned into a Gidget TV show marathon and trying to motivate myself to go grocery shopping, ugh.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx @Snicks1 for the start, I'm up & ready, going to our neighborhood Memorial Day Parade, then later a bbq at the neighbors down the block, made that pea salad, it's ok but don't think I'd make it again. Hope you get all your chores done & then relax.

@Bird mama, hope you enjoy the last day of your long week-end, whatever you end up doing.  How's your sister doing?

Sadie caught another "animal" can't identify it, did take a pix & emailed to many, everyone seems to have a different opinion, tried to copy/paste here a jillion times, couldn't get it to work, the latest is a wood chuck, might be it, ugly thing.  Don't know what it was doing in my yard, I'm in an urban area not rural at all, although we have had deer roaming the neighborhood.

Waves to all that stop by & hoping your day is a good one

Essie

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone - thanks for getting us started Snicks.  I can't linger here too long, as I have a busy day.  My Mom is coming over, then we're going by the cemetary to visit my Dad's grave, then we're driving out-of-town for a family BBQ at my sister's house.   I made potato salad to bring along.  My DS had said that he would drive us, but he just texted me and back out.  Sometimes I really dislike my DS, as he does this sort of thing frequently.  Anyway, this will be the first time my Mom has seen my sister's house.

My ancestors who fought in wars always seemed to survive them.  But I'm going to give a shout out to my DH for serving in the Marine Corps for 9 years, my Dad for serving in the Army Air Corps during WWII, my maternal Grandpa for serving as an engineer in the U.S. army during WWI, and my paternal Grandpa for serving in the Canadian army during WWI.  I appreciate all they did.  And for all those currently serving in the armed forces, I lift up a prayer for protection, and thoughts of gratitude.

I hope you all have a blessed day!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
❤️
Respected Contributor

I also watched the Memorial Day concert---I try to watch it every year.  I always cry during the personal stories!. 

Was awake from 2 until after 4.  Finally got to sleep when I realized the fan had stopped.  Reached for the light and nothing!.  I went outside to look at the pole---looked ok.  Was debating calling the electric----but it was raining and I didn't relish the thought of standing out in the rain with the electric---actually I watch---they have to gain access to the pole from my neighbors drive through a locked gate---always a "pleasure".  But fortunally the power came back on  SAw on FB that over 600 customers were affected when lightening struck a substation.  They had it back up---thankfully.

Respected Contributor

Laundry, going to put flags on my grandfather's grave, and my mom is having a small family cookout later.

⭐Remembering those that served and are no longer with us. ⭐
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPOHOLICS OEnjDAT Memorial Day 5/30/2016

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Snicks.

Nothing exciting planned here either.  I am focused on a difficult de-cluttering project now.  Going through papers/pictures/cards, etc. deciding what to keep and what to trash.  I have found a few things to donate along the way.  I found that I had ordered a set of headphones that aren't as nice as the ones I already had (but had tucked away).  So, someone will be able to purchase nice, practically new headphones from the thrift shop.  I'm trying not to feel guilty for wasting money.  

Very nice picture and reminder of the true meaning of this day.  Like Charlene and several others who post, quite a few of my relatives have served, including my Dad who was with the Army Air Corps in WWII like hers.  My brother was in Vietnam, and my second DGS is in the Army Reserves now.  

Hope you get your grocery shopping done, Bernie.  I am trying to decide whether to go to the store today, or wait -- decisions, decisions.  Not that I need much, but there is some produce on sale this week (ending tomorrow) that I'd like to buy.

Essie -- have fun at the parade and BBQ.  I sure would not want to find an unidentified dead animal.  But, I guess Sadie is trying to please.

Enjoy the barbecue, Charlene.  Sorry your DS let  you down.  Must be very frustrating.

Hope your weather improves, LindaR, and your power does not go out again.  I really have trouble sleeping when it is very hot at night, so I imagine the lack of a fan would wake me up.  

Waves to butterfly, Cumbercookie13, Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, Gayle, pinky ann, Rosa, Karen, Barbara, and all of our posters and readers.

DH had a pretty good night (only got up once, around 4:00 a.m.), and the sheets were okay this morning.  He continues to make messes regularly, but I am getting better at cleaning.  I use the disposable gloves the hospice caregiver brought (I am allowed to do so), and lots of wipes, etc.  And, of course lots of cleaners and room spray.

Hope everyone has a good holiday!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPOHOLICS OEnjDAT Memorial Day 5/30/2016

Hi girls! 

Well, I got to bed around 6 a.m., as homework ended up being a real b...EAR.  Cat Wink  I'm not enjoying these classes; they're in finance, an area I worked in for many years, but I'm having a problem with all the ratios that have to be calculated - I never seem to get the right answer. What's frustrating is at one time I used to know this stuff, but I seem to have forgotten it. 

Today was supposed to be a relaxing day, but I spent the last hour trying to fix problems with Firefox, which gets worse and worse all the time.  (sigh)  It wouldn't let me into many websites, including FB, YouTube, my school website, my bank... I called the school IT help desk which is wonderful; they're supposed to get back to me, but I finally figured out what was wrong. I had reinstalled Adfender because it seemed to have disappeared (Commercials on a two minute YouTube video?  Really?) and it was blocking sites on Firefox.  Not IE or Chrome...just Firefox, which I'm coming to hate more and more.

Anyway, I haven't been out of the house since Friday, so I'll be taking the dogs for a drive later; I have returns for Walmart and Ross, but since they'll have to be left in the car I'll have to wait until the sun goes down. I feel like going to out eat, but have a case of the "I want something but don't know whats."  Cat Frustrated

LindaR, glad you got the power back; I was reading about the bad weather in your area earlier.

Unlike some of you, I enjoy grocery shopping; I like to see what's new. Right now I'm back to trying to get things in the freezer used up so I can make a trip to Trader Joe's in a few weeks. 

My father was in WW II, my uncle (who's out of the hospital although they still don't know what's wrong) in Korea, and I have no idea of who else was where.  I don't even know most of my family, thanks to my mother.  Oh well...  Charlene, Marines are my FAVORITE!  <3  Thank your husband for his service.

Sorry about all you have to go through, LindaL - I always pray for you.

The Cat Concoctions cat foods are all a huge hit; I got them on Amazon, as I haven't seen them in the stores yet, but every flavor has gone over very well.  Do try them.  Well, not YOU, your kitties... Cat LOL

Guess I'll listen to the Bible prophecy updates I didn't have time for yesterday, have lunch, then think about heading out.  I still haven't gotten around to switching my purses...maybe I'll get to that today.

Have a blessed day, everyone!