Trusted Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS odat Sat. 9/23/17

Hi everyone, I didn't see a thread started.  Haven't been posting this week, but I read when I could.  bernie - enjoy your new purse, Jean, did you make up your mind about the vacation plans?  How is the subbing going?  Linda - hope the anti-seizure meds work for your DH (I take 2 anti-seizure meds every day for my Dystonia - very grateful that they work), twinny - your deli dinner sounded good, 3Suwm5 - oh...I really need a reminder about the CCs.  Haven't been too good with the shopping.

I had forgotten to mention earlier that my DD's vet school roommate for all 4 years lives in Puerto Rico now, working for the Dept. of Agriculture.  She's okay, but the flooding, downed trees, etc. has made life very difficult.  There are many people residing there who want to leave with their pets, and it's her job to ensure that animals are healthy/non-contagious before the animals travel to a foreign country.  Lots of demand for her services, but it's almost impossible under the circumstances to get her work done.  

The temperature here has been much cooler than usual and its been wonderful.  Yesterday I cleaned and organized my storage shed.  Today I think I'm going to work on the garage.  I made a "what-was-I-thinking?" mistake on Wednesday.  For some reason I had gotten it into my head that it was Thursday, so I got all dressed up and went to my Bible study, only to find an empty parking lot.  I did a quick check of my phone and realized that yep, I was a day off.  Good grief.  Seriously.  On the other hand, I didn't do like my DH and lose my wallet.  He sprained his knee last week and was paying so much attention to that, that he somehow lost his wallet.  So now all of our cards and stuff are cancelled and being replaced.  I know that he felt bad about it.

Yesterday my DD had to call the police to the workplace.  She was the only vet working yesterday and they had a client who kept calling and demanding dog food which is on back order.  She called repeatedly and was verbally abusive to the staff.  Then at closing she showed up in person and pushed her way in and was yelling at them and refusing to leave.  My DD called the police and it took the police one full hour to arrive.  Geesh.  Anyway, it was a unpleasant experience for all.  Hard to know when a "client" is being an abusive bully, or if they have a mental illness.  One deserves more compassion than the other.  Anyway, my DD and the police handled it well and made sure the woman left the premises.  

Hope that you all have a nice weekend!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS odat Sat. 9/23/17

[ Edited ]

Hi Charlene @cerb and thanks for starting the thread.

I just finished mowing the front yard and am cooling off in the A/C with some cold water.  Not complaining about the heat and humidity as so many people are truly suffering as a result of the earthquakes and hurricanes.  

I like the new bag and will condition the leather this weekend which will help deepen the color to perfection.  

I'm sure the Lord smiled when you showed up as an eager student for Bible study a day early.

Your DD's experience yesterday is unsettling.  This is probably not the best advice but if it happens again, maybe if she says I'm afraid for my life, the cops will get there faster (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Three days of heat for New Jersey starting today. I started cleaning the inside windows and changed the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide batteries. Looking forward to the Autumn weather...

Image result for saturday friends images

Esteemed Contributor

CERB, I guess going to Bible study a day too early is better than a day late.  As much as I hate hot weather, i am ashamed to complain because we have central a/c.  My prayers go out to your DD's friend in PR.  Such difficult working conditions.  My dh losing his billfold would be a nightmare.  He has all of our cards.

Birdmama, I really like the color of your new bag.  I bought a pair of Merlot pants at Van Heusen & really like the color.  It will be my new fall & winter color.

I got up early & got more laundry out before it got too hot.  I was checking my emails at 7:00 a.m. only to find an unsettling email when our dd.  Their 16 year old son had a bad run in last night with the soccer goalie from the other team  

He has a broken tibia & femur.  I am glad that she  wasn't there, but her DH was.  She was at their other sons soccer game at home.  She left for MKE & relieved her DH at 3:00.  Then again maybe she should have been there as she is a RN (now sahm) for the screaming & the ambulance ride.  I feel sorry for her DH.

I don't know what that dot is, but it wont go away.

Our dgs had surgery at 9:30 this morning. He had a metal rod put in since his growth plate on his tibia is fused.  His femur growth plate isn't completely fused, so he may grow & inch or two.  The nurse said that things were going well.  The Dr. said recovery is quicker that way & he won't have to have a hard cast.  Hopefully he will be able to go home tomorrow.

I left early for my walk & forgot to put on the coffee pot.  DH went without & I will have iced coffee this afternoon.

We were going to watch our dgs's play soccer next week.  Chris is done playing soccer & marching band are done for this year.  We are just thankful that he didn't get head injures.

I am still a nervous wreck though. This was his homecoming weekend & he had lots of plans with guys & gals.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Meallen, it has been hot here since Wednesday & will be  hot tomorrow & Monday. Then 70's & some much needed rain.  Nice graphic.  I am so ready for fall temperatures.  I love cool/cold weather, pumpkin everything & the fall colors.

Bird Mama, on Thursday my DH picked a 5 gal. pail of walnuts right under my clothesline in about 5 minute's.  It is our neighbors tree, but they are everywhere.  I have been very careful when hanging laundry.  They hit the ground with a THUD.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Thank you for starting the thread. Your DD certainly had a frightening experience. Her roommate in vet school definitely has a challenge. I've been to Puerto Rico and I can say that the pictures shown on TV don't really capture how bad the situation is.

Our travel dates to Puerto Rico were outside the approved window on the Delta website for ticket changes at no cost. That didn't stop me. I called and managed to get the ticket changed without the $200 fee. I did have to pay a small amount for the difference in ticket cost for a trip to Seattle. We have not been there.

My niece is locked into a certain week for her vacation which would have been the week for Puerto Rico. As a result, we are just doing 3 days and nights in Seattle  during that time to keep  the airfare almost the same as the Puerto Rico ticket.  Airfares amaze me how much difference one day can make in the fare. I don't think Seattle in November is the best month but we had to work around my niece's time off. At least, the ticket is being used and not forfeited.

I went to the city today and got my hair styled and nails done. For some reason, I am exhausted possibly from the work schedule and worrying about getting the ticket changed. I'm heading to bed to rest and read.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@meallen616  We were having autumnal weather there for a few weeks and I was loving it.  Now the heat is back 

Related image

Honored Contributor

@twinny70  Bless your grandson's little heart.  His father being there for his son's suffering (ambulance rider) is good for the father, he he he. 

Honored Contributor

@twinny70  Twinny, last weekend the tree looked like it was literally flinging the walnuts off.  I was scrambling looking for the helmut I bought when I bought my Schwinn bike a few years ago.  Wouldn't you know, I tossed the thing.  I couldn't find a small enough bucket to put on my head so I was dodging the walnuts last weekend.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I'm glad you were able to make alternate trip reservations.