Trusted Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS One Day at a Time Tuesday April 18

Hi friends - didn't see a thread started for today. I've been good and haven't purchased anything for a few days, lol. Well, it is one day at a time isn't it? I have a quiet chore day planned for today. I will do some laundry, work on sewing my DS's comforter, do some Bible study, etc. Weather is wonderful, and I've had a lot of tomato seeds sprout in their little peat pots. For those of you who pray - keep my nephew in mind. He was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 8 years old and is 25 now. He has never taken very good care of his health. Now his kidneys are only functioning at 30% and the doctor's are talking about dialysis and transplants. In addition, he might be losing his eyesight. Even with all these problems, he doesn't take care of his health, refuses counseling or support groups. It's frustrating and sad. Hoping that you all are doing well and have a blessed day ~ Charlene
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS One Day at a Time Tuesday April 18

For your nephew,

Image result for sending prayers images

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Charlene.  I will pray for your nephew.  It is so difficult when loved ones refuse to take care of their health.  Glad you are having wonderful weather, and have a quiet day ahead.

It is nice and sunny/hot here today, and I am feeling a little better than yesterday.  I tried a new allergy medicine (OTC), and it seemed to help.  The only possible problem is that I was extremely tired this morning.  That is not normal for me.  Of course, it could be due to something other than the drug.

I had a call from our neighbor last night.  I knew that there was a lot of activity at her house, and it turns out that she had a colon blockage, and had an operation in February.  Her daughter was there (she and her husband were spending the winter here), and she took care of her Mom along with a visiting nurse until last week.  One thing I didn't know is that under Medicare or insurance rules (can't remember), you cannot drive as long as you are having the visiting nurse.  While she doesn't drive a lot, our neighbor has been going to the pool every day for years (short drive), plus she goes to church and plays bridge and shuffleboard often.  She told me she took a chance and drove up to the church the other day which helped a lot.  I am amazed at how strong she is at age 88.  She has lost a bunch of weight, but is getting better.

I have my volunteer job at the senior lunch program today, and then I'll go to the gym and visit DH.  His daughter got home from Mexico late Sunday night, and had to go into work yesterday.  But, we did have a chance to talk for a while.  And, she talked with her Dad.  Not sure what is going on, but DH keeps trying to tell me something, but he can't figure out how to do so.  However, he continues to smile when he sees me.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone -- we have a wet week ahead, showers here and there.  Temps. should be in the 50s, so not too bad.

Today is a grocery run for me, always an expensive job.  I need to find some enthusiasm for food and cooking.  I'm just tired of the job.

@cerb  I will pray for your nephew; kidney disease runs in our family and that is something I would not wish on anyone.  Dialysis is a way of life, until a transplant happens.  Not a great way to live, a considerable portion of it in the dialysis chair.  I hope your nephew can begin to understand how he can help himself, before it is too late.

@meallen616  Beautiful butterfly.

@LindaLatte  Allergy time is always a setback.  My DH and I use the NeilMed sinus rinse system, suggested by a nurse.  It has helped us tremendously and is merely a saline rinse, no side effects.  I was skeptical, as I used claritin everyday -- to my surprise, it has worked.

Your neighbor sounds like the energizer bunny, I hope I have half of her energy at 88.

I sure hope that your DH can find his words to express what's on his mind, it's important that he is happy for both of you.

It sounds like you have a busy day ahead.

Enjoy your day everyone.  Keep the CCs in the shadows, if possible.

Respected Contributor

Hello friends!  Charlene, I really feel for your nephew. I know I am in line for "the diabeetus" as we call it, and need to make some changes but it is so discouraging to me. I went to the dr yesterday and all the weight I had lost is back and more. I bought a bunch of fresh food today but it is very difficult to me to do without things I love and to cook healthier versions that my Cowboy does not appreciate. His friend has a daughter who is having some significant consequences of diabetes and everytime we talk to her (Easter) we hang up the phone and I tell him I need to change my life.

Linda I can't imagine not being able to drive.  My car is using water and I made an appt today - for next week!  And can't drive it until I get it in to be seen.  This next week is going to test my patience! My Mom runs every day and I am always amazed - but all your walking is very impressive too. I need to get out there and walk more.

3suwm5 I do not enjoy cooking either and am still adjusting to cooking for 2.  I do not have room in my fridge for much leftovers!

I am just now starting to look for a job here. I had a couple trips to the dentist, got my teeth cleaned and a root canal is in my near future. Most of my dental visits seem to involve trauma of one type or another.  lol They couldn't get me in for a month so hopefully it will be ok until then. 

Honored Contributor

@cerb  I'll pray for your nephew.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Thank you for starting the thread. Prayers, of course, for your nephew. Health issues are handled so differently by people and it is hard to understand why some seem to ignore what might help them.

Kathleen--It has been quite an adjustment for you in moving to near Seattle. I do hope you get the dental work done plus find a job as it helps establish networking plus feeling of being involved.

Linda--I know DH enjoys your visits and seeing you despite his struggles to verbalize what he wants to say. You certainly have an energetic neighbbor.

meallen--Beautiful and thoughtful graphic.

3suwm5--I have yet to make my major grocery run but I know when I do, it will be an expensive proposition. The CCs have been inactive since the weekend.

I'm working every day this week. For some reason, this has been an unusually active work period for a school sub. Part off the reason is that there is a sub shortage.

Late last Fall, I bought a pair of Clarks Ashland Lane shoes. Instead of wearing them, I wore boots in the Winter. This week I started wearing them. These shoes are great. I wouldn't mind having another pair but there is a limited color selection on the Q right now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.