Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. We are having another "snow day" as another storm moved through late last night and early this morning. I was awakened at 4:30am with a text alert from the state alerting me to the local school closure...and our county was just one of many.

I was waiting for someone else to start the thread as you need a different perspective at times. The shopping gene has been deactivated here but that is just a temporary measure. That not working because of school closures has really affected the budget. Although I had planned to cut back at the beginning of January for a variety of reasons, I did not expect this impact.

This has been the worst winter since I working for school closures. Today makes Day 16 of school closures since January. We have already used all available days under the current school law to make up days. Next year, that changes so that all days will be made up so some counties are considering not having school during January but during Summer instead. We already begin mid-August. It will be interesting to see how the new school law will play out as the individual school districts (counties in our state) develop their own school calendar as long as it meets the state requirements.

I debated what to do with a road trip to Nashville and Memphis a friend and I had scheduled for June. We are planning to go ahead with it but we are just doing Nashville to cut costs. I do like to travel as there is so little to do here and I like to store up memories of places visited. Call it my Bucket List of things to do. I have a return to San Antonio as part of that list.

Right now, I'm watching the wig show. Some of the styles look nice but they really need to have ones with some mixed grey/brown in it. I saw the TSV. I have to admit that I have the previous version of this and have yet to actually use it. I took it with me to Hawaii just in case it was needed but it never was called to be used. So much for cost effectiveness.

We eventually will have Spring-like days. At this point in time, there is little need to buy clothes. My focus is more on household needs at this point. I do know that I need to use my Kohls card in a couple of months to keep it active. Right now, I'm in Day 57 of not buying anything that is not an essential or need.

I wish each and everyone of you a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

This is the Interstate near me so picture what the other roads are like since the Interstates have priority when it comes to managing travel conditions caused by snow.

Photo: Bad day for a road trip. 79 north Veronica Lowther Jill Trippett

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY)

Wow sixteen days of school closures. I know that standardized testing is so important how does this affect the scheduling?

It is raining here now---chance of some freezing stuff later. But nothing like what you are experiencing

I also have been on a non essential shopping hiatus. I have plenty of clothes and other items are carefully considered. I love shoes----but don't need any---but I do look.

Wow this month has zipped on by.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting today, sorry about the no working. I know you like to work with the kids and have projects to figure into your budget. Yesterday when I went to start the thread the system kicked me off. Of course it was a long thread and I just did not feel like trying again. Did some need shopping this morning, just a couple items from Wally World, I prefer Target but they do not carry the brand of concealer I needed.

I was in Nashville years ago, and loved it. Be aware that a lot of the places you may visit, close at 5:00. Please be sure to check the times that places are open until. We got to Nashville around 4:30 when we drove down, our hotel was beside the Country Hall of Fame Museum, so we decided to go there to walk around to stretch our legs and it was closed, it was open from 9-5, thought that was weird for a tourist attraction.

We had a little snow this morning (about an inch) and it did cause traffic tie ups in Pittsburgh, they were showing how the traffic was still tied up at 9:00, by then the roads should be moving better.

Well off to get some caffeine and do something constructive around here, not sure what it is going to be, but I know I can find something.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Sorry about all of your lost school days. Although we have already had 34 snowfalls, the schools have only been canceled about 5-6 times.

What state do you live in? I didn't hear about anybody getting a lot of snow right now. We started our minus temps Sunday and today it was minus 25 when we got up. Tomorrow when DH & I have to go to my neurological checkup at the Big Clinic, they say chill factor will be minus 40. Maybe light snow for us Friday but still bitter cold until the beginning of next week when we will be in the teens. YEAH!!! I can't wait for February to end. My bright spot tomorrow will be lunch out with our DD. She only lives about 15 minutes from where we will be going, and her DH will be working and the kids will be in school. It will give her a nice break for her. She has a very successful soap, scrubs, lip balms and many other things that she sells on the internet. She is very busy as she does everything in her own kitchen. I love to go to their home, as it always smells soooooo good.

Yesterday we did get some good news on my mom's eyes. She doesn't need to go back for 12 weeks instead of the every 4-6 weeks. She has MD so there isn't a lot they can do except to try to save what eyesight she has left.

Yes Kittyfan, February has zipped by even though it has been so bitter most of the month. I also love shoes, but have a hard time with getting ones that feel good and look nice. Rain sounds like a distant thing for us right now as it is so bitter cold.

Susan, I just got my caffeine fix too. I just have one cup of coffee in the morning, but I do miss it when I don't get it. Nothing exciting around here either. Time to fix lunch and after we get done in the hot tub, it will be time to fix dinner. How I wish I had a chef around here. DH NOT!!!

Hugs to all of you out there. I can't remember all of your names.

Regular Contributor

Good afternoon!

Cold and windy here. I think that we are going to take a little road trip to Charlotte NC on Saturday. We like to go to the Concord Milsl Mall, it is an outlet mall. I do need a few things from the Hanes/Bali outlet and would like a pair of black patent wedge sandals for summer.

Like PAlady and twinny I love my cup of coffee in the morning.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--glad I have a comrade in the effort to avoid non-essential shopping. Yes, the Almighty Tests! The schools are measured by them; the students are measured by them; and the teachers are measured by them. The State is quite black and white on what a non-performing school is and each one regardless of prior performance is expected to do better the next year. The State will not change the testing schedule, so teachers will be there pushing all the content objectives expected to be covered before the tests. Translated, that means professional meetings are out; the teachers will be in the classroom unless seriously ill.

Twinny--I live in West Virginia. Most of the county school districts are very rural. Many of the students live on secondary roads which become impassable when it snows. When I worked the evening program, I had to take a student home one evening. This was the longest 27 miles I ever traveled as 8 of it was over a side secondary road which was not two lanes but had berms. You pulled over if you met someone. Our first student is picked up at 6:30am and rides 30 miles on a school bus to get to the high school. These students never see daylight at home in the winter except on the weekends. When the weather is iffy but the busses are still running, many of these students have to walk to a place where the bus can pick them up or have someone drive them there simply because the bus cannot travel the bad road. It is not only the snow but the ice that makes it dangerous on these types of roads. We don't normally have winters this bad, so this is a very unusual year. I can remember having less than five snows a year and they were less than 3 inches and melted off quickly. This year, it has been big snows combined with severe cold.

Good news on your mother's eyes. I know you are greatly relieved. Enjoy the hot tub!

Susan--Thanks for the input. I always plan ahead to maximize use of the time I have. I've already checked out the activities in Nashville and plotted what we would be doing. I'm not much for one of those situations in which everyone debates what to do once they get there. We get together and have input and lock in the times. We usually leave a little time for spontaneous things but the important things are planned and booked ahead. People often have me plan things for them instead of a travel agent as I have a knack for snooping out deals with high ratings. Have a great day!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

Good morning everyone

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I forgot that you are in W. Va. My DH & I loved the Statler Brothers and decided to go to their final 25th year concert which was back in the early-mid 90's. The first time we went, we discovered that it was their 24th year reunion, so had to go back the next year for the Big 25th concert. It was held in Stanton, Va and quite a long drive for us here in WI. When we got there we found out that the concert was in a huge ball field and we needed chairs. We went to WalMart and bought 2 chairs and then went back about midnight that night to get in line to put our chairs up. There were probably 100,000 people at their concerts as it was always held July 4th weekend. WalMart had two colors of chairs. Blue & green. I had to buy duct tape to put our initials on the chair backs as there were thousands & thousands of green & blue chairs, What a hoot that was. Everything was free. From the parking, to the 4 day concerts to tours of their school house/museum. DH & I have been to WV and still come there sometimes when we get to PA from returning from our three week trip to the East Coast each year. I remember going to Beckley, Wv. I think that is where there used to be a huge fabric warehouse. It was always so hot, but we did see some beautiful places in VA & W Va. You sound like a great traveling companion, as you are quick to find out where to go and what to do. Right now I am so ready for a vacation.

Rosa, Have fun with your DH at the outlet mall. They are always fun as you never know what you will find or not find!

Respected Contributor

Hello Meeras!! And friends! Smiley Happy

It's chilly here too. I walked to the cafeteria for lunch and was sprinkling, got a ride on the way back. I should have brought "Marilyn" (my DB) with me today.

Yesterday was so stressful I was so glad to get home, then Kayla came by with the dogs. It was nice to see her. No plans tonight - I have my women's group so will probably get supper somewhere and take home to DH.

I did order my red swimsuit today, as I had a $30 coupon to use. It came out to the same price I paid for the black one that I'm sending back.

Regular Contributor

Twinny, My family was at that same concert. We have family that lives in Staunton and we went every year. We hated it when they quit doing these concerts. We loved the Statler Brothers! What a small world, we could have sat beside each other!