Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. I really enjoyed getting to work yesterday, but since it was in a self-contained class of challenging students, I was super exhausted when I got home. I guess it will take time to get adjusted again to work, however limited it is with the cutbacks. I don't like having work and income reduced at this point but it is beyond my control. There is no point in worrying about things beyond my control. Instead, I transfer that energy to things I can control.

We have great temperatures today, but I want to enjoy the day before something nasty moves in again. As a result, I'm going to the city to be with friends. I don't need to go for any purchases; it is just the sheer pleasure of getting out and enjoying each other without the worries associated with deep snow, black ice, falling hillsides, boulders, etc. I just have to dodge potholes today.

I am entering Day 50 of what I hope will be another day of not purchasing anything that is not an essential. True, I don't need to eat out but I include that as an essential for me as it addresses a personal need. I just watch what I order and reduce the typical cost of what I might spend when eating out.

I have to admit that I was tempted today. I read that thread on wigs and a site was mentioned that provided quality wigs with great reviews and at a great price. I had to check it out as I've been debating that. I saw one at a great price and as a new person I could get 15% off. I saw they provided a small sample of wig colors in your choice of color spectrum, so I had them to send me a sample. That delays the purchase and I might lose interest once I see the sample.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY)

Good morning Jean!! I got my Old Navy order yesterday. So my tee from last order fit so what did I do? That's right, ordered the next size down. Sad to say they did not fit. lol Another Medium shirt fit but way too stretchy. I did keep a cami. The swimsuit was cute and I was going to keep it, then decided to send it back. I guess I'm still thinking about it. I have another on my mind this one because I have 3 suits none skirted. But I can't find my coupon for that one. This is my continuing shopping angst.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--I thought the swim suit was cute on you. I do have one that has a slight skirt on it; it hides a slight bulge at the top of the thighs. You won't believe this but I found it at WalMart and it was a perfect fit....and is wearing well. Who would know? It is the only one I have. Personally, if you already have swim suits that are not skirted, one with a skirt would add variety.

I think you and DH have a great attitude about the job change. It is an opportunity and not a set back for him. Like I said, you work on controlling what you can control.

Well, I need to start getting ready to go to the city. I just opened a mailing from Kohls but the discounts in it don't start until tomorrow. Otherwise, I might have been tempted to stop at Kohls today.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Good morning!

Sounds like everyone is busy. I am so glad to be at work and out of the house. I do enjpy a snow day but not this many.

Our internet was down and although I do not need anything, I am not certain that if I had looked at "stuff" online that I could have resisted. There is a top at a local boutique that am stalking, it should be 1/2 price soon.

Not much else going on. Lots of phone calls today at the office.

Contributor

Good morning ladies...its sunny and cold here today, but at least it's not snowing. I did see a few mention on FB about another storm coming...I'm pretty much over winter.

Jean, have fun today!!! I have been pretty good with my shopping, better than I've been in a long time...I may finally be growing up (lol). I have only purchased one item from the Q since the beginning of the year. I did order some clothing from J Jill outlet a few weeks ago but it is stuff for spring/summer and it was much cheaper than ordering it from the regular site. I do have some items on my wish list, and I may cave and order something at the end of the month.

Kathleen, good luck with DH's job. I know we have taken a hit with all of the trouble with the Post Office, and my hubby has lost quite a bit of overtime, which we used to count on. We are just hoping and praying that my minivan holds out until May and then we will purchase a new/used car and finance that one, and hopefully save enough to buy something else in the summer so we can go back to being a two car family. I find I am worrying all the time about $$$$ and the car, and instead of doing something productive, I eat{#emotions_dlg.sad}. I'm trying to get better but it's just so hard!!!

It's almost official that Kendall will be going to study abroad in Switzerland beginning in August. She'll be back by the beginning of December. She has to have everything completed by the end of the month so we'll see. She has done almost everything so far but we'll see......

Sydney is home on Winter Break this week, she went to a friends yesterday but that's pretty much it for the week. We decorated cupcakes on Saturday and had a good time doing that. My mom's birthday party was Sunday and we totally pulled it off. Not much going on here for the rest of the week.

Have a good day everyone!!!!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Rosa--It is good to get out of the house; it is a sense of freedom. The thing that bothers me about big snows, is that it takes away the freedom of choice. If the weather is good, I can choose to go somewhere or stay home. If the roads are treacherous, I stay home as common sense says not to venture out. Keep stalking that top; hope it doesn't disappear before the magic half-price appears.

Nancy--Changes in employment make it difficult to plan and budget. It is amazing how a change in employment changes how we view things. Hopefully, the van lasts. You worry about the car, etc.; I worry about the cost of the HVAC replacement and foundation repair. It is always something to upset the financial apple cart. I think it is great that Kendall will be able to study abroad. Enjoy the time with Sydney; it is the little things that count and make great memories.

Respected Contributor

Nancy, about 12 years ago DH's work cut back to 32 hours and it was awfully hard on us. At the time we were a single income family and I remember our CC balances started rising. Thanks goodness we can count on the Lord to take care of our needs. It makes me think "do I really need this?" Which is a good thing. Good for you for cutting back!! What a wonderful opportunity for Kendall!

Jean, I think I have finally learned that His plan is better than mine. We may still have some hard times ahead, who knows? I feel very blessed and *honestly* I am tired of him coming home all stressed trying to keep the place going and making money for the company.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Great attitude and outlook. Experience can be a great teacher.

I'm off to the city; Outback, here I come!! AARP discount works wonders!

Respected Contributor

Will it be coconut shrimp? I've always wanted to plant some bulbs. The cost per wear is very high, though, since I lose interest and quit watering! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean, and have fun in the city. I wish DH liked Outback, but he doesn't (unfortunately.) Excellent shopping restraint on your part. I'm doing pretty well myself, but I have definitely purchased some "wants" in the past 50 days.

Hi Kathleen -- sorry the shirts didn't fit. I liked that swimsuit on you, but if you want a different type, no need to keep it. I had one slightly skirted swimsuit, which I loved. But, after several years it stretched out, and needed to be replaced. I have four swimsuits now, which should be plenty unless one of them falls apart. I do look for new suits when I'm out sometimes because finding a suit that fits me well is extremely difficult.

I am sure all will be okay with your DH and finding a new job, but I also know that some men can be very upset by job loses/changes. And, it often it is not just the loss of income, more a loss of "self" since they so strongly identify with their job and feel they should be the "provider". That was certainly the case with my ex. I'm sending some special prayers your way. While you are definitely a strong woman, prayers never hurt in my opinion.

Glad you made it to work today Rosa. I'm continuing to pray for your DH. It is wonderful that he can continue to work despite needing a transplant.

Really hope the minivan keeps going Nancy, and sorry you are worrying so much about finances. I think you and your DH are doing a great job keeping things together. Very exciting about Kendall. Hope she has a wonderful experience in Switzerland.

Waves to Twinny, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Sonya, Arlene, Karen, Kathy, Val, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Just called to see if my hairdresser was in today, but she has been promoted and now is the manager of another salon. The other salon is about 20 miles away, and this is the type of place where you don't get an appointment -- just call ahead and hope to get a slight priority. While I really like her, I'm just not sure that I am willing to take my chances at the other place -- waiting, etc. My hair needs cutting for sure, and I guess I'll need to try someone new.

I had some more bad news yesterday (don't think I shared it, sorry if I did) that one of the ladies in my Newcomers club has been diagnosed with cancer, and doesn't have a good prognosis. She is probably in her early to mid 60's, and such a kind lady. Does all sorts of volunteer work, etc. I was pretty sad yesterday evening. I'm a bit better today after prayng about it for a while.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hugs,

Linda