Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 14)

Hi Everyone!

It's partly sunny and a bit cool. The A/C can have a day off today. YIPPEE! I think Fall has arrived. 

I am so far behind on errands but hopefully tomorrow I will start to tackle those. The township guys are around our streets trimming tree branches that are too close to the roads. I don't like running the tires over tree debris so hopefully this is a one day project for them. 

I received a call yesterday from the siding company that our supplies will start to be delivered within the next two days including the dumpster. Work will start immediately after all that is here. I think I will start to stress less once the siding is on the house. Then it's "done" . It will be the last big home repair item for storm season and the house should be safe from wind and trees. 

The hubby did make a trip to Home Depot last week and purchased some cedar shakes to put a new roof on the wishing well. I've had that for years and years. We purchased it in Amish country and the only part that sees to wear is the shingle roof. I think we're staining it a natural color so hopefully that will work.

Prayers to Jean, Bev and all others in need. I'm behind on posting but did catch up on reading everyone's posts. 

I think it was Twinny70 that said she used cloth napkins. I thought I would give it a try after I had paid $7.50 for the large pack of paper napkins. I got lucky with a clearance sale at Kohl's and got a few sets of 4 for $3.16 a set. WOO-HOO!! I think that's my winner of a sale for the year. What a difference it has made and really not really any extra laundry. Thanks for the idea.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Super Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 14)

@Fressa  We have used cloth napkins for years. You are correct not much more laundry and I purchase napkins on clearance at various stores....have even gotten some great bargains at different thrift stores. I have even cut way back on paper towels. I use my collection of dish cloths for most things in the kitchen. I do however keep a roll of paper for some types of doggy gloop!!  And of course you also know about the doggy gloop!!:

Esteemed Contributor

chessielady----Yes, these two have an artistic flare to their "slob art" on the patio door and front door side panel.. LOL I use my worn kitchen towels, microfiber cloths and put a stack of them in the hubby's work room, garage and lllaundry room. Then they can just be tossed from there. It's amazing the amount you save on paper products. Toilet paper is now $10 /4-pack up here. Just crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Glad your weather is nice.  It was nice and cool when I took my walk this morning (in the 60's, I think), but it is supposed to make it to 91 degrees here.  

My trip home from visiting DD and family was pretty wild.  I had originally planned to come home early yesterday (7:00 a.m.), they change it to 4:15 p.m.  DD dropped me off at the airport in GA (closest to their home in SC), and the airport was extremely quiet -- only one other person in line, and I got through security quickly.  Turns out that airport doesn't have many flights, and three were scheduled for about the same time.  Long story short, they didn't have us board the plane on time, and then we sat in the plane for about 45 minutes before we took off.  

I needed to change planes in Dallas -- not much time to do so.  And, the airline APP on my phone stopped working.  I went by the Terminal and Gate information on my boarding pass -- literally ran to catch the train to the other terminal and to the gate.  Turned out to be the wrong gate.  So, I looked at the board and found the gate, and ran there.  Huge crowd was standing around.  That flight was delayed -- good thing for me.  But, I was in the middle seat and the lady next to me kept coughing.  After getting COVID on my previous trip, I was pretty nervous.  

By the time I got home, it was 9:00 p.m. here (midnight according to my body), and I needed to turn the water on (go outside, etc.)   I didn't get much sleep and am basically running on pure adrenalin at this point.

Like you, Glena, and chessielady, I use cloth napkins most of the time.  You got quite a bargain on the ones you purchased.

Glad to hear about your siding.  Over the weekend, they had big storms here again -- including hail and flooded streets, etc.  Fortunately, not too much damage and none to my house as far as I can tell.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Good luck on the siding installation @Fressa   I'm glad that you got the new shingles for your well.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Wow, what a trip @LindaLatte  The one time I went to New Orleans it took planes, trains (greyhound bus) and automobiles to get me there.  Sometimes the effort it takes to get you there or back wears you out.  Glad you made it home safely.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, we have used cloth napkins since the pandemic started & paper products were $$$ or scarce.  I hope that the home improvement jobs go well. I like to get my favorite cottonnelle (sp)?  TP 6 LG rolls for $6.99.  

After getting 4" of rain last weekend, we are in the 70's-low 80's all week.

chessielady, I have bought a few sets of new cloth napkins 8/$4.00 & they wash great.  I like to do "seasonal" ones.  I hang laundry outside from March-Thanksgiving and they dry quickly.

Linda L, what a nightmare of a trip that would have been for me.  As much as we like to travel, planes are not in the works. I was thinking about you and your walking yesterday afternoon.  We were sitting on our front porch and enjoying the beautiful day when a guy that lives down the street from us walked by.  He is on foot all day long, so I asked him how many steps he does in a day.  He said "30,000 every day and he had to mow the lawn when he got back home!"

Bird Mama, you had quite the travel experience too.

My infusion went well on Monday, but I am still a bit sore where my port is.  We did a little bit of shopping and had a good lunch out.  That's my treat for getting my infusion.

Yesterday was a lazy day for me.  My only side effects are drowsiness when I get back home.

My niece and gn are coming up on Friday morning for Cheese Days. I can't wait to see our favorite polka bands.   I think our two dgs's are also coming down either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.  My Dh bought 5 tickets for the cheese curds this afternoon so we don't have to wait in line for a long time.

After lunch we went to see our favorite polka band.  The last time we went was in 03/2020.  It was 3 days before our 50th wedding anniversary.  Three days later, we went on shutdown for the next two years.

I have to finish cleaning the house tomorrow morning,  get groceries and finish my Fall decorating.  It's pretty clean yet as we have had company the past three  weekends.

My concern is the possibility of ts on Friday night, Saturday morning and maybe on Sunday.

Prayers for Declan as he has scans thus week to see if the cancer has returned.  He was born with cancer and is 18 months old.

My last PT session is on Friday morning.  I have been doing my morning walk and the gym in the afternoon.  I will be able to do my strengthening exercises at our gym.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70---I will keep Declan in my prayers. 

Glad your infusion went well. It sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with all the company and actiivities you nave planned.Enjoy!!!!

I'm running behind in my Fall decorating but eventually I'll get it all up. At least I have a wreath on the door and some new arrangement in the basket the birds like to nest. They were picking the grapevine off the door wreath and making a nest in the metal basket with it. Those little birds are busy 24/7.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte----What a journey you had with your flights. I loved flying when I could get direct flights (years ago) Once they stopped the direct fliights out West it was another story. No way you were ever going to make the connection because of weather delays. Then by the time you landed the shuttle service was closed. Ugh!!! Glad you finally got home safely. 

Glad the storms are over ...for now. Hail damage is always so scary. Flooding is always such a mess. It seems like this year we are having more storms than usual. I can never remember what the "usual" is but it's sunny and coool today so I'm happy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Sounds like you have some fun plans, Glenda.  I was thinking that if I needed a wheelchair or had mobility problems, flying would have been a nightmare.  Hopefully, I will be able to fly for several more years since driving long distances is not something that I could handle.

Interesting about your neighbor.  I have to confess that I used to routinely walk 30,000 steps per day.  It became a bit of an obsession with me when there wasn't much else to do (during COVID).  Happy to report that I have been able to cut back to a more reasonable number -- 20,000 - 24,000 on average.  

I knew that walking when I was traveling would be limited, and then COVID made walking extremely difficult.  So, cutting back was pretty much a necessity.  

Keeping Declan in my prayers.  What a difficult time he and his family has had.

Glad your weather is nice, Fressa.  I agree with you about the direct flights.  After some difficult experiences, I have tried to avoid flying in the winter or when bad weather is normal.  Things have only gotten worse recently.

The bereavement letters were not ready today, but I did deliver supplies to quite a few patients.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda