Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, OCT. 28)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers ladies.  Caregiving is a one day at a time project for me.  So far, so good today.  DH did get up last night, but the first time was 4:45 or so, which is better than usual.  And, he didn't need help, thank goodness.  I took him to the "club" today, and he wanted me to stay or to come with me.  But, he didn't fuss when I told him that wasn't possible. Fingers crossed that he has a good day.

I stopped by to have the plastic piece next to my nose replaced on my eyeglasses, and that was pretty quick and easy.  Then I went to the library to pick up a video, and ran into a neighbor who moved here from Maryland (the next street up from where I grew up in my small area).  She didn't know about my accident, DH, etc., etc.  Nice lady, but the discussion took quite a while.

Next up will be a trip to the gym.  

Hope your team wins tonight, Karen.  I do appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

I really get mad at myself when I make mistakes like picking up the wrong size/item, Susan.  It is important to try to focus, but it is also important to forgive yourself for making mistakes.   

Enjoy your new things from Macy's, pinky ann.  DD said it is raining pretty hard in Maryland.  Oldest DGS' football game (he is volunteer coach for a JV team) has been moved until tomorrow night due to the weather.

Hi Charlene -- I'm happy to have cooler weather here as well.  We are in a very nice period now -- cool in the morning (but not cold), and warm in the afternoon.  Love saving on AC and heat as well.  Glad you are having good luck with "as is" items.

Sounds like several of you are enjoying the cuddle duds items.  I have not tried them, but our cold weather is a ways off.  Thanks for your good thoughts, Marijane.  Hope you like your Macy's items.

I thought about the Stan Herman item you purchased, Jean.  Please let us know how it works for you.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny (more hugs), Barbara, LindaR, Bernie, snicks, Rosa, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I really hope that your Mom will cooperate more, twinny.  From the sound of things, I just don't think it is safe for her to be in the house alone without a lot of help.  One of our neighbors (probably about the same age as your Mom), is almost blind.  She lives alone, but has caregivers and housekeepers there almost every day, and she has people to take her to the store, etc., etc.  Still, her house was robbed when she was asleep one night.  Scary stuff.

Respected Contributor

Linda: hugs and prayers. I think your DD is getting the system we had over the weekend. We are expecting another weather system. Our football games are also being moved to Thursday nights.

Twinny: hugs and prayers for you also.
Valued Contributor

Jean, That poncho looks really good! I had a chennile shawl from Stan Herman that I used for years, as it wore like iron. It was from the Q, and I often wondered if his products were still available. I hope you love your poncho when it arrives.

I think the sleep study won't be as bad as you imagine. I had it done years ago, and was  so worried about actually falling asleep. I was allowed to take the Tylenol PM as I did most nights, and did manage to get some sleep.

Genny, How did you like your purchases? All keepers? I received the flannel sheets and denim jacket today. Love them both. It's odd, as I had tried on a few of the jackets in the store, and wasn't thrilled with any of them, but this one is perfect....

Twinny, I'm glad the initial meeting is over, and hope you can get a breath. They won't allow your mom to go home unless without being positve she can manage and have help. Hope you'll relax awhile, and try to destress.

Karen, So nice to see you back! I hope you're doing well, and having some nice fall weather where you live.

Linda, Glad you had a pretty good night with DH. Hopefully his tme at the "club" today will be happy for him. Hope you can get some time to relax.

So sorry if I missed anyone! It's still pouring outside, and shows no sign of stopping. I'll go for groceries on a nicer day, as we can manage fine for at least a few more days. Supper will be breakfast tonight, french toast. I'm glad because breakfast doesn't usually agree with me in the mornings, but is fine at supper. Weird... pinky

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twinny--Your mother's sense of reality is a false one and she does not want to admit to not being able to do things as she once did if she is aware of that. Unless she is willing to have live in help, then you will have to face the reality of your waiting for a disaster and the effect this will have on you emtionally and physically. Prayers!  Many assisted living places have a waiting list to get in. I've been through this and had to make the decision. I was comfortable with the decision as my mother and I had discussed it many times when she was younger and clear of thinking.

When the time came, my mother had been admitted to the hospital and was in a coma from which she was not expected to survive but she did but she was not the same person. After a period of time, when Medicare would no longer pay, the hospital let me know she would be released.

I just happened to have applied for a spot in a highly respected facility several weeks before. I was debating how I was going to handle this as I could not find anyone to take care of her at home and I would have to give up my job to take care of her. As I was debating this, the phone rang and it was the facility letting me know that they just had an opening occur that day. 

My  mother was not happy that she was not going home despite our having talked about it when she was clear of thinking some years prior. She just knew me at times as her daughter...and at other times, "that woman who was taking care of her." When the transfer took place, she was in a great facility and received great care. She considered it a hospital and since it was only 20 miles away, I made it a point to visit her each day. She died a month later, just after I had paid the facility for the next month's care. Of course, they gave me the money back.  She went into the hospital the day after Mother's Day and died on June 30.

People need to prepare for this type of thing. When the time comes, and it will come in different forms, it is not an easy time.

Linda--It is definitely a  one day at a time process. We may have tentative plans but the process involves one day at a time as we don't know what changes each day will bring. Prayers for you also.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Lifeisshort.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi to everyone, nothing really to add today. Hoping for the best for everyone. Lots of tough situations going on. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hello all - continued good thoughts are being sent to each of you as we are all dealing with one thing or another.

Last night I had my annual exam (not in the purest sense of the word) with my gyn, who treats me head to toe.  My appointment was for 6:30pm, didn't get put into an exam room until 8pm. We chatted a bit and he was called to the phone as another of his patient's was going into labor.  I'll have blood drawn one morning next week, if he remembered to fill out his bloodwork wish list.  I got the RX for the mammogram and ultrasound (if needed) so I'm all set for my Monday mammogram appointment.

I like my doctor - he looked like he had been run ragged yesterday and his hair is nearly all gray now.  He got behind by 2 hours because of another delivery.

I stayed calm, the other women in the waiting room - not so much lol.

Other than that, work is busy, but no complaints.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I would hate to have to take that sleep test as I sleep poorly & I don't  think that the wires would give me much comfort.  Good luck with the test when you have it done.  You have such good advice for me as do the other ladies.  I also cannot believe that Nov. is just around the corner.  KAREN, Good luck with the game tonight.  LINDA L, Mom will not budge an inch even when we all tell her that if she breaks a hip, she will be bed bound or wheel chair bound for life.,  She has no fear whatsoever.  We are faithful in the Lord, so that is our comfort right now.  PINKY ANN, Sounds like you are having some fun shopping.  CERB, that was funny to hear about your husband being a sloppy painter & you doing the finishing touches on a project. My dad was a great painter so I take after him.  DH only gets to do the high spots that I cannot safely get to.  I can still remember when our eldest DGS was about 2 y/o.  I was in poor shape but was trying to paint our bedroom & he wanted to help me out.  Our DD brought him a pair of bib overalls down when they came for their weekly visit & I gave him a roller & off we went.  He didn't like to get dirty so he was as clean when he got done as when he started.  Let's just say that the pictures are priceless.    I am hoping for a good night sleep & also a better tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--When we face things we cannot control, we have to put our faith in God as the power to help us through whatever challenges are facing us.  It will eventually resolve itself but the process will be difficult at times. Prayers! Let's pray for a good night's sleep and a better tomorrow!