Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, OCT.2)

Hi Everyone!

It's foggy here and cool. It's strange for us to have fog that lasts for longer than a few hours. I don't like driving in the fog so I'll wait for it to lift before I attempt the banking.

Question for everyone on air fryers---I have a standard air fryer but I've been having problems with the handle button working and not snapping off. I've had two different brands over the last few years and it's the same problem. I'm thinking that it's a design issue. (I do use it multiple times during the week) Does anyone have an air fryer that looks more like a mini oven/toaster oven? Curious if that works better with the sheet basket. Thanks in advance for your comments.

We finally had the kids over on Sunday to celebrate multiple birthdays and an anniversary. Everyone is on a different shift and days off so it takes a while. I was pleased that our DIL liked her clothes and our son was happy with his $. (so much easier that he just wants $ now) Our DIL even found a mini almond cream cake for my birthday. I love cake. LOL I told her it needs to be a mini because I have no self control when it comes to cake, pie, ice cream and chocolate. LOL 

I have only started Christmas shopping but haven't found too many gifts.I have to make a list so I really stick to the budget. I did a rough tally and comparison for the grocery $ this year to last and it was even  more than I thought it would be. The township posted notifications from the light and gas companies as to the extra cost it will be for gas and lights this winter. I think they were using November thru January. (although our winters can last thru March). I need to do another budget adjustment as soon as I can see an answer. 

Prayers to Bev, Barb and all others in need. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, Nov. 2)

Hi @Fressa We had a couple of dense fog mornings over the weekend.  They were kind of eerie and cozy at the same time - then again I wasn't driving my car in the fog.

I don't own an air fryer even though I've been tempted to buy an air fryer.

I'm glad that your family was able to get together to celebrate the special days.  As far as Christmas goes, I give my great nieces money and have told my sister that I really don't need a thing.  She and I are getting to that age where it's getting hard to buy gifts, lol.

I went to the dentist yesterday and had a tooth filled and new crown seated.  I'm all set for 6 months.  There is a poster that participated in the community a very long time - Betty (nickname Yock).  I know that she posted in the Back Fence (retired thread) and Bird's Nest in the Among Friends neighborhood of the community.  She probably posted in kitchen and fashion at one time.  She and I would email each other now and then and I found out yesterday why I haven't received a response to my last email sent in October.

Betty passed away two days before I sent the email and another wonderful poster who interacted with Betty in person let me know about Betty's passing yesterday.  Betty was warm, gracious and had a heck of a sense of humor.  I will miss her voice and take comfort in knowing that she is reunited with her beloved husband who passed away in 2020.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

We're finally having beautiful Fall weather..low in the 50s but by 1:00 the temp is in the 70s. Tonight the lows will,be in the 40s and the news folks are telling listeners to have cold weather gear ready.lol

Fressa..I too am appalled at grocery prices..I only shop for me and they cost much more than last year. I too hate driving in fog. Everyone in my family gets $$.

Things remain very difficult with my dh...I know Bernie and Linda have been through this. Prayers are needed.

I am trying to do more things that I enjoy.

💕💕

Honored Contributor

Barbara @sydsgma1  I am so sorry that the situation is hard for V and the rest of those that love him.  The span of my husband's illness was brief in comparison - middle of October until early January - and when he died it came out of left field and blindsided me.  I felt like I was dropped in a well and I would never crawl out or see the light of day, it was bad.

My mother's situation was different - in for observation for bruised ribs in February, put in respiratory distress from overdose of pain medication that night and spiralling out of control to ventilator support and transfer to an LTACH to be weaned off of a vent at the end of March.  We sprung her from there on Mother's Day that year and she maintained until she had enough (no home health care, no hospice) until she passed in her sleep that December.

I've been through what I consider both extremes - blindsided and the knowing that separation from someone I love is coming and I've decided both are a living hel*.

There isn't a day that I don't pray for V, you and your entire family.Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Betty. Believe it or not, my best friend is named Betty. She's the one that moved to NC. We both have the same sense of humor and exasperations with family. I just checked on her the day aftere  Hurricane Ian hit the Carolinas and Naples. (her daughter's home) She and her husband had installed the hurricane shutters that worked well. They just had branches down but no trees in her lot. Her daughter had water in the Naples home but had been able to get to the second home in Cape Cod. There new home under construction is probably not safe and there other home rentals (their business) are completly gone. They are nervous about what the insurance will cover if anything and preparing for the worse. 

Esteemed Contributor

sysgma1--- I will continue to keep your dh in prayers. This year has been another one that is exhausting with health, costs, worry, etc. I sure hope it eases up sooner than later.

I think carving time out for yourself to do something that you enjoy is the best medicine you can do for yourself. It keeps you going and gives your mind a rest from the worry. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, OCT.2)

I have read your posts and send my prayers to all of you.  My Dad passed  away quickly which had been his wish for a long time.  My Mom was in a nice assisted living facility for 4 months and  made my life He**.   My dh kept me sane.  We took every Tuesday "off" & went away for the day.   My fil passed away from cancer in a VA Hospital and was a true gentleman to his dw, my dh, his 4 brothers.  My dear mil is recovering from a bad fall with her Rollator. 

Our weather is beautiful.  70's & sunny for a few more days and then a couple of rainy  days.  

I had my Mammogram this morning and am awaiting the results. It's more painful since I have a "port" to take into consideration.  We went into the hot tub before lunch, the gym after lunch and then to the pharmacy for our 3rd Booster shot.  So far we just have a sore arm.

Other than maybe getting groceries tomorrow morning, we are doing nothing for a few days.

The good news here is Christopher sent me an email and has accepted a good job offer in MN (we don't know what city yet) and his title is "reinsurance analyst.".   He graduates from college in December, plans to do some traveling before he starts his job in March.  We are over the moon happy for him.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  I would not like to drive in the fog either.  Sometimes it can be kind of neat, but not when you are driving.

I have never purchased an air fryer -- certainly have debated it, but....  Hope someone can help you with your question.  Glad you had such a successful family celebration.  An almond cream cake sounds delicious.

My fellow volunteer at the senior lunch program and I were talking about the big increase in grocery prices, and we both live alone.  And, so many things are going up -- utilities, etc.  Like you, I keep re-adjusting my budget. 

Very sorry to hear about Betty's death, Bernie.  I was just thinking about Claudia's death since she would have celebrated a birthday at the end of October.  I don't think many would understand how close one can feel about a poster who you have never met in person, but I can for sure.

Your weather is warmer than ours, Barbara.  But, it has certainly been nice.  Tomorrow's high is predicted to be in the upper 50's with a low of 35 degrees at night.  There may be some rain.  So, I'm sure I'll be chilly.  I continue to pray for you and your DH.

Hope your mammogram results are good, Glenda.  I got an email about my mammogram in a week -- all okay.  But, I just received my Dexa scan (bone density) results this evening.  I still have osteopenia, but one of the results seems better.  I will ask my doctor if my interpretation is correct when I see him.

Congratulations to Christopher.  I am glad he is taking some time to travel before starting his new job.  Hope he likes the job and MN.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny 70--Congrats to your dgs on his job!  How exciting for him. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I am sorry to hear that Betty passed away.

Linda L, I think about Claudia and Tippy and Griffin often.  She had such Interesting things going on in her life.

My arm was very sore last night and pain meds don't help me a lot.  This morning I took 2 Ibuprofen and it is a lot better.  My dh woke up at 2.00 a.m. & finally took his pain meds.  We are both doing better without any other symptoms.

We did get the grocery shopping done this morning.  Lunch is pizza at our favorite Italian restaurant and leftovers for supper.

Hot tubbing after TPIR goes off.  Then it's lunch time.

I am doing nothing this afternoon except  reading a good book out on the front porch. It's the last 70's° day with a lot of rain tomorrow which we do need.

It looks like all three of our dgc will be graduating in the next 6 months. All different times & different schools with different plans. Christopher is the busiest as he is at the UW & taking a lot of credits in order to graduate early.  I am so glad that he didn't choose CO since he has a good friend that accepted a job out there after doing a summer intern job.  We have a nephew that moved to MN after he graduated from college quite a few years ago and loves it.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda