Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, NOV. 27)

Good morning, shopping friends. After putting out the trash and a large selection of boxes for the trash at 5:30am, I've been taking it easy. In doing so I've been checking out Amazon while watching QVC. I guess that might be double temptation.

I did reschedule my eye appointment to just after Christmas. I don't plan to do much during the holiday time. I'm not very patient when travel time is sometimes tripled in the city.

My Christmas shopping is completed. The adults in my family do not exchange gifts outside the immediate family, so most of my gifts are for office staff and close friends. I definitely don't plan to venture out for Black Friday. I did that once and that was enough.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, NOV. 27)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat   I woke up early again this morning and said, nope, not gonna do it.  I rolled over in bed, put a pillow over my face and got another hour of sleep. Woman Very Happy

We're under a wind advisory until 9 pm.  Great, now I will have anxiety about losing power Woman Frustrated

I thought the wind would pick up slowly but we went from no wind to 'hold onto your wig' winds.

Hmm.  Good thing I didn't run to Meijer's at the crack of dawn this morning.  I think I'll go now and pick up a couple of bags of ice while I'm there, just in case.  I'll stick the ice in the freezer and if anything weird happens with the power lines I'll have the ice and coolers on stand by.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Today is my prep day for the Thanksgiving dinner. I've scaled back but I still bake a pumpkin pie and do all the prep work for the stuffing. I may prep the sweet potato caserole if I have time or energy. I deep fry the turkey breast so that consumes most of my attention on the holiday. I decided yesterday when I was in the market that I'm making turkey for Christmas but this one will be in the roaster or roasting bag. Neither of us like ham and I usually make my lasagne but wanted someting a bit easier this time.

We are having rain and high winds starting today. I have my fingers crossed that the neighbors two tall trees hold in the ground. They stand on the edge of the property line and are centered across from our bedroom and garage. I wish she would have had these taken down when she had her crew in this year. She must have had 15 trees cut down.

We had a package delivered from Amazon yesterday and they sent a picture of the delivered package by our front door to the phone. I was impressed with that type of service considering the porch pirates.

The last couple of days I've watached more QVC than I have been. I think I have all the little gifts done but I have all the main ones for the kids yet to do. I am actually on zero for ideas so I think I'll call my dil later to have her get a list from all of them with ideas. It always makes me nervous if I'm not done with the shopping before I get into full decorating mode. I know I worry too much but I figure that nothing is inexpensive and I'd rather give them something they really need and will use than something I think they will like. 

I thought the bags of ice was a great idea for the power outage prep. I don't know why that never occurred to me. We keep talking about getting a generator but then forget each year and remember when storm season starts. I aways worry about the food in the fridge.  

Hope everyone has a nice afternoon/evening and stays safe and healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa   I was excited to see that the store sold a 22 pound bag of ice and that's what I picked up.  Squeezing it in my freezer took some doing Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--I think it is neat that the Amazon deliverer sends you a photo of your delivery. I know when my Blu Ray player was delivered todsay as I heard a loud noise when UPS dropped the package on the front deck.

Bernie--Sometimes, I would like to see some YouTube videos of your efforts. Hopefully, the storm doesn't materialiize. We have had winds but not higher than 40mph here.

I am one of those who doesn't sweat the holiday prep routine. As long as I have pumpkin pie, I'm fine as that is what makes the holiday. Being single and living far away from the nieces has its advantages. Actually one of my best Thanksgiving Days was spent on a plane from Hawaii.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you got the trash and boxes out this morning.  Good idea to reschedule your appointment until after Christmas.  

Those winds sound wicked, Bernie.  Smart idea to have the ice on hand just in case.  Is your freezer something separate or just the one on top or bottom of the refrigerator?  I definitely could not fit that big bag of ice in my refrigerator freezer.  I have lots of frozen vegetables, nuts, grains, etc., as well as my leftovers (I usually cook for four, but only can deal with the same thing a couple of times in a row.) 

Good luck with the winds and rain in your area, Fressa. Sorry your neighbor didn't have those trees removed.  My neighbors in Maryland had trees like that, and one time a smaller one fell on my driveway and across the front yard.  Fortunately, my car didn't get hit and nothing in the yard was harmed.  I want to do my cooking for the church Thanksgiving lunch this afternoon/evening.  Glad you have a good start on yours.

The lunch program was very busy, but just wonderful.  Several of the blind vets spoke to me -- very kind men and women.  Thanked us for our hospitality, etc.  A local band played before dinner, and they are excellent.  They played the songs of each branch of the service and had the vets stand up or raise their hands.  I have to admit that i was in tears.  Anyway, all went well, and I got a lot of exercise delivering lunch and cleaning up after lunch.  I was also in charge of making sure the water pitchers were full.  

After that, I stopped by the food bank to drop off some potatoes I got from Safeway yesterday -- five pounds, which is way more than I needed, but they were on fabulous sale.

Then, I picked up a book that I had on hold at the library.  Their public computers were down, so it was back to waiting in line to be checked out.  I haven't done that in a very long time.

I sort of miss the dinner preparation rush from when I was married, but these other lunches are great, and involve a lot less stress.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte   I crammed that ice into the freezer part of my fridge.  I was moving things to the door shelves which I don't use often.  It was funny and so far it's working.  I'm prepared for it so we haven't lost power Woman Very Happy