Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, MAY 27)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day with the temps expected to be around 90. i could handle this kind of weather year-round as my arthritis loves the sunny and warm weather.

Yesterday, I went to the city to get my nails done (yes, they can be done but no colored polish for the surgery). I always get an American manicure which is more natural looking. I then took some things to the donation center, picked up some groceries and cat needs at the Walmart grocery pickup. The highlight of the day was dinner at the Outback with a friend. After almost 3 months of not being able to dine in, this was a real treat never to be  taken for granted again.

I have gone over my medical history with one of the nurses at the surgery center. The person taking me will have to find some place to kill time for about 3 to 4 hours as the individual is not permitted inside the facility, just patients and mask wearing is a requirement. 

My Stan Herman order placed at the beginning of the month is now being shipped. I had hoped to get the robe before the procedure. Now, it will be sitting at the Post Office where UPS is delivering it instead of my home. The FedEx delivered item that was "next day" delivery took three days but at least they delivered to my home.

The Fed Ex hub in my state that serves my zip code is a place where FedEx packages arrive as scheduled but then go into hiding until the employees decide the package has set there long enough....even packages marked as perishible. A two day fresh food delivery that was two day delivery with ice, etc. arrived in four days, with the food not acceptable. I was refunded as were some others on different meal plans. No more fresh food plans for me.

I am not a happy camper shopper right now; the only great shopping has been the WalMart grocery pick up service. I doubted how good this would be but I am loving it. They even do a great job picking out fruit on the order. The service was tried because I didn't want to go into the store but this is something I will continue to use. In addition to the prompt service, one is not exposed to the temptations in the various food aisles.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, MAY 27)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad your weather is nice.  We are expecting a high of 100 degrees today, and then have excessive heat warnings starting tomorrow until Sunday evening.  I will be using my AC for sure.  I don't mind hot weather (actually prefer it to cold), but when it is too hot at night, I cannot sleep.

Glad you enjoyed your first eat-in meal yesterday.  I had my first in-person (but socially distant) visit with friends yesterday, and it was wonderful.  We were supposed to sit on my friend's patio, but it was just too hot.  So, she arranged seating around her living room.  It was so nice exchanging information (about washing machines, etc.) and memories of growing up.  One of my friends grew up on a farm, and had little exposure to town.  Another lived in downtown Chicago, not sure about the third lady, but I have always been a suburban girl/woman.

My audiologist appointment this morning was canceled at the last minute.  I had taken my walk earlier and shortened it a bit so that I would have no trouble making it on time.  But, the audiologist was not coming in today because he injured his leg yesterday evening.  Now I will be going next Wednesday.  Disappointing to say the least.

The hairdresser called yesterday to make sure I was still coming tomorrow and knew the rules about wearing a mask, no shampoo or blow dry, etc.  All okay as far as I am concerned.  Glad you got your manicure done yesterday.

One of the ladies yesterday said that she liked the Wal Mart pick-up, and there is another grocery store in the area that doesn't require a minimum purchase.  I could probably go with the pick-up, but it would be one less chance to get out into the world.  I don't want to violate the social distancing  recommendations or over-expose myself to the virus, but those once a week trips are important to my mental health.

Yesterday, I posted part of a radio interview with Mike George (head of QVC) and he explained the delays.  But, some of the posters didn't quite accept his explanation.  

I have found most deliveries (regardless of source) are not coming exactly when promised -- some quite delayed.  Another experience I have had is placing an on-line order with Wal Mart (not food), and having them cancel it a few hours later.  That is strange.  The latest was for some no show socks since I have been walking so much my socks keep getting holes in them.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Just had to share.  I just received a call from the doctor's office that was supposed to schedule my varicose vein surgery for October.  After not hearing anything for more than a month and leaving messages, etc., I contacted a new vein doctor who did the surgeries at the end of November and December.

The original office just called to set up surgery.  They said that they didn't get the orders until January, and then Covid came along.  So glad I had this done last year.  Their office is so disorganized.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--It is good that you can get out into the challening world as you are good about following recommendations. There is nothing like being able to share with others and enjoy their company. I am sorry that your audiologist appointment was delayed, but it appears that it was good that you chose another doctor for your vein surgery.

I am watching the Affinity diamond show. I can remember enjoying these shows very much. I did go and get the mail, and then went to the Family Dollar Store to pick up some large bandaids to replace whatever cover will be put on the tiny incisions. It amazes me that a camera can be eased into one of those incisions as well as the instruments.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am glad that you are getting the sunny weather that you enjoy.  Its nice that you could get your nails done before the surgery.  I don't know if our donation center is open yet, but we go past a nice one on the way to my infusion center, so we will just stop there.  It was nice that you could enjoy a sit down meal at your steak place.  We have a few restaurants open for sit down but right now we are happy to go thru a drive thru restaurant.  Maybe on a cooler day when we could dine outside. I hope that your Stan Herman robe gets there soon. That's a bummer about your driver having to find something to do for 3-4 hours.  Especially in the hot weather.  My DH found a nice park near my infusion center,  so I am hoping that the weather is nice.  

Linda L, I am sorry that your audiologist appt was cancelled at the last minute.  My DH has his checkup tomorrow to make sure that the new hearing aids are working properly.  I hope that you are happy with your haircut.  I don't know if my salon is open yet.  It looks like you had a nice time with your friends last night.  I wouldn't have wanted to be outside on the patio when it was so hot.  I need a cool house  especially at bedtime. I am also glad that Thursday is our grocery shopping day.  I need to get out and about so that I don't go nuts.  

We just got back from the Garden Spot with 6 beautiful looking tomato plants.  Now I am hoping that they do well. They are my favorite thing & I don't miss having a garden at all.  Last night I told my DH that I disliked cooking and gardening & they were both tied for first place.

My DH is outside pulling out the tulips so we can plant the tomatoes tomorrow morning.  He has been walking this week, but it's too hot for me.  My recliner is too nice with a bottle of Crystal Lite.

We had a very brief thunderstorm last night and escaped any damage.  Nearby towns had lots of trees down & power outages.

I am having a lazy day. I can't wait until Friday gets here &  we will be in the 70's for a few days.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Getting out does help with feeling trapped. Even the drive to the city for just grocery pick up take an hour and a half to get there which makes it a great outing despite not getting out of the car. You will enjoy the tomatoes this summer. That is one good thing about summer; the veggies and flowers that bring life that is enjoyable. I think my driver might visit a relative while I am experiencing "fun."

I know people intend well, but I just got a message that some were planning on bringing me food when I got home from the surgery. My plans included hitting the bed or just relaxing as food is a low priority. These people like to talk, etc. and I have no idea how much of a talking mood I will be in.