Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. I really started the day off well; I overslept and didn't hear the alarm so I didn't get the trash put out. Oh well, I guess I needed the sleep..

The things we buy! I saw presented a few minutes ago a wedge sandal by Clarks that I bought late Spring of 2017. When I got them, I really  liked them and actually considered buying another color. What did I do? I put them aside and continued to wear my Vionics sandals. Sometimes, I am one of those people who has a trusty item they like so much that it continues to be used while the new one is ignored. I think I bought the Clarks sandals because of the height for this height challenged person.

I'll be off to get a bone scan this afternoon, I haven't had one for about 20 years. In that time, I have continued to lose height despite taking the once a week pill. I am on a med that bleaches calcium from the bones so it is a losing battle. I have lost almost 3 inches in the 20 years. It isn't the height that concerns me the most right now. Living alone, I don't want to deal with fragile bones that break easily. Yes, I also take calcium and eat decently. Gr-r-r-r-r!!

June is almost over and my spreadsheet show that I have done a great job keeping the expenditures down. Now, to keep the momentum going through July.

I know Charlene has joined me in reading the purge thread. It is easier said than done when there are no local donation places available and you have to take it to the city over 50 miles away. We used to have one but the funding for it ended. The hours it was open were during work hours so it was difficult to donate. At least, Bernie has been able to tackle the garage.. Mine still awaits!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well,.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  Hope your scan is good.  I also read the purge thread, it interesting how much stuff we truly have ( I am the most guilty of all.  I know what you mean about buying something but still using the thing you like the most.  I have shoes here that have not been on my feet for years.  I keep meaning to take them out and wear them to see if I still like them, but I don't.  That will be my next project.

Linda - Hope DH is doing well today.

Bernie - You always talk about the wildlife in your yard.  We have this baby bunny who loves to hang out in our yard.  It is just the cutest thing, it hangs out in our decorative grass and in the hosta by the house.  It is so used to us it doesn't even hunker down when are near.  

Well need to start lunch, have a good morning everone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry about your trash not being out on time, but I'm sure you needed the extra rest.  I don't think I have ever slept through my alarm, probably since I don't sleep all that well to begin with, but.....  I can certainly relate about those sandals.  So often I decide that I really want something new, but then stick with the "tried and true".  I am trying to use things at least once when I first purchase them so that returning could be a possibility.  Of course, that doesn't work if you buy something out of season or whatever.

Good luck with your bone scan.  I have one done at least every two years since I have osteoporosis and have been taking medication for it much of the time for nearly 20 years.  I get so disappointed that my efforts with medication, exercise, calcium, etc. have not worked that the painless test has become a dread for me.  I remember so well doing everything "right" for two years without medication only be told that I had slipped back into the osteoporosis category and needed to go back on it.  Having a medication that takes away the calcium from your bone is the pits.  Like you, I dread breaking bones since I am living alone at this point.  

I salute all of you who are keeping up your de-cluttering efforts.  I don't have any great excuses since I have two or three nearby donation centers, including two that I strongly support.  At least I did donate that bike and some other things that I have been saving "just in case" for years and years.

Fortunately, the fashion clearance on Q2 has not triggered any wants, even vague wants, and nothing on the Q is calling my name.

Everything went okay yesterday -- senior lunch program, gym, and visit with DH.  He was in a "no man" phase yesterday -- he said no to every question like do your want to get up, do you want something to eat, etc.  Nevertheless, he was in pretty good humor.  

I am meeting a fellow volunteer from the senior lunch program (she volunteers on a different day) for lunch, so I will not be visiting DH until later.  I took my walk a bit earlier today (started before 6:00 a.m.), and that was a good idea since it is another hot day here.

My individual "film festival" (DVD's that came from the library at once), is going well.  Most of the movies have been good/interesting so far.  I have another two to go.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

ETA -- Hi Susan.  Your bunny sounds cute.  We have tons of them here, but most hop away when I am nearby.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Shoes! We want something new but then we could start a shoe store on what we have. I know that is an exaggeration but like you, I am starting a project of thinning the shoe herd. I know many resell on line but then they just keep occupying a space unti bought, When I get in the mood for something to go, I want it gone!

Linda--You do such a great job with exercise so it is difficullt to deal with the loss of bone despite all you do. Buying something out of season is usually a savings, but only if it ends up being used when the season for it arrives. Enjoy your lunch with your friend. It is so imporant that you have all these connections and activities to help you deal with DH's health. I hope your visit with him today finds him smiling.

I created my spreadsheet for my July expenditures. It is amazing how something like that can help you say no to an impulse or want purchase simply because you have to enter it into the spreadsheet.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat I sympathize with you regarding the medication helping one thing and causing issues for another.  I'm in the same boat with my thyroid medication - helps with the cholesterol, does me no favors with my bone density. 

I'm fiercely independent - been this way since I was a kid.  At this point, even though I climb a ladder every once in a while, I tell myself all of the time - just don't fall Bernie. 

As far as the garage, please don't give me too much credit.  I've been saying that I would tackle it since husband passed away at the beginning of 2007.  It took me 11 years to get off of dead center and start. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't you just love looking out there and seeing a rabbit Susan @PAlady.  I mostly have squirrels, birds and rabbits.  I did have a possum that started eating here in January (I feed all year). 

Sadly, 2 weeks ago I found a possum deceased under the evergreen shrub right off the patio.  I believe it was the same one who ate here on the regular.  I found it right after I cut the grass.  It looked like it curled up to sleep and just drifted away - no signs of attack by any predator.  Boy did I cry like a baby.

IMG_1127 (300x225).jpg

My squirrels love the Plow & Hearth solar stump I bought from the Q last year.  Wish I would have bought more than one when they were selling them.

IMG_1601 (350x263).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--It may have taken you years to get into the garage, but at least you are now in there doing something with it. Yes, medicine can help one thing and create a problem elsewhere. We jjust have to weigh the pros and cons and live with the decision. I am at the point where if something involves climbing a tall ladder that I will pay someone to do it. I did that with the last gutter clean out.  It cost me less than a co-pay for a regular doctor's visit so it is insurance against future problems if a major bone is broken. I am also independent and really don't like asking for help.  You have such a great heart for the animals!

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat  Remember last month when I was devastated that I was not able to rescue that one duckling in the sewer?  Well once I bought the telescoping pole and net from home depot and yelled at St. Francis, lol, I wondered what was the lesson or the blessin' in the experience?

Turns out that telescoping pole (goes up to 32 feet I think) and some of the ingenuity I inherited from my mother has enabled me to do some second story work without getting to the roof of the first floor level.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm back from the bone scan/bone density test. I am also starting on glasses 7and 8 of water. Starting today, I am trying to get in the 8 glass of water along with my other favorite beverages. I also plan to visit the toilet frequently as a result.

I just can't do plain water all day so I stopped at the Dollar Store and bought the low cal lemonade flavored additive to see if it will help. That is my big purchase of the week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean @KonaKat

My niece turned me onto something called true lemon.  She orders the large sizes from amazon.  

Image result for true lemon