Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JULY 31)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiiful sunny day, one in which we regretfully say good-bye to July. The month passed too quickly once the weather started cooperating. Now, two weeks until the beginnig of school!

I went to the city yesterday to have lunch with my niece and then shop for groceries and other needs for myself and the cat. Doing so was a reminder of how close school opening is with the displays of "back to school" items and clothing.

I got my Halston tops. The fit was fine and the material was nice but it was too clingy on me despite a good fit. It wasn't a love out of the package so they are going back.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JULY 31)

Hello Jean @KonaKat   the forums are a little unstable this morning so I'm hoping this posts the first time I try Woman Very Happy

The humidity has moved on and it's cooler today.  It may be cloudy but I don't care - open windows.... yay Woman LOL

Sounds like you and your niece had a good time yesterday.  Did she like the deck furniture?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is great that you are enjoying the lower humidity and the open window circulation. My niece liked the deck furniture.

I hadn't been to WalMart to load up on things for the cat and me so the checkout of $185+ was an eye opener but except for fill in items, I should have to make a raid for two weeks....and then there won't be a need for cat food, treats, toys, etc. The cat lives better than me.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   I can relate, lol.  My fridge looks empty and pathetic by choice.  Ever since I lost food prior to fourth of July, I just keep the bare minimum in there.  I don't want for anything and I'm not missing any meals.  

Yesterday I spent $95 at Meijers and thought how did that happen, I just went last week.

Well, there was the $20 sale of 40 lbs of wild bird seed.  Then there was the sale on ironing board pads for $13.  I finally found the athletic socks I wanted by Under Armour - 6 pairs of quarter socks (for knocking around the house) for $20.  Hey they have over 75% cotton in them so I didn't care about the cost.  Peanuts (for the squirrels) were on sale BOGO 50%.  Couldn't pass that deal up.

If nothing else we take our responsibility for our animals seriously.  

I remember when Max (the dog was alive).  He used to eat a 50/50 split of Hills RX (I think it was weight management) and Nutros Natural Lamb food.  Neither was cheap at the time.  I'd buy cases of both plus some Nutros kibble.  If I wasn't running to the vet I was hunting down his Nutros Natural because at the time that food went quickly off the shelves.Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies.....it started out very hot,sunny and humid but it is clouding up and I hve been getting severe storms alerts  for  later and Into tonight.  We hve had a run of a mini heat wave so it’s time for some rain to water my flowers.    

Nothing has been going on the past several days here... my grandson was up over the weekend enjoying the pool and we enjoying  him.        I had made a big pot of spaghetti sauce when they were here and tonight will be making chicken parm.      I can’t believe  that it’s  Aug 1st....funny but last month I remember writing I can’t believe it’s July 1st...... the kids don’t start back to school till last week of Aug.......so they have a few weeks left.

Have a nice day everyone......Marijane 

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies.....it started out very hot,sunny and humid but it is clouding up and I hve been getting severe storms alerts  for  later and Into tonight.  We hve had a run of a mini heat wave so it’s time for some rain to water my flowers.    

Nothing has been going on the past several days here... my grandson was up over the weekend enjoying the pool and we enjoying  him.        I had made a big pot of spaghetti sauce when they were here and tonight will be making chicken parm.      I can’t believe  that it’s  Aug 1st....funny but last month I remember writing I can’t believe it’s July 1st...... the kids don’t start back to school till last week of Aug.......so they have a few weeks left.

Have a nice day everyone......   Marijane.         PS not sure if this will post....keep getting message load or disregard......

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Glad you were able to have lunch with your niece and do some needed Wal Mart shopping yesterday, Jean.  Also glad your weather is nice.  Too bad about the Halston tops. Some time ago,  I had ordered a Halston top, but felt that it clinged and ended up donating it.  You are making a better move by returning it.  I kept thinking it was nice and felt good, but the clingy part got to me in time.  Pet care can certainly add up, but they are usually part of the family, and we don't want to neglect family.

Hi Bernie.  You did great at Meijers.  I can understand being concerned about losing food due to a power outage.  Glad your weather allows you to open the windows.

How nice to have your grandson there for a visit, Marijane.  I was hoping to post earlier, but the website didn't cooperate.

I'm back from my phone-answering job at the hospice office.  Very interesting -- some of the people there (including the volunteer coordinator) are so very nice.  

Rain started while I was on my walk this morning, but I had my umbrella.  Not long after I got home, it was sunny.  Then, we had thunder and lightening and more rain, but now it is sunny again.  It is cooler, but the humidity doesn't make it very comfortable.  At least we got a little much-needed rain.

I found out at the gym that one of the ladies I often see there (also from Maryland), was injured trying a new machine.  She wasn't wearing her glasses, and didn't realize that she was supposed to be on her knees.  She sat on the machine, and it flipped her off.  Now, she is suffering from a fracture? (I think) in her back -- lots of pain  Really feel bad for her..  I had already been considering a fitness orientation (which I had years ago, but there is lots of new equipment), and signed up for an orientation at the end of next week.  

My boss at the senior lunch program yesterday told me about a nearby company that makes security screen doors, and I visited them yesterday after the senior lunch program.  They will be coming next week to give me an estimate.  I'm pretty sure I will use that company or the one coming today rather than the one from Monday.  Both have the owners come out to do the estimates, and they make the doors here rather than getting them from another company.  Hopefully, they will cost less as well.  I'm still thinking about the idea of just having one door done rather than two, but I am not sure.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

@Genny1 @KonaKat @Bird mama   Hi Jean, Bernie and Marijane!  The last rain we saw here in NE Ohio was Tuesday morning.  I had an 8:00am appt at the oral surgeon (getting an implant next week...$$$$), so when I left there at 9:15, it had rained a little, but had stopped.  The roads were wet as I drove to work, so I was unhappy that my car was getting dirty.  I pulled into a parking spot at 9:30am, and thought it looked like it might rain again.  I swear, I no sooner stepped inside than the heavens opened and it was a monsoon!  Boy, did I dodge that bullet, and got a free car wash besides!

It hasn't rained here since then, and the cooler air has started moving in.  I've been trimming my bushes every other day, and I feel like they're trying to consume me, but I won't let them win.

I had to turn on the A/C on Sunday.  My cat loves to sit in the open upstairs bedroom window and look at the birds.  I was moving the shade up a little as he was running rampant through the condo, and I guess he thought I was opening the window (he's not the sharpest claw on the paw). He came running full speed up the stairs and across the bedroom, and straight into the wall!  I couldn't help laughing at him because he's done it before, and it doesn't hurt him (I think he's made of rubber).  I sure wish I had a video.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  I have some folks in my neighborhood that removed their storm doors over the years and never replaced them.  I know that I am old fashioned.... I like having a door that protects the inside door from the weather we get here in MI.  For as much as a real front (inside) door costs these days, especially with my non standard size, I just like have a storm door with screen option available.

I wish you the best of luck on the next 2 estimates.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope your implant goes well next week. Laura.  I know they can be very expensive.  Around here, it is not uncommon for people to go down to Mexico to have their dental work done -- only about 45 minutes away.  There are several dentists right across the border, and many have been trained in the U.S. and have the latest equipment.  But, prices are much lower.  But, there are sometimes issues with waiting in long lines to get back into the U.S. 

Thanks Bernie. I can completely understand why you want to have a screen/storm door.

Obviously, our weather is very different than that in Michigan.  Also, my front door is covered -- sort of under a covered patio if that makes any sense.  I don't think anyone has storm doors like we had in Maryland.

The second door guy just left, and I like him much better than the first.  For one thing, he owns the company and can speak with authority about their products, etc.  They make the doors instead of buying them from another company.

Their price is $200.00 plus less for a nicer design.  He was definitely low pressure, and said he thought it was good to get at least three estimates, plus he didn't seem to have any issues with dong one door instead of two.  So nice to deal with a straight forward guy who wasn't throwing out different prices/discounts, etc., etc.  I could have picked a slightly less expensive door, but the one I picked has a nice sun design on it rather than just an abstract design..  

I'm looking forward to the last estimate next Wednesday and making my decision.