Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JULY 3

Good morning, shopping friends. The rain continues which is getting very old. At least, in my area roads have not been destroyed by flash flooding. I went to the capital city yesterday to take a friend to a surgery folllow-up. The weather was beautiful in the morning. As we had lunch, I looked out and saw dark clouds forming. As I waited for her in the reception area, people began coming in with umbrellas. I kept my fingers crossed that it would stop to permit us to walk to the car, which it did. Heading up the Interstate, it began again and was so intense and hard to see that traffic creeped. After 30 miles of this, we finally drove into a dry area.

When I got home, I was greeted with a "Road Closed" sign at the entrance to the street I take to get home. I ignored it and when I got to my side street, the trucks blocking any forward progress had to back up to permit me to enter my street and driveway. I go to Columbus on Friday which is 3 hours one way. Of course, it is supposed to rain. I am so tired of this.

I don't need the TSV. My Roku of several years is still doing the job. I'm having a person to redo my deck, by cleaning it and painting it so the money for the Firestick can go toward paying him. I'd rather pay him the $250 for a several day job than to do it myself which I did the last time. Of course, all we have gotten done so far is to clean the deck. It has to be dry several days before it can be painted.

I think I would like Bernie's converta-bench to put on the deck once it is finished to replace what I am using now but time will tell. I need to buy some lawn edging to replaced the aging one that surrounds an area of flowers. I had planned to do that yesterday but the downpours changed my mind. Hopefully, I will have time to stop in the city on the way back from Columbus on Friday to pick it up. Perhaps the rain is telling me I don't need to improve things.

I could do a lot around the house today but I am tired from yesterday, lack of quality sleep last night, and lack of motivation. I have no plans for the 4th; it is a low key event here. Want fireworks? Drive miles!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JULY 3

@KonaKat   I'm so sorry you keep getting the rain.  I watch the radar and see it to the south of me all the time, but here near Lake Erie we've been missing it for the last week or so.  Just a few drops last night while I was sleeping.  We are so thankful here, but there still may be pop up storms over the next several days.  I can handle that.......I just can't handle the rain, rain and more rain that we were getting in May and June.

It's sunny and low 80's here today.  Most people are uncomfortable in this weather, but I love it.  I don't usually turn on the A/C until it gets into the 90's and humid!

I'm tired today too.  I guess I needed a little more sleep, but I will remedy that soon because I'm off work after today until next week.  I'm looking forward to that!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@2blondeI am a summer person and handle the heat very well. I can't stand AC that is set to the point that I get goose bumps on my arms from the chill. I'm one of those who prefers 3/4 sleeves when out and about.

The rain is getting old. I don't mind those brief deals but when it is so bad that it causes flooding from continued rain or trees come down because the ground is no longer solid enough to hold them, then it is time to stop.

I'm in the flatter area near the Ohio River so we get an interesting weather pattern sometimes. At least, we escaped the downpours that took out two major highways as well as property in the eastern part of the state this past week.

Right now, we are having much appreciated sunshine.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, It sounds like you are getting way too much rain.  We have had just a bit of rain here and there.  I don't enjoy the hot weather, but they are saying upper 70's by Saturday.  It's going to be in the upper 80's again today through Friday.  I think that it's a good idea to have your deck done.  We don't have a deck but our friends and family all do & it's a hot messy job.  We have the hot tub on a cement slab & a privacy fence on two sides of it.

2blonde, we have had a lot of thunderstorms miss our area.  We have the AC on during the day when it gets up to 76° in the house. We turn it off at night and sleep in the guest bedroom in the basement.   I also freeze in the grocery stores & restaurants.  It's senseless to me to keep the stores freezing cold.

Respected Contributor

@twinny70 @KonaKat   Living near Lake Erie in the summer can be very vacation-like.  There's boating ,swimming, fishing and there are resort areas.  It also is usually cooler than it is only 20 miles south of here.  The big caveat, of course, is we are also known as the famous "snow belt."  The sun can be shining on the west side of Cleveland, while we are having a blizzard here on the east side.  Occasionally, when the wind direction changes, they will get dumped on instead of us.

I drive a sports car, so it can be a challenge sometimes (everyone else around here drives SUV's).  Last winter was a breeze, though......very little snow here, but we made up for it with all the spring rain!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Monday was a rest up day for both of us.

Yesterday my DH had a good report from the neurosurgeon.  He did lots of the same testing that my neurologist does to me and thinks that the episode in March was caused from the pneumonia and Legionaire's Disease from last September.  He wants my DH to go back in 6 months for a new CT scan and follow-up appointment.

I am getting my infusion & things are going well.  We had lunch in the hospital cafeteria before I checked in.  I am on a different IVIG drug & the nurse just gave me a print out of side effects and the name of this new drug.  Last time I had a slightly different drug & I had no side effects.  We are praying for the best & hoping that I am good to go for another 8 weeks.

Tomorrow afternoon we are picking our ds up at the bus station in Rkfd.  Just over an hour away from us.  I think we will take him to the nice Italian restaurant in town and meet some good friends there.  I don't know if we will go to see the fireworks or not.  We can go to a nice church a mile away and get free parking & just have to take lawn chairs.

On Friday afternoon our niece and her family will be getting here. I am going to make lasagna and garlic bread for supper.  I need to go to the cheese factory tomorrow morning and get some good WI cheese.  It always makes the best lasagna.I

On Saturday morning I will fix a good breakfast & then our guests and my brother 

& his family are going to Baumgartner's for their Limburger cheese sandwich.  My DH and I are staying home to recuperate.  Lol.  Then at 1:15 we are meeting them at the restaurant and heading up to the graduation party.

The weather on Saturday calls for mid 70's and partly 🌞🌞🌞.  Yippee.  They ordered a tent, tables and chairs so it should be perfect.

We stayed overnight with our dd 's family last night and they are busy as usual which is a good thing.  Christopher likes his new job at the Outback Steakhouse.  He has to wear a long sleeved black dress shirt and black dress pants.  It's a good thing that his car has A.C.

Drew has 3 jobs which he likes & a gf that he sees at one of his jobs.  They both work at the elementary school just down the street. 

Emily can entertain herself nicely and is on a day trip with her dad today.  Our dd is keeping the ship afloat.  She doesn't do her at home job as soon as school gets out & starts up in September when the dc area back in school.  Her soaps, scrubs etc. melt in the mail.  

Yesterday we did a little bit of shopping.  Just bought 2 pump hand soaps for the bathrooms and a bag of coffee.  My niece and her dh drink a lot of coffee with their breakfast.  

I still can't believe that it's the 4th of July weekend already.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

@2blondeI live close enough to you that we hear all about the Lake Effect Snows but the weather reports are really more centered to Columbus to the West, and Eastern Kentucky/Western Virginia to the South. We escaped having snow bu t did get some ice. You are right in that we are getting the rain in its place. If I had a choice, I would take the rain.

Twinny--I hope your infusion is going well. The graduation party sounds well planned; now, to have the weather cooperate with it. Your mentioning buying coffee reminds me that I just opened my last can of coffee. I usually keep two cans on hand and when I open the last one, I go and buy two more, Can't be without coffee! Your niece and DH wouild agree!

I need to go and pick up a prescription. I'm one of the few in the area that takes this drug, so it has to be ordered if a 90 day supply is used. I always check in advance of it being needed to see if they need to order it. It only takes a day for the order to come in. Good that insurance covers most of it as it would cost me over $800. When I see prices like that, I think of other things that could be done with it.

Honored Contributor

Hello shopping buddies Woman Happy 

A storm blew through here yesterday around 6:30.  As usual I was on the phone with my sister when I said, hey, it's getting windy by me, is it windy by you?  Then I asked about the rain.  (She didn't get any of what I got).

When my lamp flickered in the office I said, I better go downstairs and unplug the washer and dryer. 

As I was passing the kitchen window I did what I always do, glanced out the window and that's when I saw the yellow birdhouse detach, fly up in the air and land on the concrete patio on it's back.  The opening for the birds was facing up and torrential rain was coming down.  I yelled OMG birdhouse down and hung up on my sister  Woman Very Happy

It felt like gale force winds out there when I ran out scooped up the birdhouse.  A new neighbor 3 houses down has a pigeon coop and I think one of his white/reddish colored feathered young pigeons was on my garage roof, head tucked down and hanging on for dear life.

These pigeons know him, they don't know me.  One or two will visit when he lets them out to exercise and I talk to them and they look at me like I'm crazy.  They know humans and they know I am not their human. 

Still, I held the storm door open and called to the bird hoping it would come down so I could bring it in temporarily until the storm was over.  The pigeon didn't budge and it's little feet hung on and it made it through.

At one time there were 2 sparrow young ones in the house.  One fledged and I knew one was in there.  It jumped out of the house went running across my family room floor.  I went to pick it up and it screamed like I was going to kill it.

That really started me Woman Surprised  I guess that I forget that my sparrows knew my voice and touch before their eyes opened.  I picked the bird up, held it in the palm of my hand against my chest and said that's enough. I'm not going to kill you.  This is just temporary, so let's get you back in the house so you can calm yourself.

He went back into the house and refused to turn around and face me.  He kept his back to me.  Once the storm passed, I repaired the chain and put the birdhouse back in place.  The parents came back and fed it within 10 minutes.

Before he fledged today I went out on the patio.  He was in the 'doorway' and I said, can I have a photo to remember you by?  He looked disgusted with me.

Here's a photo of Mr Happy.  

IMG_20190703_102147146.jpg

I lost everything in my fridge except the Canada Dry gingerale by 11:30 this morning.  I could kick myself for doing the grocery shopping yesterday morning.  Well at least my fridge is clean - I had to do something to keep myself busy while waiting for power to be restored.

I'll take a nice relaxing bath, get a list together and the go back to the store later on tonight.  

I cleaned up branches from walnut tree in the back yard yesterday.  Some of them flew passed my house and ended up across the street Woman Surprised

I placed my order for the American West doe enhancer.  I'm funny about picture jasper and I hope I get a good stone that isn't full of big blotches.

American West Sterling Silver Picture Jasper Doe Enhancer - J362605

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  You certainly have been having lots of rain.  Hope things are okay for your trip on Friday.  Funny thing, I had been thinking about getting Bernie's convert-a-bench as well.  It will wait until there is another nice sale for sure.  I was thinking about the TSV but decided my Roku is fine.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it works for me.  

Unlike your area and others around the country, we are certainly not bothered by too much rain.  Of course, it is hot here, but dry much of the time.  Sorry you didn't sleep well last night.  It was a pretty good night for me, but I may need a short nap later since I didn't go to bed very early and got up at my usual (for this time of the year) 5:30.  It was already pretty warm on my walk.

You certainly live in an interesting area 2blonde.  I would have problems driving in the ice and snow, particularly in a sports car.  LIke you, I am not fond of AC, but it is a necessity here in Southern Arizona where we have many 100 degree days in the summer.  I can handle fairly warm days, but I need the AC at night.  

Hope your infusion goes well, and you have a great time with your family, twinny.  Sounds very busy to say the least.  Very happy to hear about your DH's test results.  I know you are relieved.

I had made a couple of banana breads (they had some leftover bananas at work yesterday) last night, and took them down to the senior lunch program and adult day services this morning.  Then I went to the Post Office to mail off some forms to transfer most of the money remaining in DH's brokerage account to his children.  Long story, but all three of us need to sign the papers, and I have the forms on my computer.  Hope I filled them in properly since it has been a while since I did a transfer.  Then I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some needed supplies.

Very sorry you lost the food in your refrigerator, Bernie.  That is quite a story about your birdhouse in the storm.  I am glad you didn't fall and hurt yourself in your efforts to save the birds.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I heard from DH"s DD yesterday evening.  They had a nice trip to Turkey, and we updated one another with the news.  She is such a nice person.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--That is really a great bird story. Yes, he looks really "happy." Thank you for helping them during the storm. I hope your jewelry lives up to expectations. The pic is lovely!

Linda--I am so glad that you heard from DH's DD and that yoiu are able to continue a good relationshiop and updating. I probably say too much about the rain but it is frustrating to make plans and then have to drive in rain so heavy that it is difficult to see. Easier just to stay home and watch TV.

I got back from the drugstore and post office and went to record an item in my favorite academic year calendar.That reminded me I needed to get one for the September 2019 through December 2020 year.  Those sell out quickly in the city so I've started ordering mine from Amazon. I've used this version for years as it is a size that goes into a 3-ring binder and has blank pages with each month to record items as needed beyond that of nicely sized dates for each month. I use this to record my work assignments, payments, trips, etc. It is a great one item meets several purposes item. I keep the prior years for references.