Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN 30)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am home as a result of a snow day because of the frigid temperatures that will drop again this afternoon through the night. I know we are on a 3 hour delay tomorrow but time will tell if we will be closed tomorrow. Today, 51 out of the 55 districts in the state are closed. The only ones open are the ones close to Washington, DC.

This video circulated on Facebook but it is a humorous look at school closing announcements. This is the You Tube link to it and is a good laugh for the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpOfJ8hxQ0&feature=youtu.be

Before going to school yesterday, I saw the Denim & Co. chenille topper I have which was on sale yesterday. I really love it so I put it on check status for time to debate the buying. Do I actually need it? No, but I love the item and would use it.

I went online and checked the balance on the credit card I use for most things because of the cash rebates. I paid the balance  and on the day before the statement closes, I will pay the balance at that time so it will report zero on the credit reports. About 3 times a year, I let it report a small balance just to have an outside record of the card being used. I've been letting the cash back add up for a few years. Right now, I have $1,400+ setting there waiting for me to use it which I might do on the Australia trip.

Since I am home, I need to be productive here so I need to tackle and eliminate some items. I'm sure someone can use the items that I haven't been using.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN 30)

Sounds like you are really on top of balances and purchases. Excellent. Have a great 👍🏿 snow ⛄️/ 🥶 cold

day. Keep warm and happy 😊.

Trusted Contributor

Hello ladies...sunny and bright day here about 25 degrees but that will be changing as the hours go on.  I had received  an alert from the town that the schools will be on early dismissals today as they expect white  out conditions between 3 -5 pm and want the kids to get home before it starts.       I was in the  soup  aisle yesterday and checked out the price of a can of the progressio soup Jean and a can cost  2.69....same price as a gallon of gas around here....you had mentioned that was the price of a small store that overcharges for everything in your area.My store is a big national chain. Stop n Shop on the East coast, so you little store is keeping up with them,  not sure if the other big chains in my area have the same price.     Not much else going on here..

I hope everyone keeps warm / safe the next few days.......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IMWThank you. I'm warm and no water problems, so I'm comfy right now. I have a feeling that I'll be checking things often tonight. As to balances, etc., I check all my accounts about every day or two. I just don't want things to sneak up on me. It isn't the balances as much as looking for unusual activity.

Marijane--Your school district is making a good decision. Dropping temps plus white out conditions do not make for safe travel. It is currently a regular temp of 11 degrees but have no idea of the wind chill equivalent. It is amazing how that Progresso soup varies in price. I see they have it now in butternut squash, so I want to try that.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Needless to say, I do not envy your weather or any in the cold/storm zone.  Those temperatures are frightening to me.  Fortunately, we are still having warmer than normal weather, and it should make it to 70 degrees today.  They are predicting cooler temperatures with a chance of rain starting on Thursday evening, but cooler means highs in the 50's and 60's.  Hope everyone stays warm and safe.

That is great about your cash back.  I am not as good about getting rewards points as you, but I do manage to have cash back going on three credit cards.  Last year, I was able to pay my Amazon Prime membership with rewards points and have plenty left.  Following your example, I usually try to pay off the credit card balances before they are due, but let some go until they send a bill to pay it.

When I saw that D&Co. topper on product review, I thought it was the one you like so much.  I was tempted, but I wanted a color they do not offer.  I do not care for the Q2 big deal tunic -- just too long for me, even in petite.  And, I do not need any more storage containers.  But, the L&L presentation inspired me to consolidate several bags of nuts into a storage container.  Sprouts sells nuts in bulk, and I had several bags in the refrigerator.  Another good thing is that now I know that I have plenty of walnuts and need almonds.  

Hi IMW -- hope you have a nice day.  I agree with Jean, Marijane.  Good idea for the schools to close early.  I forgot to look at the Progresso soup when I was in the store last week, but I find the price similar to what they charge in your supermarket.  They seem to have sales on the regular soup from time-to-time, but the light versions are always higher around here.  Guess you have to pay for less salt, etc.  LOL

I plan to do a hospice visit today if the patient is willing to have me.  Then, I will be going to an event to get a pass to get a lower rate for the bus.  While I still do plenty of driving, I like the idea that there is a bus service that can be used to go up to Tucson -- avoids the drive and parking, and the pass will provide a "senior discount" price.  In the past, you had to go to a outlet in Tucson to get the pass, so I'm happy this will be available locally.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Contributor

Jean, thank you so much for the link to the " musical school closing"!  I live about 30 miles from that school and nearly everything in Michigan has been closed all week.  I love that tune so it was really enjoyable for me to watch.  (I also used to teach and still watch for school closings!)  Judy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--Your temps sound great. I've used the cash rewards on that card as a statement credit at times but one day I just decided to let it accumulate. I had planned to use it on England last Spring but I had the money saved in my home safe for it so I just kept letting it accumulate. I love the Progresso soup line so I'll probably keep buying it but sale prices are always appreciated.

kashakitty--Enjoy your time.  I love things with a humorous approach and I also love that tune. The original lyrics to that song are somewhat erotic and not religous as some believe but I do love the tune.

I've done a few odds and ends around the house and am now enjoying the Progresso Broccoli and Cheese soup. I haven't had it but I'll definitely buy it again. It is currently 8 degrees with the windchill below zero and the temps are dropping. Soup is great on a day like today.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

jean. I went back to yesterday’s D and C item that you put on check status...it was a special value back in Oct....I had purchased two....pink in petite and black in regular length...not much difference on me in length.  I do like them but of course not getting much wear now..they did however in the fall....and I expect when spring rolls around again

Hopefully you will get that senior discount on a bus pass Linda....they have them here, a small  bus will come to your house for a pick up....to stores, dr apt,mall etc. you do have to make arrangements beforehand.   I also hope you get to see your patient again for another visit.

Judy welcome.to this  very nice group of ladies ...I don’t have any kids in my town schools but I get updates too!,....Never did..when we moved here they were  out of school.  

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--How is the pink? Is it lighter than pictured or about the same? 

I just found out the vet practice where I board Midnight doesn't normally board animals with a non-medical need. I am one of the few exceptions they make. There is no way I could travel without Midnight being boarded. I'll definitely get them a supply of Valentine's Day candy and have ordered it from Amazon. It is a 5 pound assosrtment of Kit Kat, Hershey Bar miniatures, Cadbury chocolate hearts and Reese's miniatures.  I have always appreciated their taking great care of my cat and do something for them about each time I take a trip.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean. Not having school today is a good idea & a delay for tomorrow might be a good idea too.  I liked that D. & Co. topper.  It looks nice and warm.  Your CC rewards is great & will come in handy for your Aussie trip.

IMW, welcome.

Marijane, It looks like you will be getting our frigid weather.  There is a Stop n Shop where our son & ddil live and I think that it is expensive.  My DH bought gas for $1.99 in the next town over yesterday.  We were giving the Subaru a road trip.  Lol.

Linda L, I like clear containers & use quite a few of them.  I like seeing at a glance what's in what.  Getting a reduced bus pass would be nice.  It's a nice alternative to driving everywhere you go.  I hope that your hospice visit goes well today.

It's a "baby it's cold outside day.". Our thermometer says -20 & the chili factor now is -47.  So far we are toasty warm.  All schools have been closed for 2 days and most are closed tomorrow.  Many businesses are closed today which is a good thing.

Yesterday our 2nd dgs passed his driving test.  I know that he is over the 🌙🌙🌙 happy.  My DD said that he passed, it was a very cold day and the test was quick. We are going to send him a nice card and a Qwik Trip gift card to have fun with.  Not filling the gas tank with it.  He didn't have school yesterday or today, but the DMV in the Capitol City was open.  Too bad the schools weren't closed last week when he was still sick.

Our post office is closed today and I don't ever remember them not delivering the mail.   Yesterday the guy on our local radio station said that anybody under the age of 25 has never before seen these types of temps.  We are under a severe cold weather warning until tomorrow noon and by Friday, things will be a lot better.  30's and rain isn't good either on top of the snow.

I am sure glad that I had my infusion yesterday instead of today.  We aren't going out today or tomorrow.  By Friday things should be back to normal.  It's just nice to have a couple of days to do what we want or nothing at all.

Hugs to all of you.