Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN.25)

Hi Everyone!

We got the big snow and ice storm that was predicted. It started on Tuesday pm and has finally stopped for a bit now. There was some ice and we had some icicles on the new gutters. I was anxious to see how these would perform. There were only a few instead of a complete line of them so I'm much calmer now. I can hear them melting and the water moving in the gutters so I can breathe. The roof had a layer of ice around the edges so we must have had more wind than I thought. Hope everyone else was safe and warm and is melting now.

FYI--if anyone is in need of silicone oven gloves or oven mitts there are some on clearance. I noticed yesterday when I was taking he meatloaf from the oven that the silicone was worn in some areas on my gloves. I like these for those larger temptation dishes but the regular Temptation gloves work great for stove top and toaster items. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, JAN.25)

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Sounds like so far so good for your house during the storms.  Hope the ice is mostly melted, and you don't have any problems.

I have had some silicone oven mitts that must be at least 10 years old.  Love them -- so much more protective than the fabric ones we had in the past. They have one set of very small ones at the senior lunch program, but mostly the fabric kind.  And, I really miss them.  Maybe I should buy some and donate them.  The only problem is that things like that tend to disappear -- who knows where they go.

I had a very interesting OLLI class this morning (about the Constitution).  One of my friends called and said she is coming back to the area (she has been staying with her daughter in California for ages).  She has metastatic breast cancer that has gone into her bones.  Doesn't sound good at all, unfortunately.

I went to the grocery store(s) today, and found a few good bargains -- grape tomatoes, spinach, and a few other produce items for 99 cents each or per pound.  But, other items were quite expensive.  I did find some store brand peanut butter on sale, so I got that for the food bank.

In the afternoon I went to the hospice office and finished the letters and did some filing.  The supplies were ready, but I decided to deliver them tomorrow morning since it was already 5:00 p.m. when I finished the other jobs. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Jean would appreciate prayers and good thoughts for her heart procedure next week. 

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte---I find a similar trade off in the grocery store in our area. A few "good" buys and most other needs high in price. It doesn't balance it out but it's bettern than nothing. I always told the kids ---"a buck is a buck". If you save it then eventually you'll have enought when you really need it. 

So good to hear that you didn't start those deliveries until the next day. I really don't like driving at night or late in the day. It's too risky these days if the unforseen should happen.

Your OLLI class sounded interesting. I noticed that there are a few new books published on this lately. There's a lot to be learned from that one document. 

I'll keep Jean in my prayers and thoughts. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fressa, we had  light snow all day yesterday and a dusting early this morning.  No need for the snowblower.  It's supposed to snow tomorrow and most of Saturday.  I think we have gotten 16 cat tracking snow falls so far & 20 more to go.

Linda L, your classes sound interesting.  I have one of those oven gloves too.  They are a big help as my fingers are so sensitive.  I use a toothpick to see if cookies or muffins are done as I can't touch them to see if they pop back up. Lol.

We had planned to go shopping and lunch out yesterday, but the slick roads kept us home.

It was grocery shopping day this morning.  Butter was $2.99 lb, eggs were still $4.99 or higher.   Blueberries were $1.99, Strawberries were $3.99 which I got too as I am going to have an Angel Food cake with strawberries and whipped cream.  The Grandchildren don't like cake, but two of them like this.

We went to a Chinese Buffet 22 miles away for lunch  & then to the gym this afternoon.

We are going to play FLIPPO at the senior center tomorrow afternoon.  SINGO BINGO was fun on Monday.  On Tuesday, we went to the potato bar for dinner and the drumming band which was interesting.  All of the instruments were from Ghana.

The 3  DGC are planning to come down for dinner on Saturday night & we are going to our favorite Italian restaurant for pizza.  Snow might interfere with our plans.  It's hard to get them down here all at the same time.  Friday night might work.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

ETA: Prayers are going out to Jean.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Praying for a favorable outcome and speedy recovery being sent Jean's way.

We had 7 inches of snow yesterday.  It was the kind of snow heavy with moisture that clung to trees and shrubs - the pretty kind of snow.  My Ariens snowblower is not good with that kind of snow.  The augers pick up the snow and it gets stuck in the chute so me and Joe (Snow Joe) my favorite shovel with lift assist handle went out 3 times and I shoveled as the snow fell over 4 to 5 hours.  It wasn't too bad and short of my back muscles feeling like they worked out more than usual I had no real pain yesterday or today.

Winter in Michigan should look like this Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon/evening!  Hi Fressa and Glenda.  It was a bit chilly here today, mostly due to the wind.  The sun is out which suits me fine.

Sounds like you have been busy, Glenda.  Hope things work out for your grands visit this weekend. 

I enjoyed lunch today at a Vietnamese restaurant.  It is a pretty small place, and we were crammed tightly into three tables.  I wanted to talk with one of the ladies, but couldn't get out of my seat until she was about to leave.  We did talk a little, and it was nice talking with the ladies at my table.

I waited to do the hospice deliveries until after lunch, and then went to the hospice office to pick up a missing letter and do some filing.  As I was about to leave, I heard one of the nurses talking about a patient who had died around noon.  Turned out to be one who I had delivered supplies for earlier.  The nurse requested that I go back and pick those supplies up since they could be used for other patients.  So, I did that.  Long story short, I spent much more time than I expected on hospice duties today.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Glad you got the type and quantity of snow you enjoy, Bernie.  Happy you aren't too sore after all that shoveling.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama,  wowzie.  I didn't send you that much snow as we have been getting an inch or two of the light fluffy stuff at a time.   I am glad that you aren't having any problems getting rid of it.   I am a snow lover too, but not when I have plans to do things.  I don't mind driving in it, but not on the country roads.  We have great plows here and I am sure that you do too.  Now they are saying we could get 3-6" of snow by  Saturday night.  

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70---I'll cross my fingers that the snow doesn't create a problem for the dgc visit and holds off until they are safely home. Fluffy snow is fine but that icy under layer we all could do without. We had wind gusts with the snowfall here so there's and underglaze of ice everywhere. UGH!! 

Glad you are having fun with the game nights.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--That heavy snow is a pain with the snowblower. I swear you need a city plow to get that stuff thru a set of blades. We use a shovel as well because you just can't get that stuff up and cleared. Glad you did it in layers. It's the same with Fall leaves around here. I keep saying that none of us are 20 anymore.....or 50 anymore and we have to pace ourselves.