Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, FEB. 24)

Hi everyone - sorry I've been out of the loop.  My DH and I were sick with colds this past week, or maybe the flu, as we were running fevers.  Jean - I never heard if your foot was actually broken, but I hope that it's healing well.  Thanks for the link to see Richard dancing.  Rosa - I have to get a crown too.  Just need to schedule the appointment, but I'm procrastinating.  Hope your procedure goes well.  Bernie - Sorry that it's so cold there.

Linda - I hope you don't mind me sharing a few things about my Dad's care.  is your DH willing to wear Depends or similar product?  I know that every person is an individual and may or may not be agreeable to things.  My Dad would have had a fit going to something like your DH's "club" (I wish he would have), but he was okay with wearing Depends.  It made life easier for my Mom, in terms of not having to clean up messes.  It was the liquids that were a problem for my Dad, not the other, thank goodness.  Anyway, near the end of my Dad's life, he didn't quite make it as far as he needed to in the bathroom, and then he slipped and fell on the wet tile floor.  He cracked a rib and never did recover from that.  Two nights later my Mom was helping him to the bathroom and he fell again, taking her down with him.  That time he hit his head.  He never recovered from those two falls.  He spent the following 3 months in a home before he passed away.  Having "accidents" on floors can cause the elderly to slip and fall as my Dad did, and be the beginning of the end.  I know that part of the challenge though, is how cooperative the person may or may not be.  Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you!

It's hard to realize that some of you are still in snowy weather.  It was 86 degrees here yesterday.  My daffodils look gorgeous.  I'm still hoping for some cool and rainy days.  (So much for an El Nino year!)  I'm doing the minimum of chores until I'm more fully recovered from this cold.  Take care everyone!  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, I hope your foot is healing ok Jean and it would be great to be able to get your two different Dr's apts done on the same day.

Twinny hope you are having a great lunch with your MIL and later with your friends at your house.  We have had many ice storms here and I'd rather the snow!

Charlene I would even take the reverse of your temps now....we still aren't out of the woods yet as far as snow goes.  Bernie safe travels back home tonight.....hope the roads aren't too bad.

Not much here, it's a terrible day pouring rain and also thunder...in the low 40's.  I have salmon for tonight so that's taken care of bought it yesterday when I went to the store.  Staying put today..guess I could do something around here....but being on my iPad is nicer!!        Have a nice day everyone.....Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  After a night of storms it's rainy and overcast; more rain is forecast for later in the day.  No plans to go anywhere - I already got my semi-weekly litterbox scrubbing done, and will tackle homework in a little while.  How can I handle all this excitement?  Cat LOL

Wow, the price on those meatballs is ridiculous!  One can do much, much better at Sam's or Costco.

Hope you're feeling better, Charlene. It's worse when DH is sick as well, as you don't have anyone to "fetch & carry" for you.  How are the goats doing?

Jean, I can't imagine wasting money on a ramen noodle cooker - they're so simple to make (if they're something you eat) without one, but...I guess that's proof people will buy anything.  I went down one of those rabbit trails on FB last night, and came across a site with baby products - like a thing a pregnant woman wears that tweets everyone when her baby kicks, a thing to hang babies on in public toilets while you go, and all kinds of other silly stuff.

Twinny, I rarely get in a cleaning mood, but it's a necessary evil. I'm trying to get my wood floors shiny again, but I think it's a lost cause.

Guess I'd better start thinking about what's for lunch.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you were not able to work today, but I hope it was a nice day off.  That first car payment with 47 to go sounds daunting, but at least you really like your car.  Hope you can arrange to have your appointments on the same day.  

Waves to spix, snicks, and Bernie -- hope you avoid any weather-related issues.  Driving on icy roads is so frightening.

Happy you have your new roof/peace of mind, Rosa.  Sorry you will need to spend money on that crown.  Somehow medical expenses never make my day.  

Hope you had a nice time with your MIL and friends twinny.  That is a shame about your Mom.

Sorry you and your DH have not been feeling well, Charlene.  Quite a few people around here have been suffering from the flu, etc., and the hospital emergency rooms are having trouble keeping up.

Thanks for sharing about your Dad.  DH has been wearing Depends for a while (he objected at first, but then agreed), and he does try to make it to the bathroom.  His problem is with both, unfortunately.  He just doesn't seem to know how to "aim" or what he needs to do.  Not sure if I can describe it more without grossing everyone out.  I try to help him make it to the toilet and avoid falling, and I know that it can be a huge issue.  When I am there and awake, I can always clean things up, but he has a tendency to get up several times at night.  And, I try to avoid getting up so often since I can't get much rest that way.  I usually get up at least once in the middle of the night, but not three or four times.  

Did I mention that they delivered his sleeping medicine at 10:15 or so last night?  I couldn't believe it -- so late that he was already in bed.  But, at least I have the medicine on hand now.

Sorry about your weather, Marijane.  I can spend lots of time on my computer as well.  Trying to limit myself somewhat, but not very successful.  Enjoy your salmon.

Your weather sounds nasty, Arlene.  Those meatballs do seem expensive, but I'm not a meatball fan, so no temptation for me.

Waves to Kathleen, Susan, LindaR, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

It was another busy day for me.  The caregiver came, and she told me that she gets up at 3:00 a.m. to make it to work by 5:00.  I don't know how much she is paid, but I am sure she deserves lots more.  After I dropped off DH at the club (he ate his lunch again today), I took a walk, and then went to a class (travel).  I left a bit early to meet some ladies for lunch -- very nice place and gathering, but rather slow service.  I ran by the 99 cent store to pick up some produce, and then picked up DH.  He went for a short walk in the little park maintained by the garden club.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

This is a random comment, lol, but I think everyone should have a small package of disposable underwear (what I call Depends) on hand. 

I started buying them for myself 'for that time of the month' because I had issues and regular/jumbo/overnight products couldn't keep up with my flow.  I lucked out, my hubby didn't razz me about them - it was either that or I'd get him up in the middle of the night to change the sheets.

Hubbie needed them when he got sick and I think it's great to keep a small package in the bathroom cupboard.  Never know when you are going to get the flu or some other digestive issue when 'time is of the essence'  :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise