Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC.8)

Hi Everyone!

It's cold and snowy here. It looks like we might keep the cold temps for the remainder of the week but the snow only for today. It's melting on the ground but still sticking to the grass. 

I didn't make it to pick up my prescriptions and groceries yesterday because washing the rugs and stair treds took much longer than I had planned. Today, I still don't feel well enough to take the car out but hopefully by tomorrow. 

I read where Elise Ivy is leaving and moving to FL to be with her "man of her dreams" and start another chapter in her life. I really liked her presentations but am happy for her.

It was good to see Marybeth on this morning and Mary D. I enjoy their presentations and that they give the info about the item. I was tempted with a few items as gifts but so far haven't ordered. I think I need to take inventory (again) in the gift tub and see what I need and have. I still have gift cards to purchase and am crossing my fingers that there won't be shortages there but who knows. 

I did some more research on dehumidifiers and found a list of 52 recalls for brnads catching on fire. So glad that I was behind on this because some of these brands were on the store website. All of the brands were made in China but most appliances are these days. I figure it was a good thing I'm a bid behind on this task.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC.8)

Hello Fressa and all who join after me Woman Happy  I finished decorating around the house on Saturday and got the tree up and decorated on Sunday.  I was glad that I got it done.  

Once my furnace and A/C were replaced in September, I decided to replace my sister's furnace and A/C as a gift.  She turned 60 last year so I considered it a milestone birthday present.  That and she had no central air (unit died) in 2020 and 2021.  She did buy a portable amana A/C unit this year.

I figured the gift would be the same amount I spent on mine.  She needed a chimney liner (her chimney never had one) and she needed a water heater (she's reimbursing me for that).

Wow, I never realized how severely the pandemic has affected things.  One of the things that complicated the installation was that her residential street was being replaced - like all the way down to the sand with new curbs, driveway aprons and the whole 9 yards.  She got on the schedule for her HVAC installation in October.  The street construction basically happened like this - split the block in half, do the north side first then the south side.  The north side was delayed a bit and then the south side was started right at the time she was on the books for her HVAC appointment. 

It looked like all was going well for the next appointment in November when the street construction folks ran into a supply issue.  Long story short, her appointment was Monday and Tuesday of this week.  She had vacation time to be at home and was on the phone with me alot both days.  Chimney liner fine, water heater perfect, furnace installed and told by installers they couldn't get it to ignite and then left her there and called service.  Mind you it was freezing that day with winds 40 MPH and snow flurries.  Tech comes out about 90 minutes later won't tell her what was wrong and says it's fine.  Well it was for maybe 30 minutes and then stopped working.  She placed an ER call to company and another tech came out.  Turns out some plug that controls the ignition wasn't shoved in far enough by first service tech that came out.

Yesterday was her electrician's appointment and of course another cold day - power turned off.  We both felt bad for all the workers who had to be out in the weather to complete the work.  Everything is working fine now - the entire experience was as exhausting for me as it was for her.

I can't lie - the thought crossed my mind that I should have kept my mouth shut until spring.  Her furnace was old but at least it was operational.  Now that it's all behind us I guess it was a good thing, lol.

I wrote out my Christmas cards today and need to swing by the post office and drop them in the inside mail chute.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Greetings! Nothing new here except Momma Nature dumped some white stuff and ice just prior to time traffic would hit. It wasn't the amount of snow but black icing conditions contributedd to a number of accidents and an early school bus going into a deep ditch in a switchback curve on a steep hill. Some schools ended up either cancelling or delaying since it was so bad.

It is times like this that Spring is very attractive. I didn't even put out the trash as I didn't want to risk the walk down the driveway. I've spent the day in the safety of the house. Right now, I'm watchig Dr. Pimple Popper. I've always liked medical shows.

My cardioversion is scheduled for Monday and right now, the long range forecast looks favorable. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, I responded to your post from last night.  Elise is a pleasure to watch as is MB. We got a dusting of snow yesterday.  It's sunny and cold today, so I am happy.   We might get a bit of snow tonight/tomorrow which we need for winter sports.  Our eldest dgs is looking forward to going skiing.  He asked for a pair of weather proof gloves for Christmas.  We got a nice pair yesterday while we were doing the Christmas shopping.  It's a good feeling to be done with the decorating and shopping.  I enjoy wrapping gifts.  The only thing left is getting a few more prizes for BINGO & the dgc's stockings.  

Bird Mama, I am glad that you & your sister have the furnace/HVAC things taken care of.  No fun to be without heat in the winter time.  You did good to get your decorating done and the cards written.  We got our first Christmas card a few days ago.  I hope to get ours done this weekend.  

We just got back from the gym.  I only did 20 minutes instead of my usual 30 minutes.  I am still feeling the fatigue from my infusion & Christmas shopping.  Dinner is leftover roast beef in the crock pot from yesterday.  Thank goodness.

It's a beautiful day.  Blue skies and a bit of snow on the rooftops.  

The diet for my Colonoscopy next Tuesday starts tomorrow.  It's grocery shopping day tomorrow  so I will be getting a few things that I can eat.  I get swabbed on Sunday & then have a two day quarantine from my dh.  Not sure how that will work.  

We are hosting Christmas lunch here next Saturday.  It's going to be pizza from our favorite pizza place.  All I have to do is make our dgc's favorite fruit Jello salad the night before.    We have desserts and a fruit salad coming from our family, so it will be easy for me.  10-12 people is very manageable.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, that's too bad about icy roads and accidents.  We got a dusting  on Sunday and might get a bit more tonight or tomorrow.  I am glad that your appt will have favorable weather on Monday.  My appt weather look good for Monday and Tuesday.  Wednesday will be a rest up day for me.  

The sun is making our LR so nice & toasty.  

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Like you, I enjoyed Elise the few times that I saw her, and I'm a big fan of MB.  Also like Mary D.  While I don't watch that often, the host makes a difference.  So much so that I turn it off if the host gets on my nerves.  

Sorry you were not able to get your prescription, etc., yesterday.  Hope you are able to do so tomorrow.

That is something about the dehumidifier.  Glad you didn't get one of those prone to fires.  

You are so generous, Bernie.  But, what a mess with the installation of the units for your sister.  I remember having a furnace replaced in the winter -- very cold night -- probably not as cold as in Michigan.  Sometimes the bad timing just can't be helped.

Glad you got your decorations done, and your cards mailed already.  I received my first Christmas card today, along with two birthday cards that were a bit late.  My new policy is to mail cards a week or more before the occasion.  I would rather they be early than late.  Not sure when I will get to my Christmas cards, but hopefully this weekend like Glenda.  

Better safe than sorry, Jean.  You certainly don't want to fall taking out the trash.  It is a shame there were icy roads and accidents in your area.  Good thing better weather is predicted for your procedure next week.

I certainly don't envy you having to do the colonoscopy prep, Glenda.  Glad you were able to get to the gym, and please don't overdo things.  Listen to your body as they say.  Your holiday plans sound great.  

Our weather was pretty nice today, but they are predicting much colder (down in the 30's) Thursday night and rain on Friday.  I am hoping that my hospice deliveries will be done tomorrow afternoon, but that might not happen.  I have a luncheon to go to, and it may be too late when I get home.  I did the hospice mailing this afternoon.

This morning, I made bread for the first time in ages, and put the oven at the wrong temperature (lower).  Hope the bread tastes okay, but....  Today was my last OLLI class of the "semester" -- Anglo Saxon history.  I had a nice chat with DH's DD who was busy working yesterday, but wanted to wish me a happy birthday.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Thanks for all the birthday wishes, and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, it was nice of your dh's dd to call & wish you a happy birthday.  My Christmas card list is getting smaller as we have lost friends & family this year.  It's sad to think about it.  I am glad that the decorating is all done.  I do have lights on the spindles, a cabinet with a white boa with white lights and 3 non lit tree's that sparkle.  My lighted snowman came out yesterday when we had a dusting of snow.  The extra light's in the house are nice as it gets dark at 5:00.  I am recovering from my infusion & Christmas shopping.  I don't usually do much after my infusion, but I had a Christmas list of ideas from our 3 dgc and we found everything that we were looking for.  Everything that we bought was on sale except for one thing.  

Glenda