Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am off from work bcause the governor declared it a state holiday as part of the national day of mourning. We also have some snow. 

I just placed an order with Amazon for a few things, but the total only came to less than $60. Part of it was my calcium supplement about to be exhausted and the price was better than locally or in the city when I last checked.

I liked that Kipling bag at 40% off until I found it fastened by magnetic closures. Sorry, when carry a bag, the big compartments need a zipper for security.

I saw the thread about wearing red in public. I've "seen red" for years as it is my favorite color followed by royal blue as I looked best in those. Of course, I also like my black and charcoal but show something in red, and I'm immediately attracted to it.

I'm using this day to relax. so I'll be heading for the Kindle after lunch. The morning was spent paying bills online and just watching the Q and the Weather Channel.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Hope you have a relaxing day, and the snow isn't a problem.  We have cloudy, but warmer weather today.  I was pretty comfortable on my walk this morning.  At the gym yesterday, a man who walks in my neighborhood said that he was very cold yesterday morning, particularly his hands.  He said he plans to wear gloves in the future.  I've been wearing mine for a while since my hands can get very cold.

We are expecting rain and cooler temperatures tomorrow and the next day.  I'm sure we can use the rain, but I love the warm sun.

Like you, I enjoy wearing red.  Royal blue (and most blues) are my favorite, but I think red and bright pink/fuchsia are next on my list.  I think that bright colors look good on me since I am pretty pale.  I like other colors, particularly yellow and peach/orange,as well as the neutral colors, but I think blues, reds, and bright pinks look the best. 

I attempted to update the deductions to my pension (increase them for taxes next year), but I could not get into my account.  I asked for a code to re-set my password.  Fortunately, I have plenty of time to do the updating.

Hope to get my hair cut today -- not too short, but shorter and shaped better.  I have a coupon for a free haircut for my birthday, but it will still cost $$ to have it styled, tip, etc.  Still a very nice coupon to have, especially since it is goof for your "birthday week" rather than just the day.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it sounds like a good day to have off weather wise and for the memorial service of former President George H W Bush.  I like red and it is our H S colors along with white.  My DH proudly wears his Red Sox jacket.  When our dc would go shopping with us, I always made sure that they wore red so we could find them.  I am one that won't buy a purse without a good zipper.  I don't trust magnets either. 

Linda L, after a few cloudy days,  we are finally getting 🌞🌞🌞.   Good luck with getting into your account . I hope that your haircut is a good one.  I always keep my hair short & my new stylist is doing a very nice job.  I like all colors except tan, grey and olive . They look awful on me.on

I am getting my infusion & just had a good lunch . It was a chef salad and a fresh fruit bowl with Crystal lite lemonade.

We are going out for dinner with friends and enjoying the 50¢ wings.  It is my treat to me today.

My DH is doing a bit of shopping for me and when I get done, I will enjoy a nap.  Drowsiness is starting to hit me.  

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  thanks for starting the thread today.  I watched President Bush's funeral online today.  About half of what I watched was muted.  These 'analysts' just yammer on and on.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  I don't like it when my hands get cold so I've been known to keep suede gloves in the car for those rare summer nights when the temps drop and the steering wheel on the car gets cold.  I'm sure I've looked weird in the past driving with suede gloves on in the summer.  Once the car warms up I take them off Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@twinny70  when my nieces were little and I would take them to the mall, I always made sure they wore something that made them stand out.  My middle sister and I used to buy their winter coats and we always made sure the coats had hoods.  When the kids were small, if they walked in front of me, they better not get so far ahead I can't snatch their hoods, lol.

The youngest great niece was an escape artist.  She was a toddler when she hid in clothing racks in a store.  I nearly had a heart attack thinking I was going to have to deliver bad news to my sister and her husband.

I took that child to a pet store and told the young kid behind the counter, hand me that harness - the one that would fit a german shepherd.  Oh and give me that coordinated 6 foot leash. 

I put it on my niece over her coat and she said, dis for doggy?  I said and little girls who don't listen to aunt Bernie.  Are you going to listen to me or do I have to walk with you like a dog.  She said I listen.  I said okay and gave the kid (who was twitching by this time) the harness and leash.

She never left my eyesight after that.

This happened shortly after that little boy Adam disappeared at the Sears store.  I did disclose to my sister and BIL what I had done so they wouldn't think their youngest was crazy talking about dog leashes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bird Mama, there is nothing like losing a young child . When our son was two & I was pregnant with our dd, I took him to an outdoor appliance sale . One moment he was here and the next moment he was gone.  I was frantic because this parking lot was on a busy street.  Luckily I ran into a lady from our church and she asked me if I was looking for a blond little boy.  Yes, I was & he was standing between 2 refrigerators with his hands up in the air!

When our dd started walking at 10 months, my mom gave me one of the harnesses that they had for us.  It was a cute white leather harness and I walked beside her with pride instead of fear.  

Once when my brother was 2 my grandma was here from England and we lost him at a large discount store in the Capitol City.  We were frantic thinking that he got outside of the store.  We finally found him in the toy department.

Maybe we need to start a post about this.

Eta:  I missed the paragraph about you getting the leash at a pet store.  That is even funnier.  Our's  were made for toddlers.

Trusted Contributor

Hi friends, thanks for getting us started Jean - I also saw the thread on red clothing.  I've worn red all my life.  I like colorful tops and prints, but I guess some people don't like to draw any attention to themselves and hesitate to wear anything bright.  To me, red is cheerful looking.  I have found the memorials of President Bush to be touching.  Linda - wearing gloves while walking is a good idea.  Hope you like your upcoming hair cut - I am overdue for one myself.  twinny - How nice that your DH does some shopping.  My DH tries, but he usually comes home with the wrong thing.  Like you, I think I feel a nap coming on... Bernie - We often dressed our kids in matching bright colors as well, when they were little and we were in crowded places.  It helped spot them many-a-times.

I just got back from spending a couple of hours with my Mom.  And now I'm exhausted.  I don't know how an 89 year old woman can have so much energy and talk non-stop.  Unfortunately she also tended to disagree with pretty much everything I said today, and argued with me about some stuff.  Mostly she forgets things previously told to her and then she will go on-and-on about how I never told her.  Most of the time I just keep my mouth shut and then try to change the subject.  Trying to convince her that I've previously told her about stuff, does no good.  I love her, but she tries my patience.  I need to count my blessings and try to enjoy the remaining time I have with her.

I bought 2 more pieces of JAI jewelry on clearance this morning (70% off sale).  Good prices, but I know that I'm buying too much.  I will need to go on a food and shopping diet after the holidays.  

I think I might go relax by watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.  I really am tired.  I think that dinner tonight will be BBQ pork strips, baked potatoes, and as-yet-to-be determined veggie.

Waves to all  ~  Charlene