Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 28)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day but temperatures are dropping toward the norm with some type of preciptaiton expected.

I have been going through some things I had in storage, many of which I hadd forgotten. I guess that means I can say good-bye to them. The problem is that I am a "keeper." After all, I might have some need of it someday. That is an outlook that I am trying to change. After all, it can be purchased again or really  has no use, the money spent on it is not a factor to consider. Do I love it and do I use it? Those are the questions to be answered.

I took a break to go through my travel documents. It had been some time since I had used my passport. In the process, I discovered that it had expired. I guess I will go tomorrow and renew it while thinking of it just in case I have need of it quickly. I don't anticipate a quick need but prefer to take care of it while thinking of it.

I'm avoiding temptation by not watching QVC. I went with a friend yesterday to the city and while she spent time in WalMart, I spent time in the car. I didn't have a list of anything I needed so I decided there was no need to go in and be tempted by anything they might have.

I'm taking a coffee break right now, but I will return to the "collecttibles." After all, I have time off to do something with it; I just need to remain focused on it. I also need to do a half hour of my home-based PT exercises plus time on the mini-cycle.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 28)

Image result for shopaholic tips for december word images

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thanks for the great graphic!! I can't wait to see what you choose for New Years Resolutions.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

IMG_2821.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Butterfly--A beautiful graphic! A picture can equal a 1000 words; very expressive!

This is a good article on shopaholics:

http://www.livescience.com/2338-truth-shopaholics.html

I think the Q would prefer that we be educated shoppers who take time to consider the item rather than buy impulsively and then possibly return the items. I know that I have read of "the letter" sent to those who return too many items. Most of the things I buy on the Q are debated now before I click the purchase button. Some things I have returned but only because of a fit or didn't live up to the description..

Honored Contributor

Hello all, the sun was out here too and it was a welcome sight after all the clouds and rain. 

I bought 2 of those crazy looking TSV shovels before the holiday.  They should be on my front porch when I get home from work tonight.  I don't expect a miracle - anything that can take some of the stress off my lower back when shoveling lighter snow will be welcome.  One of the shovels is for my middle sister Mary. 

I cracked and ordered the Camuto boots in English Taupe before the holiday - really good price at HSN and those should also be on the porch when I get home.

One thing I can say about the boots - I wear boots exclusively from the October through April (unless it really gets warm and I'll look stupid).  I certainly reduce the price per wear.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - I've been reading our threads this week, but have been a bit busy to respond.  It sounds as if everyone had a pleasant Christmas, and I'm happy for that.  Jean - glad to hear that your therapy is done for now.  Good work with the decluttering and getting your passport renewed.  Bernie - hope you enjoy your new boots.  meallen - a very appropriate graphic for our thread.  

With only 3 days left in 2016, I can say that so far, I have spent less than I did last year on clothes, and on "luxury" items.  That was my simple goal at the beginning of the year.  I'll share the exact % after the new year when I tally things up.

If anyone wants inspiration to reduce shopping and increase decluttering, a new season of "Hoarders" is starting up on T.V.  They've been playing reruns and the new episodes will start after the new year.  

My DH was gracious enough yesterday to take some returns to the mailing store on my behalf.  I was thinking "tough" on myself about how often I would wear a couple of things.  There was a Denim & Co plaid poncho, for example, that I liked, but I think I would only wear it once or twice a year, so I chose to return it rather than have it take up so much space in the closet.  There was also an "as is" 14K bracelet that I ordered for my daughter.  I'd estimate that 90% of the "as-is" items I order are in great shape, but the bracelet had sharp points on it, so it got returned.  You get the idea...

Christmas went really well. I enjoyed the company of my extended family and we were able to keep my Mom from doing much.  Since then, I've been mostly resting and watching Christmas movies that have filled up my DVR.  Last night my kids and I played cards and board games.  It was fun!  

Hope you will all have a blessed day ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Shopaholics.  I just popped in to thank meallen for posting this graphic because I learned a new word...oniomania (bottom right), which means "an obsessive or uncontrollable urge to buy things!"  I struggle with bouts of oniomania LOL!  Have a great day, ladies!

Image result for shopaholic tips for december word images

@meallen616

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I'm sure that you will get your money's worth out of the boots. I confess to buying my share this year of one style that really fit well as I have a problem finding boots that really work for me. I also hope that you don't have to use the shovel. I have an electric snow blower that I bought a few years ago.

Charlene--You are using good judgement in sending the items back. I can remember when I would keep something because I wasn't totally satisfied but thought the item would grow on me. After all, others raved about it which led to my purchase. It just wasn't me. Now, if it doesn't grab me out of the package, it goes back.

I did a huge load of laundry this afternoon and then relaxed by starting a new book. I am already booked to work 3 days of the first week back to school and 4 days the following week. I also booked a hair appointment for Friday the 13th. Am I pushing my luck?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I'll need to look at that link later.  Funny thing -- I just had my passport photos taken this morning.  Mine is still okay, but I read that quite a few extra people got passports in 2007 (maybe because of changes in policy about going to Mexico and Canada, but I don't know).  And, they suggested you get your application in early.  I printed out the application a few days ago, so now I only need to fill in the blanks and write the check.

Happy to say that DH was doing better yesterday and this morning.  No bruises or anything from his fall, and he is able to do some walking, not a lot, but......  Also, he is not talking as much and making more sense.

I had an appointment to have my brake light replaced this morning, and it has been busy ever since then.  I have 529 college accounts (not much money, but some) for the three in college, and I needed to get some money for their spring semester.  And, I called a handyman to replace the light bulbs in the kitchen and install the new shower head I purchased.  He should be here early tomorrow morning.

After I visited DH and fed him lunch. I went up to COSTCO, where I purchased a new cell phone.  I also signed up for a new plan -- no contract, and slightly less expensive than my current (Verizon) plan.  My old phone was still working, but didn't keep a charge well, which I think is not a good sign for cell phones.  I did pick up a few other things, but emphasis on the few.  No fun stuff.  Good for you Jean and Charlene about not keeping things you don't love from the start, and spending less this year.  I'm hoping that my buying the phone will stiffen my resolve not to purchase the TSV despite loving it.  Not a need for sure.

I need to go back to visit DH and feed him dinner.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda