Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 23)

Greetings, shopping friends. I went to the city yesterday despite the doctor's office canceling the appointment and rescheduling it to February. I knew with the bad weather coming, I shoud get my nails done and also have a Christmas lunch with a friend.

On the way, I stopped at the Post Office and picked up the last of my packages. I wasn't overly concerned about getting them on time as they were destined for my use. It was nice to know that they did meet the Christmas delivery deadline.

It is just me for the holidays now so I will be hibernating and looking forward to better weather as we are expecting a significant snowfall for us. We haven't had a white Christmas for ten years. I am not one of those who enjoys it.

Our Covid infection rate is on the increase, so that is additional emphasis on the need to stay put and not take unneccesary changes. Our governor will speak again today. When this first started, he began announcing the deaths at the beginning of the broadcast and has continued to announce the new ones despite the increasing number between broadcasts. He does not give the names, but does give the sex, age and county of the person.

As of yesterday, since the beginning of the outbreak, we have had 1194 deaths. We have received 60,875 doses of the vaccine with  18,488 doses administered.

If you shop, shop wisely. If you venture out, do so safely. Have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday in the best way possible!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC. 23)

Hi Everyone!

The snow is melting and the it is icy in some areas of the patio. UGH!!!  We are forecasted for a white Christmas but I'll believe that when I see it. Our winters have been too mild for the last few years. 

I have been dropping items of my "to do list" because I'm running out of time and energy. I did get bills paid and lists checked and some paperwork handled from the range, etc. I had hoped to start wrapping or cleaning but ran short on time and energy. (That pacing yourself is still a work in project for me. LOL) 

Today I am going to wrap gifts first and start the cleaning. I'll clean some tomorrow in between making lasagne (x2) .I decided not to go to the grocery store today for a few things. I'll just work with what I have in the refrig and freezer. I know those lines are going to be long so I want to avoid that and crowds.

I have been treating myself and watching more of the Q in the morning as I feed the dogs and drink coffee. I was curious with the clearance pricing  what they were offering. I have been sorthing thru some of my clothes as they end up in the hamper and tossing some of the really old things in the trash. I seem to get in a rut with reaching for the same tops, etc. instread of rotating thru the closet. I'm trying to be more aware of that and fix it.  Of course, that got me started with the towel drawers all over the house. LOL I don't know how to explain that sorting tops led to towels but this is how my train goes off the track in this house. I figure in the end it will all be done and in order and that's the goal. I just take a lot of side roads getting there.

We ordered dinner from Wahlburgers last night. I love their salads and burgers. Only pick up food in our state. No indoor dining. We try to support a fw places each week with a lunch or pizza and one dinner. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you got out yesterday for your Christmas lunch and have your nails done.  It s just me for the holidays, and not due to the weather.  This year, it seems like many will be in the same position due to travel and virus restrictions.  I do hope to have a video call with DD and some of the family on Christmas, but no in-person visits, lunches, dinners, etc.

Hope you don't have any problems with the weather, Jean.  Nice that you don't need to get out for a while.  It is a shame your doctor was so busy, but maybe the virus outbreak will be diminished somewhat by February.  

Hi Fressa.  I think you made a good decision about not shopping when things are likely to be so busy.  I bet your lasagna will be delicious.  As much as I love cooking, particularly Italian food, I have only made lasagna a few times.  I may consider ordering take-out from a local restaurant again before 2020 ends.  I think you can still dine indoors, but I am not willing to take that sort of risk since I would be eating alone whether at a restaurant or at home.  Good luck with all your cleaning.

My handyman showed up at 8:00 a.m. or so, and it took him a while to install the new ceiling fan/light in the living room, and the new dryer vent in the "storage closet".  I am quite pleased with both, but it cost $30 more than I anticipated.  Oh well.....  He and his wife are leaving later today to visit their daughter in the service (stationed in Nevada), and he told me he had another four jobs today.  And, he had received more than ten phone messages and four texts last night, and another five today.  

I have seen a few clearance items (like a plaid Linea blazer) that are calling my name, but I have not answered so far.  I have so many nice clothes, and haven't been wearing them most of the year.  I will probably try to go to the grocery store in a little while, but if it is way crowded, I will follow Fressa's example.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Like you, I like many of the clothes offered but do I need them when I am already well supplied. Clothes on sale can be a great buy but not if rarely worn. You have a great selection, and I know you use your judgement in determining what should be purchased.

Fressa--That lasagna will be fabulous. It is a good idea to avoid the lines at the supermarket. We have indoor dining but the capacity is very limited and the seating far apart in the better restaurants. Many of the fast food are still drive through only. 

I just checked Amazon as I was curious as to how many orders I had placed in this year, as they easily provide that statistic: 75. As far as the Q is concerned, I would have to go to the order status and count orders which I am in no mood to do now. If I were to do a resolution, it would be to do better on my item choosing with the Q as this year, I feel like I have had to return more than   usual.

We have a winter storm alert out beginning tomorrow evening, with 6 inches of snow predicted. Last year, our snow just involved a dusting to an inch in my area. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

This morning I got up and made it a point to put on Murder She Wrote (COZI tv) instead of the morning news shows.  I'm not a mooody person - I get up with a greatful heart every day.

I was heating up water for my instant coffee and had just put  a pair of unfrosted strawberry poptarts down for their second baking in the toaster when a wave of melancholy washed over me.  This was around 9 am, I was looking outside through the kitchen window at the sunny backyard. 

You know how you feel so sad or heavy hearted that you wish you could cry but you can't?  Man, it hung with me the rest of the morning and was still bugging me when I made a quick trip to the grocery store for some bread and spinach dip.

I think I hit the wall with all of the suffering, hunger, poverty, threat of homelessness that is occurring in a country I no longer recognize.  My heart was just so heavy.  Every time I defaulted logically and spiritually to a place a gratitude for my abundant blessing and favor, it drove home acutely to me the suffering of others.  I've been donating to local food pantries and food banks ($$) and trying so hard to pay it forward.  I think it just overwhelmed me today.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise