Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC.22)

You lived with lots of dogs in your life Linda @LindaLatte   I grew up primarily with cats.  Okay I had a goldfish, we had a rabbit Marty and my eldest sister had a couple of small turtles which of course Ma took care of.

My Ma got her dog Benji when I was graduating from 8th grade.  After Grandma's dog Snoopy died she was bereft.  Instead of letting her work through her grief my uncle Robert's fried decided to gift her a puppy.  She didn't want the dog and she was not cruel to the dog - there was just no love there.  By then my uncle Robert had full blown MS and was confined to a wheelchair.  Imagine getting a puppy that wanted to be underfoot a wheelchair.  Uncle Robert would swat at the dog with a rolled up sales circular to keep him from getting crushed by the wheelchair.

Finally my grandma was at the end of her rope and told my Dad, take the dog to the shelter.  I remember it was a Sunday and the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew mystery was on ABC (I was a Shaun Cassidy fan) and Dad walked in with Spottie.  The dog was a nervous wreck, Ma wasn't thrilled and I said, I'll take him as mine.  Poor thing didn't know how to walk down stairs with any confidence. 

I think that's when it began for me - taking on the damaged, broken or discarded.  Spottie lived to be 15 1/2 years old, not bad for a dog diagnosed with a heart murmur at age 8.  I loved him so that even though I had experience being there when it came time to give them back to God, I lost consciousness after his last breath and awoke on the floor with the veterinarian crying her eyes out over me. 

My bird phase of life started while my dog Max was still alive.  He joined my husband in heaven in 2008 and there are times I miss having a dog or cat.  I didn't go looking for any of my dogs or birds - they find me so I understand if and when it's time for me to get a cat or dog, God will send it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

You had a big day last Saturday and deserve the rest Glenda @twinny70  Isn't that something about having to hunt for canned mandarin oranges.  My sister mentioned last month that maraschino cherries were costing an arm and a leg.  I told her don't pay THAT, I have an unopened jar with a great expiration date, take mine because I doubt I will be using them any time soon.  

Yea the first year is going to be the hardest for your best friend and the first go round of season's changing and holidays is extremely painful.  She's blessed to have you Glenda.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful news about Taven.  She's young and wants to get at it but she needs to take is easy for at least a month.

Honored Contributor

Just got back from Marshall's where there was a lot of Patricia Nash, and at great prices.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing @Pearlee , it's good to know some good deals are to be had on Patricia Nash bags.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I went off on an animal tangent and forgot to thank you for sharing the encouraging news about Bev's surgery.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Thanks for sharing @Pearlee , it's good to know some good deals are to be had on Patricia Nash bags.

@Bird mama  You are welcome. I even saw the mums print in person. There was an impressive selection today, the best since selections were sparse there and at TJM after the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

Yea during the pandemic TJs, Marshalls and Burlington have looked a little sketchy.  @Pearlee 

Respected Contributor

Linda Latte: happy to hear Bev is doing well. Yes prayer is powerful.

Without going into detail when my DH passed his beloved dog Fredlldie was asleep. He passed early morning hours. I went to make the proper call and returned to find Freddie laying on him..I saw the look in his eyes when I picked him up. He grieved so it was heartbreaking . For weeks he would come to bedroom door and peek around. I finally got him to return. He would sit in the corner and howl.

Yes animals do grieve. I am sure Claudia's crew are grieving and missing her terribly.
Respected Contributor

To add: my DH had a long battle with cancer.
Honored Contributor

@kittyfan   Max was my dog for years before I met my husband.  After my husband passed away, Max would stand by the door that led from the kitchen to the attached garage daily waiting for my husband to come home.  We're talking from the time my husband died at the beginning of 2007 until Max died fall of 2008.  The only thing that kept me upright and gave me comfort the day I gave Max back to God was that I finally didn't have to explain where Daddy was, Max was with him.