Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC.22)

Hi Everyone!

It's cold, windy and partly cloudy. I could do without the wind. I was impressed with the neighbor's blow up Holiday display. Santa and Frosty are really staked into the ground. My front porch rugs were looking like they were going to take off a few times. 

LindaLatte---I hope Bev's surgery goes well. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Fingers corssed for your eye test results. It seems like time drags when you're waiting for the results. 

I wear the N95 masks all the time because of my breathing and allergy issues. I have both types. I did notice that for me I can only keep them on for about 90 minutes before it starts to effect my breathing,. I'm always the extreme or odd case  but just thought I would mention it for anyone else that might ve in the same situation.

ChessieLady--Our dogs name are Ada & Thor. When we got them they all had "A" names. I named the male and my hubby the female. He liked the "older" name so we kept it. I wanted another big male GS before I got too old for the "puppy" training. Two at once at 50 was the "now or never" mark. They sure have the life. LOL

Birdmama---I think we are similar with our approaches to repairs or replacements with large $ for our homes. I'm always asking questions and checking on the install so I know what's up if/when something stops working. I talked to the DIL last night and boiler and (3)baseboard heaters are installed as well as heat to the water tank.They only replaced the radiators that were broken. It sounds like it's some type of "smart" system which gave me a "chill". There were 4 guys for the install but they need to return with more guys to carry out the old cast iron parts. Last time she mentioned $ it was $12,200-$15,000. There's a warranty but she hasn't read it yet. 

I grew up with the radiator heat and lived in a few homes with them. This city has many homes with that style. Now I have the baseboard heaters which I love. Crossing my fingers that no one touches any dial. I have enough issues with the thermostat in our home. My hubby (who is the tech guy) won't touch it. Gotta love progress!!!!

Today I am going to start wrapping gifts. I sure hope I can get to the store tomorrow. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, DEC.22)

Good afternoon..it is another "warm " day for us..30 degrees. I remember many years ago, going to midnight mass in -25  weather. Brrr 

Frssa..I think your dogs are German shepherds. Pleaseorrect me if I am wrong. We are currently at my dds house and my dgd has a toy mini schnauzer named Pepper. She is one little ball of energy. She has spent time with us in Az when Sydnie was in LA.

Glad your dil got the furnace /boiler completed. Everything is sooooo expensive. Hank goodness we Ave a well funded retirement

Linda...hope Bevs surgery went well . 

Birdmama..your stories are always entertaining. Our talents amaze me. I am pretty good at fiber arts, but have no clue how to use any tool. Sydnie, on the other hand got a llmtool kit when she was 10 and she can do a lot of things

Chessielady..I love your dog stories also

Jean, hope your day is going well.

enjoyl🌲🌲🌲🌵🧑🏼‍🎄🧑🏼‍🎄

Honored Contributor

Fressa @Fressa   It sounds like maybe the furnace replacement wasn't as horrific as originally anticipated.  On the bright side, it sounds like this was a one and done thing getting rid of the boiler.  Replacing any radiators in the future should be less financially painful.  I was adamant about my replacement furnace being obedient and dumb Woman Wink  I didn't even want a smart thermostat.  I finished wrapping gifts about 15 minutes ago.  All that's left is for me to add bows.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My paternal grandmother had a schnauzer named Snoopy when I was a little girl Barbara.  Snoopy's chair was the accent chair that matched grandma's sofa and when my aunts, uncles and their kids came over and sat in that chair, grandma would immediately advise them that they were sitting in Snoopy's chair.  Grandma's facial expression said the rest which was - get your behind out of my dog's chair.  Good memories Heart

I'm not creative in a crafty or artistic way Barbara.  I've gotten creative in relation to fixing something but I don't have the talent to make something pretty.  I could probably latch hook something (he he) if the pattern was spelled out for me but I don't know how to crochet or knit or embroider.  My maternal grandma would pull out her hoop and embroider the prettiest designs on pillow cases or scarves for tables/dressers.

Super Contributor

This morning it was a nice 23 degrees. It is sunny and little wind. A neighbor gave us a big basket of fruit for the holidays. It had all the usual pears, apples, oranges etc. It also had kumquats. I have never had them before. So I peeled one and tasted. WOW was it tart. I can not imagine eating them so out they went.

I love your dog's names Fressa. My dogs are Harold (Godwinson) and Leroy Jethro. I had both pups at the same time. I would always tell people don't get 2 pups at the same time. They will be way to much work and you just won't have time to properly train them. But I just knew I could handle it ! At least I thought so ! Boy was that one tough first year ! We made it but I was one busy woman. All I seemed to be doing was dog....AM to PM.  Now they are fine gentlemen but it was rough !

I finally finished raking and bagging the leaves. The leaves just did not want to fall off the trees this year. The mower has been tuned and sharpened and put away for the year.

Now we have the snow blower in it's place ! I do hope we don't have a lot of snow and certainly NO ice.

I have to make one more trip to the grocery store then I will be set until next week. All will be pretty quiet here but that will be fine with us. Some tasty food and a few good movies to watch maybe church late Friday night. The kids will all be calling on Saturday...it will be good to get caught up again !  Rest well everyone !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Glad the wind didn't do any real damage.  Your neighbors must have done a great job securing their decorations.

Before I go further, I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers for Bev.  Her surgery was done this morning, and she seems to be doing quite well.  She mentioned prayer as being such a help.  She has not seen the doctor since before the surgery, and thinks it may be tomorrow before she does.  In any case, I am so relieved and thankful. 

I have not had any pets for more than 10 years, but I had small dogs for several years.  Growing up, we had a wild cocker spaniel.  When DD was a teenager, we "inherited" a dachshund who had been thoroughly spoiled by her previous "Mom" -- my ex's Aunt.  I was crazy for Heidi.  

After a few years, a lady at work wanted to find a home for her brother's dachshund (regular size) once her brother passed.  She could not handle a dog.  So, I ended up bringing home Siena who was a handful.  Heidi passed away, and then my DD could not handle one of her two dogs along with a new baby, so Mario the Pomeranian came to live with us.  Next, my Mom passed away, and Scrappy (combination beagle and mut) came to live with us.  It was extremely difficult having three dogs.  Then, we lost Scrappy and Siena, so only little Mario was left.  

DH didn't like dogs, so Mario wasn't replaced.  I have considered adopting a dog, but have not done so yet.  I do enjoy the dog, cat, and bird stories, and really hope Claudia's dogs and cats are doing okay.  

Glad your families heat problem seems to be solved, Fressa.  And hope there are no problems.

Waves to Barbara, Bernie, chessielady, Jean, Glenda, Kathleen, LindaR., and all of our posters and readers. 

I am waiting for a Walmart pick-up to be ready, and I have a few hospice things to do.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Walmart just texted that my order will be late.  Hopefully not too late.  

Super Contributor

@LindaLatte  I worry about Claudia's cats and Tippy and Griff. I know they must really be grieving. When I think about it it really makes me so sad.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been reading, but haven't had time to post.

Our Christmas lunch last Saturday was so nice and I thought this would be a rest up week.  Lol   I had to go to several grocery stores to find cans of Mandarin oranges.  They were twice what I usually pay.

My bf whom lost her dh in May, spent the afternoon with us yesterday.  It's a sad time for her & we are both looking forward to NYE.

Update on my great niece.  She was finally dismissed  last night after 9 stressful days in the hospital.  She needed home health care, but there is none in their area, so her parents & a very good friend RN will be helping her with an IV and antibiotics for the next 18 days.  Then she is hoping to be able to go back to her apt. & resume college.  Thanks for all of your prayers and nice words.

Tomorrow, we are going to see our eldest dgs and exchange gifts with him. He missed our family Christmas lunch studying for a final exam on Sunday.

We have been to the gym 3 days this week.  My dh walks every day, but I don't.

Dinner is leftovers in the crock pot.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

@LindaLatte  I worry about Claudia's cats and Tippy and Griff. I know they must really be grieving. When I think about it it really makes me so sad.

I do too as Claudia was such a great caretaker and they must wonder where she is.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

@chessielady   I don't think I've ever had a piece of kumquat.  Thanks for the heads up.  Leroy Jethro - sounds like an NCIS or Mark Harmon fans lives in your house Woman Wink