Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS; ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day. i was up bright and early to put the trash out by 6am. Waste Management will love me as I maxed out the number of bags permitted to put out.

I then checked my cards on lie and saw that a couple of utilities had posted, so I immediately went and posted these expenditures in my online budget tracker. It isn't the big expenses we forget but the little expenditures that we forget but which really add up....a coffee from the drive thru, etc.

This gives information on 10 ways to cut spending without feeling deprived:

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/slideshows/10-ways-to-cut-your-spending-this-week

Rumor has it that there is a Fall Fashion Day coming up on Friday. I remember how I used to look forward to this event and would buy several things for Fall. Now, I might buy one or two things but most of my buying is done when I need something or the want is so strong that it overcomes my reluctance to part with the money. Part of it has to do with how I'm feeling at the time. If tired and emotionally susceptible, I might find myself falling to the lure of the sales pitch.

Right now, I have LizClaiborne on, but I have yet to purchase anything from this line from the Q. A better thing to do would be to inventory what I have for Fall/Winter that will still serve me well...and I know there are several things. I just need to remind myself of that and limit the purchase.

Oh my, I just heard Pat use the expression, "price per wear." Change that to "cost per use" and it can be applied to any item being consifered for purchase. I was looking at a online yardsale on Facebook where I saw many items being offered that were used just once or not used at all. Then there were items pictured that were overpriced for the condition they were in.

I am sleepy and may just goof off today for a period of time but I will commit myself to an hour of decluttering.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time.

Don'ttoleratesmall.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS; ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5)

On the link I provided, I liked the summary given at the end:

Consider turning these immediate changes into long-term habits to keep your overall spending low. “Don’t say no to everything because you are much more likely to give up if that happens,” Favreau says. “Frugal living isn’t about waiting for things, it is about spending less on the things that don’t matter to you as much so you can spend more money and time on the things that do matter.”

We set our prioritites for use of our money but we also permit a little flexibility.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning Jean! and all my friends who follow.  I hope Arlene is doing well.  I posted an article on FB from my minimalism guy that I follow. I have just been evaluating where I am with "stuff" and clutter and while there is always room for improvement I feel like I am in a place where I am satisfied with what I have. Not knowing what is in our future and knowing the nest will be empty has been freeing. Of course a part of me is very sad but the other stronger part of me is so very happy for DD's. I am starting to get excited for my future too, which is a change.

I still look at my store every few days and look for tops to buy, but I spend so much time online now (here at work and at home helping DH with his job hunt) that I don't have much patience to actually shop or do much else.

Last night DH made a new fish called "Basa" that was a taster at our local store and it was so delicious!  I am so glad for a healthy new meal to eat now and then.  I need to add more different things to the mix because we are quite tired of food.

Valued Contributor

Good morning!

Kona I loved the article, I practice most of them, but could do better.

Not too much going on here, tonight Mark and I are having dinner with his daughter and her DH.  She just started a new job on Monday and he is taking them out to celebrate.

This month I am sticking to necessities, I want to have some "fun" money for the beach in September.

I hope that everyone is well and having a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

Just lost my post. JEAN, It is beautiful here today again with high's in the upper 70's. It is good that you could get so much trash out. We have bins & put one out one week for garbage & the next we put two out one for trash & one for recycling. RC, How nice to be empty nesters & know that your DD's are doing what they want to in life. We became empty nesters in 1991. It took my DH a full year to get over our DD being off to college & having to eat supper by himself as I was working 2nd shift. It is a joyous time for us, but it definitely takes time to get used to it. ROSA, how nice to celebrate tonight with Mark & his DD & her DH. Getting a new job is certainly reason to celebrate. We went to Shopko this morning to get a few necessities. It was Senior Citizen Day so we did save a little. My goal for today is to clean out the linen closet in my bathroom. Way too many sheets for just the two of us. Then I need to head to my closet to clean out some of my shoes. i never wear them out as I don't walk as much as most people & I have way too many to choose from. It's a good thing we have closet doors so they aren't seen by anyone but me. I am loving these 70's temps. HUGS to all of you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kathleen--When the future is indefinite, it pays to be more conservative in our spending habits. You have a new job and DH is looking for a new one, and DD will soon leave for her assignment. It is a time of change, and when we are facing changes, we need to watch what we are doing. We don't cut out completely but we do prioritize where the money goes while reserving some for the things we like to do but perhaps can be done on a smaller scale.

Rosa--Cutting back is a great way to save money for a vacation and great memories. Like you, I practice many of those suggestions but it pays to be reminded that we are on the right track. Enjoy the dinner with Mark and his DD.

Twinny--I have a good selection of shoes also. I know I  have leather boots I purchased last year on sale which have not been worn as the others I had were good and I wanted the new ones for this year's use but bought when on sale. They are like the ones I had but I liked them so well that I was afraid they would not be available if I waited until this Fall. Enjoy the 70s as that is a great temperature.

One of the suggestions to help resist buying was to eliminate email sales promotions. I just received one from the Q reminding me that I had considered an item which was still available...and on easy pay. Amazon is very good at these reminders also.

Respected Contributor

One thing that makes me happy is that all this has happened naturally.  I don't feel like I overspend anymore, and haven't felt "like a shopaholic" in a few years.  I remember the first year that I posted here, and everything was a temptation and I spent a lot of money.  Some was well spent, and then a lot of it was not.

Rosa, will you be hitting the shops at the beach?  Enjoy your outing tonight.

Twinny, DH is so happy when I come home after work, but he is also accomplishing a lot at home, routine chores that have not been done in a while. Tomorrow he will be power washing the house.

Respected Contributor

Twinny I had to laugh about the closet doors.  I got rid of several shoes I never wear, and wore a couple more out, and some pretty flats would be nice for work at this point.  I need to keep my eyes open for some new ones.

Valued Contributor

Rock Chick,I am thinking there may be a new Coach bag at the outlet with my name on it!

Respected Contributor

Jean, I love your shopping posts. What works well for me is the cash only thing. I do not carry very much actual cash, but purchase using my debit card. That is easy for me to track daily. After purging my closets I am going to try and shop my closet rather than purchase new. The only upcoming expenses are our Hawaii trip and some school clothes for Sydnie.,I usually get her a couple of new things. She has not grown very much this summer so I think most of her things will still fit. I also send $to my 7 and 9 yearl old dgds for school. The others are too young for school.

Rc, glad that you like your new job. Your dad will love her new post..my brother was an Annapolis graduate and served there for 5 years. Good luck on dhs job hunt.

twinny...our weather has been spectacular. I have spent a lot of time purging and reorganizing this house.  Our home in az is pretty minimalist by choice.

rosa, enjoy your dinner. 

Where is Arlene???

((((((hugs to all))))