Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 12/31)

Good morning, shopping friends. We are in the last day of the calendar year with the New Year soon to greet us.

As I end this year, I think of the "old me" compared to the "new me." At one time, I was drawn to the jewelry special value and would purchase if it called out to me. I remember when the TSV was such a secret that people waited up to see what the deal would be. I also remember TSVs sometimes selling out in the Midnight hour or other early hour. This created a sense of urgency to buy.

I used to joke about being on a "TSV auto sign up" program, but that was in the old days when TSVs were outstanding and when I had not acquired such a good selection of items. I have to admit that I like today's TSV. I have one pair of Bronzo earrings, and I really like them and they have worn well. In the good old days, those earrings would already have been ordered and on their way. Do I need them? No! Do I need the "latest" fashion TSV? No! I have learned to be more discriminating when Kathleen's "wanty" starts calling out to me.

I am off to the city today to get my nails done and to get groceries, especially items not carried locally. I will also fill up with gas as it is 30 cents on a gallon cheaper there. I would have done all this on Monday but didn't have the time. I also want to make sure I have supplies on hand should bad weather hit and eliminate the ease of getting out and about. I would rather stay put as the temperature is 17 right now but I can deal with that better than the dreaded snow that makes travel difficult.

I do have a Kohls coupon, so I might stop in and see if there is anything I can use. I haven't been in there since October. I like Kohls but I just didn't need anything to offset the temptation of 30% off, etc. coupons. Regardless of how much one saves with a coupon, the money spent is not a savings if it is not a cost effective purchase. I do, however, need to keep my Kohls card active so it won't be cancelled for lack of use. As a result, I may be looking for something that if it can't be used now can be something to be used in the future.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 12/31)

Good morning!

Kona sounds like a fun day ahead.

M & I will be cooking dinner at my house and watching the ball drop. Nothing too exciting.

Saturday a GF and I are going to Mexican for lunch and then going to some our favorite stores to check out the clearance sales. There is a consignment store here that has a new with tags Coach wristlet that I may get, if it is still there.

We are going to put away the Christimas decorations here at work, it will probably be slow.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Rosa--It sounds as if you have good plans ahead. Hopefully, the Coach wristlet will be at the consignment store. Have fun checking out the clearance sales.

Well, I'm ready to hit the road. Those infinity scarves are great to cover up the strap from the heart monitoring sensor gadget and wires.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Jean, as my eyes were scanning your post...I read it as "getting nails done and get gorgeous vs. groceries. Hey either way, still sounds good. I was in Kohl's this week, the crowds have calmed at least at the store here so if you go it should be easier shopping.

Rosa, I love Mexican food. I love to cook it but we found a nice restaurant about 5 miles from our home that he hit about once a month.

To all: Have a safe and Happy New year. We will be a home. It is cold and dreary so may watch some movies. Bought some champagne but we rarely make it up til midnight.

Gayle

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Have a good time in the city regardless of the temperature, although I certainly don't envy you going out when it is so cold. As you said, at least there is no precipitation today. I pre-ordered the TSV earrings, and DH gave them to me for a birthday gift (after I asked him if he wanted to do so and ordered them.) Anyway, I like them very much, but they were definitely a "want". Hope you find something at Kohl's to keep your card active.

Hi Rosa -- sounds like things are going pretty well for you, all things considered. I'm so happy you have a new friend. Enjoy the time with your gf at the sales and the Mexican lunch. Needless to say, Mexican restaurants are fairly plentiful here in southern Arizona. And, Mexico itself is only about 45 miles away. I finally made dental appointments with our Mexican dentist -- not until fairly late in January due to a lot of other appointments. We often stop for lunch at a nearby restaurant on that side of the border after our appointments.

Waves to Gayle -- enjoy the New Year's Eve at home. DH never makes it up until Midnight, but I usually try to do so. I have champagne purchased three years ago since we never seem to drink it. Maybe this year since DH's daughter and family will be here.

My plumber came by yesterday and did a lot of testing for leaks, drops in pressure, etc. We knew that the pipe on the outside was okay, but we were concerned about a possible leak indoors. After much checking, he determined that one of our toilets is running and the valve needs to be replaced. The toilets are old (probably the original 1972 version), so he will replace them with new, more water saving versions. He will be coming on Monday to replace the problem toilet, and he will come back another day to do the other (when he has some free time.) He is such a nice guy, and I'm lucky to have found him (neighbor recommendation.) Hopefully, this will be the end to our excessive water consumption.

I will be going to Curves fairly soon since they are closing at 1:00 today, and they will be closed both tomorrow and Friday. I also plan to go to the grocery store to get a few more things for our company.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Karen, birdmama, Meeras (I hope I have that right), and all of our posters and readers.

Have a safe and happy New Year's Eve!

Hugs,

Linda

Valued Contributor

Linda, we had to replace one of our toilets and we went with a comfort height toilet, it is taller and not so far down and love it. When the others need to be replaced that is the route I will go.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Have fun in the city getting your nails done & shopping. I remember once when I turned on the TV to see what the TSV was & it was sold out in the first 15 minutes. I never did find out what the "hot" item was. So much fun back then. Let us know what the magical price for gas was for you today. DH got it for $2.25 on Monday as we were returning home from the big city.

Rosa, Have fun cooking tonight with your friend. I am so happy for you. Also have fun at the Mexican restaurant & bargain hunting on Saturday.

Gayle, It is colder here too but nice & sunny. DH & I are just going to a local Italian restaurant tonight for dinner & ending our evening in the hot tub with a wine cooler.

LL, the TSV looks very nice, but I have lots of hoops as that is pretty much all I wear anymore. Glad the plumbing woes will soon be over with.

Today we are just relaxing around home. I will probably get a nap so I can stay up late tonight. Tomorrow the Christmas tree will come down.

Happy Healthy Safe New Year to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rosa -- we will be getting the higher toilets as well. Although neither of us has serious knee issues at this point, it seems to be a common problem as you get older. And, the plumber said the higher toilets don't cost any more than the lower ones. Win, win. LOL

I am back from Curves and a brief stop at the grocery store. Curves was okay, but the grocery store was so overcrowded.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It looks like a nice day out, although it's chilly - only in the 40s. I'm headed out to Publix in a little while as they have some items I need on a sale that ends today; I want to be home as early as possible, before the drunks hit the roads. Right now I have my comforter in the wash, as I woke up to find Svetlana had apparently found a rubber band somewhere, despite my being careful with them, chewed it up, and threw up on my bed. (sigh) It's always something with these kids...but I love them. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Jean, I remember when the TSV really was a special value, not just a couple of dollars off the regular price. QVC has changed a lot, and not for the better. I used to buy a lot from them, but it's not likely I will anymore - they no longer have good deals (often with extras thrown in) or unique items, and the S&H is ridiculous.

I found a real steal on Amazon last night - I didn't see that Earth Fare has my Zevia soda on sale and I'm low, so I looked on Amazon. My favorite flavor (ginger root beer) was only $11 a case, so I ordered four cases - that's about half price. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I looked for the purse my cousin sent me for Christmas on the Kohl's website; it's around $50 on sale, so I'm thinking I may return it. I like everything about it except for the leopard print - that is, it's nice, but not my style, and I'd hate to have it just sit in the closet unused. Maybe I'll just get a gift card for future use, for when I "need" to buy something new. I'm really, really disappointed that the Vera Bradly purse I wanted was sold out; I've been looking at that print and loving it since it came out. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Rosa, seems like things are going very well for you.

My downstairs bathroom has one of those higher toilets, and it's wonderful, what with my bad knee. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I'd definitely recommend getting one - it makes a big difference, especially as you get older and go more often.

I guess I'd better get moving - have a blessed evening and a Happy New Year, everyone! If you go out, please be very, very careful - not only don't drink and drive, but watch out for drunks.

Esteemed Contributor

DH & I had a very nice dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant. We are early eaters & beat the latecomers. We didn't eat Italian tonight though. I had jumbo shrimp, soup, garlic bread & onion rings all for $10.99. DH had chicken strips, side salad, garlic bread & baked potato for $8.69. We also had a coupon for $7.00 off. Very nice owners too.

I had a nice nap this afternoon so I will be already for our 11:00 p.m. hot tub/wine cooler. It is cold outside today, but the water will feel wonderful. Then it will be bed time.

Tomorrow the Christmas tree will be coming down.