Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDESDAY, JANUARY 19th)

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope everyone has had a nice day.  It is sunny and 64 degrees here, which I think is great for January.

I texted with Bev this morning, and she hadn't seen a doctor yet.  She promised to let me know if something happened, so I guess it has not or she didn't have time.  She seemed a lot more perky after her transfusion, but I don't think that will last very long.

No word from Barbara yet.  I will be sure to let everyone know if I hear anything from either of them or Jean.  

My meeting with the new CPA went well. And, I feel comfortable with him doing my taxes.  I may go back to Turbo Tax next year, but it is sort of nice having someone to ask for advice/assistance.  He said that the State had still not gotten back to them about the audit they said they were doing on my 2017 taxes, but he doesn't think that they will require new information.  

I did an exercise DVD this morning, and the hospice mailings after meeting with the CPA.  Next up will be a walk, and then a trip to the Post Office to mail the letters.

Not at all exciting.  The homeowners association has decided to hold the annual meeting via Zoom again this year (due to COVID).  Thank goodness for Zoom and the internet.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.  Please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDESDAY, JANUARY 19th)

Hi Linda, thanks for getting us started today.  I just checked yesterday's thread and read the updates from Bev and Barbara.  When I was young (12 or 13) I went to a doctor about my anemia.  My regular doctor had retired and this new guy was someone that my eldest sister had seen.  He threatened me with iron shots and I'd swear B-12 shot if I didn't eat red meat 2x a day to build up my blood.

You guys know I don't like meat - I liked even less at 12 or 13.  For almost 6 weeks I choked down red meat 2x a day.  When he checked my blood after 6 weeks of fighting my gag reflux, there was no improvement in my anemia.

Now, that was anemia and red meat 2x a didn't work.  This is why I didn't think that Bev, already bleeding on a daily basis was going to see much improvement eating the red meat.  They need to stop the bleeding and I'm sorry she had to have another infusion but I'm grateful she got to the hospital in time to get an infusion.

I'm glad that Barbara had a better day and that your meeting with the new CPA went well.  It's important to feel comfortable with the person who will be submitting paperwork on your behalf to the IRS Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon from sunny, warm Az..it is 70 this afternoon. Some friends stopped over to visit and we are going to try to play bridge tomorrow.

we have settled into a routine and i dealing with this much better. Hospice is a godsend. The last 2 days have been pretty good.

my own issue is my continuing weight loss.  Am working on eating more. It has been a reason to do another closet purge. I am working on minimalizing my clothes..lol 

Linda, I pray for Bev every day. You are a bleeding to me.

Bernie , are you on Fb?  I would like to chat with you some way. 

thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. It means a lot to us.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi to all of you. I am late to the parade.  I had a nice long phone call with our neighbor across the street this morning.   She is in her mid 80's & always sends us the nicest Christmas & Anniversary cards.  Her husband is 83 years old and still does a lot of working putting in gas furnaces and A/C.  She has had a lot of knee problems, but went to a neighboring town to see the Dr.  Our local clinic said it was too dangerous to touch it.  This other Dr. said "no problem."  He drained it and she is a lot better.

Bird Mama, Yuck for what you had to gag down!  It's amazing at what we can remember when we are so young.

Linda L, it's great that you like your new accountant.  I dislike anything to do with getting our taxes prepared.  I have enough trouble getting our checkbook to balance.  I dread when the monthly statement is in the mailbox.  Prayers for Bev.

Barbara, it's so nice to see you posting on this forum again.  It's nice that you can get together with friends.  I enjoy a  get together with former co-workers and my bf from our HS years.   Sometimes a laugh or two & sometimes a tear and a hug. I have been praying for you and your dh.  

Prayers would be appreciated for Declan.  He is 5 months old and just went through some massive chemo treatments.  This week, he is getting radiation.  He has cancerous tumors on his face, head, back etc.  He is getting great care at the Univ.-WI Children's hospital, but it's been a very scary situation for his parents etc.  

I have enjoyed seeing the full moon this week.  Usually it's a cloudy day.    It's going to be very cold starting tomorrow, so I will be wearing boots, sherpa lined fleece D. & Co. coat when we get groceries tomorrow.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the background, Bernie.  I never had anemia, but both my Mom and daughter did.  Back in my Mom's time, they forced you to eat liver if you were anemic, and she hated it. In fact, she hated it so much, we never had liver at home.  I know some people love it, but not something I care to try.

I don't think they told DD to eat red meat, but they did put her on heavy doses of iron and other things.  Then, she had to take something to help with the adverse effects of the iron.  Not sure if she is still taking it or not.

Glad you posted, Barbara.  Hospice was a great help for me, and I am glad they are helping you.  Hope you are able to play bridge tomorrow, and please try to eat more.  I have a tendency to lose weight when I am stressed, and it is difficult to eat more. 

Hi Glenda.  Glad you had such a nice talk with your neighbor.  I will certainly pray for Declan.  What a rough time for him and his family.  I'm planning to do my grocery shopping tomorrow as well.

I saw on Facebook that Jean's blood pressure at the cardiologist was much better (closer to normal) than in the past.  Hope her visit went well.

Honored Contributor

Hey Barbara @sydsgma1  it is so good to see your post this evening.  How lovely that some friends stopped over for a visit.  It's good for you and for V to see people who are outside of the health care field Heart    

Speaking from my own experience it's really something else when you think you already have a cadence established for managing a loved one's health concerns/issues and then on a dime, I don't know if the word crisis really fits but it feels like a crisis when your loved one's care gets more complicated and there is no other way to say it all consuming. I am so glad that you are getting support from hospice. 

Some folks are emotional eaters and when they are stressed out they comfort themselves with food.  I'm the exact opposite.  It's not that I don't want to eat, I can't eat.  What I've learned over a few family health crises in the last 15 or so years is nibble and try to make it count.  Depending on your health status and dietary tolerances may I suggest protein shakes like Ensure Max.  Silk soy milk is good.  For years I drank the vanilla flavored Silk Soy and recently bought a half gallon of the regular (red carton) Silk Soy (they were out of the vanilla).  8 grams of protein in the Silk Soy regular - tastes good too. 

I created a FB account after Prince died to be able to mourn with fellow fans.  Since the pandemic hit I rarely sign in to FB. Is there a FB page for the Shopaholics?

Honored Contributor

Glenda @twinny70   After 6 weeks of red meat twice a day I told the doctor he was a quack and he could close my medical records out.  Ha ha ha ha.  When I came home I told my Ma there was no improvement and the guy was a 'freeway doctor' who prescribed diet pills (back then they were speed - not kidding) and that he was a quack and I said that I didn't want to go back.  I didn't have to go back and I ended up outgrowing the anemia.

I was a tall skinny kid - my Ma wouldn't let me go tobogganing because she was afraid I'd break a bone, lol.  I'm 59 years old and still here so......

Honored Contributor

Glenda @twinny70  I'll get the novena to the Infant of Prague going for Declan.  

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  thank you for sharing the good news about Jean's BP being closer to normal range.   My Ma cooked liver for my Dad - I can't remember if anyone else in the family ate it.  Faced with shots or liver as my only choices I would have gone with the shot. Woman Very Happy

I can't get beyond what it looks like.  Now that I think about it I avoid lots of food because of what it looks like, lol.  I remember the first time I had to make a boiled chicken when my dog Max was sick.  Usually I'd get my sister to do it for me.  It's not like it was a fresh chicken and I had to pluck it or anything.  I guess you call it a roasting chicken?  I don't know I usually bought skinless chicken brea**s to cook.  Anyway I had this chicken and my sister explained how I had to boil it in a stock pock and I cried the entire time.  I eventuall got better about not crying but that first time was rough.

In case anyone wonders - when my husband was alive I fed him very well.  He said I had a knack for picking out great cuts of meat and we had roasts, butterflied pork chops, burgers, etc.  I bought the meat and he cooked the meat.  Well, I did the turkey on Thanksgiving.  Don't get me started on the first time I had to reach up in the turkey and get that bag of stuff outta that bird.  My dad said the best turkey he ever ate was the one I prepared.  Yuck.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte---Prayers for Bev and Barbara.....and Jean.

It's good that you like your CPA.  I think it makes a difference with the taxes. Taxes always send me into a "spin" over charity deductions and what you can/cannot claim. I always tell Michael that I'd rather deduct less than be audited. (My ex was audited 5 times--what a nightmare) 

Snowy here again. YIPPEE!