Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1)

Linda L - thanks for starting the thread today.

I'm glad that your mammogram and bone density exam are behind you.  I had a bone density exam in 2013 and doubt I will get another one.  Mammograms I get annually.  It's great that you have interesting and fun things scheduled for yourself to help balance out your caregiving responsibilities.  100% caregiving leads to 100% burnout sooner or later.

Snicks -  The last time I pruned my really tall shrub on the side of my house I'm sure I looked a sight.  I was trying to wield the power trimmer while balancing one foot on the fence and the other on a ladder.  I still ended up bruised (lol).  My Ma had an old Maytag washer with wringer on it and we'd use it when her Kenmore would peter out.  Dad wasn't one to hurry up and call service for anything.  That old Maytag did a good job.  You just had to remember when you put the load in because the machine stopped agitating when you stopped it.  If you forgot about it, it might beat the towels and clothes to shreds.

Twinny - I already have hot and humid weather here that I am trying to shove down Jean's way.  It's supposed to be hot through the Labor Day weekend.  Please send yours north, they need it more than I do (lol).  Its' been a long time since I've eaten at Pizza Hut.  DH liked me to pick up fresh made breadsticks when I'd grab a pizza on the way home.  Not from just any Pizza Hut - our Pizza Hut.  It's funny, but I have one Arby's I'll go to, one Pizza Hut or Little Caesar that I will go to.  Sounds like next week will be a busy one for you.

Arlene - Sorry that your cats are giving you fits.   It's so nice what you do for servicemen and servicewomen.  I have Trader Joe's near me and never went into one (lol).

Kathleen - I'm glad that you had a nice day at the beach yesterday.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Jean, I'm glad that you had a good day at school.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

JEAN, It sounds like you had a good day. How nice to be able to teach at different schools. BIRD MAMA, I will certainly send the HOT weather up north. Our Pizza Hut is very good, but the surrounding ones are not good. The salad bar is very good as are the varieties of pizza that you can get. Years ago when our DS was going to college in IA, the first thing that he wanted when he was home on break was Badger Special from our Pizza Hut, as they didn't have that kind where he lived. That is still his favorite & he can't get it in the Boston area either. He is lucky to find Pizza Hut out there. I am so glad for A/C on days like this.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I may have mentioned my "classes" before, so I hope this isn't boring to those who already know.  I am a member of an "Osher Life Long Learning Institute" (OLLI) in my area.  Mr. Osher is an older gentleman, who strongly supports education, particularly for adults/seniors.  One story I heard was that he had some friends who were just sitting around in retirement and others who were busy going to school, and really saw the benefit of keeping your mind active.  Anyway, he gives money to many schools around the country (in my case the University of Arizona) who have programs for seniors (you need to be over 50, I believe).  The local OLLI is all-volunteer with the exception of one coordinator who is located at the main campus of the University.  And, I think every OLLI is different.  Some use professors from the university who give lectures, but ours does not.  We have "discussion groups" rather than "classes", but some are mostly lectures rather than discussions.  The "discussion group" leaders are sometimes former or current professors, others are experts in a particular field, or just someone particularly interested in a subject.  Most are excellent. There are no tests, no grades, and no college credits involved.

Anyway, my OLLI has three sessions -- Fall (mostly October and November), Spring (mostly February and March), and summer (June).  The classes can be eight weeks or less, depending on what the discussion leader wants.  Most are not exercise related, but I did start my "strong bones workout" in an OLLI "class" last June.  Some of the ladies have decided to continue it.

I picture everyone nodding off right now, but if you are old enough, and if you can find an OLLI in your area, I highly recommend joining.  Mine is not expensive ($140) for the entire year (unlimited classes), but some others are more or less expensive.  I took "adult education" classes in Maryland for many years, and the price was more than that for one class (like Italian, which I used to take.)

My undergraduate degree was in history, so I often take history-related classes.  We have a particularly good retired history professor, who I like a lot.  He also leads the British mystery writers class that I plan to take.  There is a WWI class of interest to me.  A friend of mine is leading a group discussing 1968 and all the things that went on then.  I would like to take that "class", but I'm not sure that it will work with my schedule.

There are many groups of interest -- some where you read and discuss a book, ones about opera and other music, literature, scientific subjects (astronomy, etc.), gardening, religious/ethical subjects (like the the foundation of Judaism), current events, movie viewing and discussion classes, etc.  If you aren't careful, you can overbook yourself.  LOL

I definitely need something else to do besides caregiving.  I try to do a good job with DH, but it can be very tiring and depressing.

Speaking of which, a new lady came to the senior lunch program today -- quite late.  It turned out that she had been seeing a counselor nearby for her depression, and decided to come for lunch.  I'm very glad she did, since she apparently doesn't eat much, and I think it is good for her to get out with other people.  She said she will be there next Tuesday, and I hope she does follow through.  I hate the idea of someone sitting alone, feeling depressed, and not eating.

Yes, Kathleen -- DH went with me. and he was pretty bored waiting for me to get out of those tests.  Glad you had such a good time yesterday at the beach.

Happy work went well for you, Jean.  I understand that some of those Title 1 classes can be a challenge.  Good that you are able to handle them.

I guess I should start thinking about dinner.  

Sleep well everyone!

Honored Contributor

LL, thanks for responding re: classes. You are very smart to keep not only your strong bones/exercise going, but keeping your mind active as well. It is very important as we age and also as another avenue of thought other than your caregiving duties. Good for you!!
"To each their own, in all things".