Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, NOV. 6)

Good morning, shopping friends.It is a very rainy day so my trip to the city has been postponed once again. I just don't fwwl like dealing with the crooked roads, the rain, and navigating store aisles in search of desired groceries and other items.

I am one of those individuals whose mood is affected by nasty weather, so I can't wait for sunshine, Sring and Summer. My biological time clock is still operating on Daylight Savings Time so I was once again up at 4:45am despite staying up super late. I guess this week will be five hours of sleep instead of the 6 to 7 hours I normally get.

I got an email that my First Aid auto delivery will ship in a week. This was a great buy last year so it was easy to keep. I think it was called "Home and Away," and contained two large jars of First Aid cream and two tubes for travel. I really like this product, and have a huinch there will be another TSV on it coming soon. I have checked the prices at Sephora and Ulta and have found the QVC pricess on its TSV to be winners.

Since I'm not going to the city, I need to get into more things and see what can be done with them. I just have too much clothing, kitchen utensils, etc. At the same time, it is just easy to sit and relax and avoid Winter.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, NOV. 6)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat

We are having some sprinkling rain and blustry winds.  I was excited for a couple of minutes when the sun came out.  That was then, lol.  I'll turn a few lamps back on - don't like my birds being in the dark and gloom.

Thanks to a text from my niece yesterday correcting the address for a surprise birthday party, I was reminded that the date is this Sunday and not the following Saturday, like I thought.

Once I vote, I will head over to hallmark and pick up a nice birthday card, plus 3 money cards for the great nieces for Christmas.  I have a coupon to buy 3 cards and get 1 free.  Going into a hallmark can be dangerous for me because they have such pretty things.  I will try to restrain myself.

I then need to pop over to a Macy's and pick up a gift card.  The birthday girl (eldest niece's mother in law) loves Macy's. I'm less likely to browse Macy's so that should be a quick visit. 

After that I need to swing by my local Borics and see if my hairdresser is working today - I need a cut in the worst way.

That should do it for today, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is good that you got the date corrected. Nothing like missing an important celebration. You have your day well-scheduled.  Turning the lights on when it gets too dark is a good idea but I am watching that right now as the electric company has announced what appears to be an average rate increase of $15 a month.

I'm one of those who loves to read test results. The cardiology practice I use has been bought out by  a super power medical conglomerate in our state. As a result, they had to change the patient portal. That is all well and good but on the new portal, the test results are posted in clinical detail. Naturally, I spotted something and want to know how that compares to the past.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you are having nasty weather.  For sure you would love to have our weather instead -- sunny with predicted highs around 80 degrees and lows in the upper 40's.  It was cool this morning on my walk, but not as cool as recently.  They are predicting cooler weather later in the week, but still very nice.

I did not sleep well either, but do not have the time change to blame.  I get to sleep quickly, but then keep waking up.  Oh well.....

That is quite an increase in your electric bill.  I am sure you have some very energy efficient lightbulbs, and I hope you will "keep the lights" on despite the increased cost.  It seems that utility rates often go up, but seldom go down.  

I had an experience with trying to understand my bone density test results this time, and I was fortunate that DH's DD agreed to look at them and confirmed what I thought was the case.  I know I could have googled all the terms, but it was so much easier to have an expert let me know.  

Hi Bernie.  You certainly have a busy day planned.  I have a difficult time at the Hallmark store myself.  I imagine you will stay strong and resist "wanty" purchases.

Today I have the senior lunch program and plan to go to the gym later.

I did not get much accomplished around the house yesterday, but I did get in plenty of exercise, etc.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. to Jean -- what size/type of suitcase will you be taking on your trip to Australia.  I have a suitcase that works well for trips of 10 days or less, but my trip to Italy will be longer (more like 16 total), and I think it may be too small, particularly since I don't want to have to use a laundromat or try to dry things in a hotel room.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Regarding suitcases, I don't use big ones as they are too heavy. I basically use a 26 inch (includes spinner wheels) and a duffel style carryon that goes under the seat. I have a 22 inch that I can use but it goes underneath with the bigger bag when it is used. I don't like wagging big bags and because of height and back issue, I don't like lifting a heavy 22 inch bag overhead. The 26 inch one comes close to 50 pounds when I pack it, so a 28 inch one would likely be overweight.

The cardiology practice called. I was impressed with how quickly they returned the call along with the explanation which confirmed what I had deduced but it is nice to have a professional in the field confirm what was meant by the medical jargon in the detailed results.

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H764oeXkTsE/UQlG7VcHykI/AAAAAAAABXg/0KHjT4RjkG4/s1600/rain+rain+go+away+copy.pnghttps://www.teachthevote.org/blog-content/uploads/2016/06/ThinkstockPhotos-470725623_vote.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

Hi everyone,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H764oeXkTsE/UQlG7VcHykI/AAAAAAAABXg/0KHjT4RjkG4/s1600/rain+rain+go+away+copy.pnghttps://www.teachthevote.org/blog-content/uploads/2016/06/ThinkstockPhotos-470725623_vote.jpg

I voted in October..hope everyone gets out today and votes!!!!! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I voted this morning and posed the usual 'are we having a good turnout' question to the folks working the election.  At the time I voted we were averaging 110 people per hour - nice.  I made it in and out of Hallmark with just the cards.  I went to Macy's and instead of buying a $50 gift card went with a $70 gift card since the birthday girl is 70.  I found a D*ck's sporting near the mall and checked out knee guards - lousy selection.  I'll probably do better at my local Meijer.

Falam is not working today but will be working tomorrow so I will get my hair cut then.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I did read your posts, but I am late for the parade.

It has been rainy off and on since Sunday.  I am looking for 🌞🌞🌞and colder temps starting tomorrow.   We might see snow flurries by the end of the week

Yesterday I altered 5 pairs of corduroy pants that I got a few years ago.  I made them more of a straight leg which I like the best.  Not a hard job, but time consuming.  Then I hung 2 loads of laundry in the basement.  Then I decluttered my closet.  I have a few pairs of slacks and tops to take to St. Vincent's tomorrow when we do our Sr. Citizen shopping at Shopko.

This morning the furnace guy came & put in a new part.  Now we should be good to go.  Then the hot tub guy came before lunch & put in a new part.  Hopefully that is good to go too.

Then we voted.  Now it is time to fix supper.  It seems like I just made lunch.

I am not sleeping well either & I dislike it getting dark early.  That is the only thing I dislike about winter.

Hugs to all of you

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon everyone.  I feel like I'm just getting back to normal since our vacation.  Jean - I was just getting used to the time difference from VA to CA, and then daylight savings started, and I have to get used to that too.  Sorry that the rainy weather affects you in a negative way.  Like Linda, we are having beautiful fall weather here.  Cool at night, warm and sunny during the day.  Bernie - glad the voting and shopping went well, and you have a birthday party to look forward to.  I bet you're the coolest aunt ever!  Linda - your upcoming trip sounds fun.  We did laundry once while we were in VA.  I found that my Susan Graver liquid knit tops worked great for traveling.  The only bummer was that I found upon return, some pilling had occurred where the seatbelt crossed over the top.  That doesn't seem to happen with my seatbelt here at home, but the rental car did a number on them.  Hmm...Now I have to think about whether or not I would want to replace them.  For now, I think I'll live with the pilling, as I don't think it would be noticeable to others.

Our trip to Virginia was a lot of fun.  Skip the following if vacation details bore you, lol.  We saw: Alexandria (Carlyle House, ate lunch at Gadsby's Tavern, Christ Church, Lee-Fendall House, Old Presbyterian Meeting House, George Washington Masonic Memorial, and walked all over).  South of Alexandria we saw Pohick Church and Gunston Hall.  Westward we saw Manassas Battlefield.  Once in the Blue Ridge Mountains, we drove the Skyline Drive and saw 3 caverns (Skyline, Shenandoah, and Luray), plus the VA Museum of the Civil War and Newmarket Battlefield.  Also saw a covered bridge and got wet in the Shenandoah River. In central VA we saw Monticello, ate lunch at Michie's Tavern, James Monroe's Highland, and our son gave us a tour of UVA (his house, office, and classroom, the Rotunda, Edgar Alan Poe's room, the Chapel, section of the Berlin Wall, and misc. statues and murals).  We saw Charlottesville's infamous park with its Robert E. Lee statue, and ate dinner at their wonderful pedestrian mall. 

Heading west into the mountains again, we saw the Frontier Culture Museum, Lee's Chapel and Museum, and the Natural Bridge.  Heading SW, we saw the SW VA Historical Park in Big Stone Gap, and took the chair lift ride at the Natural Tunnel.  Saw the Cowan Mill, Wilderness Road State Park, and hiked to the saddle of the Cumberland Gap, as well as overlooking where VA, KY, and TN come together.  Stayed one night in Middlesboro KY, and took a short trip through northern Tennessee.  Back in VA we toured the town of Abingdon, then drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and saw Mabry Mill.  

Heading east we saw Appomattox, and the battlefield parks at Petersburg.  Then we took a long drive up the eastern shore (the bridge/tunnel getting there is something else!) to Chincoteague.  Got lucky and got to see some of the ponies really close.  So my childhood dream of seeing where "Misty of Chincoteague" lived came true!  Back on the VA mainland we toured Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg.  Our 2nd day in Williamsburg was the only day it really rained on us.  Then we saw Shirley Plantation and Richmond (VA state capitol building, White House of the Confederacy, and Valentine Museum). 

Went to Charlottesville a 2nd time to visit our son, but he was sick with a bad cold.  We saw the Walton's Mountain Museum and Montepelier.  Heading NE we went to Fredericksburg (saw Chancelorsville and Fredericksburg battlefields, Mary Washington House, Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop, Rising Sun Tavern, Kenmore Plantation).  Last stop was at Quantico, where we toured the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

Our plane flight back got cancelled at the last minute, they gave us another one, but we came within minutes of missing our connecting flight in Dallas.  Then our DD was over an hour late in picking us up.  But we made it.  Back home safe and sound.  It was wonderful to go on a vacation, and it's wonderful to be back home.

VA was a great place to vacation.  Scenery was beautiful, lots of history, people were very friendly.  I think we had great tour guides and docents every place we went.  And as I mentioned before, even the weather cooperated while we were there.  The fall colors were just starting to appear here and there, but at least we got to see a little bit of them.  I think I took thousands of pictures (not kidding), so I've been going through them this week, as well as getting caught up on cleaning.  My DD might be a good veterinarian, but she's not that great around the house, lol.

So, that's my somewhat long-winded account of my vacation. Hope you are all doing well.  Waves to all  ~  Charlene