Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, NOV. 1)

Good morning, shopping friends. Today is a beautiful sunny day and I will be heading to the city soon for physical therapy and to have a late lunch with my niece and possibly a friend.

I use the TSV so today's super sized offer is a true value. A 12 oz size on the FAB (First Aid Beauty) website is $30. It is also available at Amazon in the same size and price. A single jar of the 14 oz size is available at Amazon for $49.99. The 4-1/2 star out of 5 stars rating given by 662 people at Amazon for the 12 oz. size is an indication of how good it has been for many people.  For those curioius about how long it lasts after opening, the recommended time is one year.

I just called Puerto Rico to check on something and discovered a power outage at the hotel and its surrounding area. I hope that isn't a negative sign of things to come with the trip.

I need to pull out my clothes I intend to take with me and have them blessed by the laundry. I know I work Thursday but tomorrow is unknown at this point. I just need to get some things out of the way so next week will be stress free.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely....and welcome to November!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, NOV. 1)

Welcome,

Image result for november pics

Frequent Contributor

Re: shopaholics,

I'm rather new to forum and I've noticed posts entitled shopaholics, l am wondering is this something for people who shop too much, sort of along the lines of AA for alcoholics?   If it is how can I join, get help, hook up with someone, get info, STOP the madness before...?  If not have a nice trip. 😀

Honored Contributor

Good Morning

@KonaKat Jean, I've often wondered about the item being offered as a TSV.  You make a great case for the value of today's offering.  Fingers crossed the power outage is just a fluke.

@judEve

Welcome to the Community.  I'm one of the newer posters to this daily thread.  From my perspective, it's not a 12 step program or anything.  More like women encouraging others to shop wisely.

I'm sure the original group will be able to explain it better than me :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thank you for the great graphic welcoming us into November.

judEve--This thread started when a member at that time realized they had a shopping problem when the individual went to the order summary and totalled up what they had spent duriing the year....and then didn't remember many of the items as they were "small" want purchases that were easily forgotten, We basically formed a support group and talked about how to set shopping goals, money management goals, impulse spending, wants versus needs, magic words to get us to buy, etc. Over the years...almost ten..most of the original posters have left and those that remained basically can control most times their spending. Others have joined in the love of shopping but in a controlled manner.

I will use the TSV as an example. It is a great buy if you believe you will use it and do not currently have a stock of moisturizers on hand. Some people cannot resist the siren call of each new moisturizer, beauty product, or any other product. The first question you ask yourself is "Is it a want or is it a need?" If it is a need, is it the most cost effective? In other words, do you get the most use out of it for the money you spend?

Like any habit that needs to change, it is easier to change if you set a goal for the week or for the month. If you make a purchase on a credit card, try to pay it off for the month. Credit cards are not evil but the excessive uncontrolled use of them can get people in trouble because the person cannot say "No!" Be careful of easy pays; they do add up! Set a limit that you are willing to pay on Easy Pays each month and stick to it. The order status/summary under easy pay tells you how much you are obligated to pay each month for all easy pays. When you are successful in  meeting a goal of, for example, 10% less purchases for the week regardless of where, then stick to it and either increase the percentage of number of purchases not made or the dollar amount.f

This happens to be a fond area of mine, so feel free to drop in and ask questions, etc. We also just talk about what is going on in our lives. I paid for a vacation trip by having it as a goal and saving the money I would otherwise have spent on purchases that I wanted but did not need. I used the order summary for a year as my benchmark for measuring progress, as well as balance on cards. Now, the cards are paid in full each month unless it is for a major trip and I try not to exceed two omonths to pay those. You don't want to be one of those people who pay for things months afterwards, as I did when I underwent depression "feel good" spending when members of my family died.

Hang in there! Visit with us, and talk about what is tempting you and why. Perhaps we can help you see if it is a justiffied purchase. With shopping and "shopaholics," it isn't the dollar amount of the purchase as much as the thrill of making a purchase, seeing the packages arrive, etc. Afterwards doesn't have the same excitement.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

judEve--If you are ordering from QVC, if you go to checkout and go through the long checkout process, when it comes to payment, you can select "check status." This gives you two weeks to send QVC a check or convert to credit card status. This gives you two weeks to figure out if you really want that item. If you forget about it, QVC will just cancel the order for you...and you might have saved yourself some money.

I can go on but I have to get to the city for physical therapy.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean,  let's hope that the power outage is short lived.  Good luck with your PT today & have fun having lunch with your niece. I love getting ready to go on vacation.  I change my wardrobe plans many times.   It is sunny & 70 today with rain tomorrow.  Then 60's for the rest of the week.

Bird Mama, I am a Shopaholic newby of 2 or 3 years.  Everybody has been so welcoming of me.

meallen, Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  Last year I did it up fancy & mom was so happy.  There were just 3 of us.  Mom kept telling me how lovely everything was.  Now that mom is gone it well be quiet with the 2 of us.

judEve, welcome to this nice group of ladies.  We all enjoy shopping, but keep things under control most of the time.  Sometimes I buy wants & not needs.  Window shopping is therapy for me.

Yesterday was busy as DH & I have decided to get the Subaru fixed at a different place & we were busy visiting another body shop.  

I need to walk today as we are expecting rain tomorrow.

Our niece & her little girl are coming for dinner tomorrow night.  She will be 30 on Friday, so I will make it a little extra special.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started Jean.  Hope PT goes well, and you have a nice lunch.  Also, hope you have a good trip to PR, and there are no power or weather issues.  

Interesting about the TSV.  I purchased a set of two smaller jars a while back (from here or Amazon, (I can't remember), and I am nearly finished with the first jar.  I didn't look at the sizes, and thought the TSV price was high.  Not sure if I'll buy, but I appreciate your pointing that out.  Thanks also for your explanation to our possible new poster.  I don't think I was ever a true "Shopaholic", but I certainly did a bunch of unnecessary spending on things that I should have not done.  Advice from this thread along with a lot of reflection have helped me improve.

Nice graphic, meallen.

Hi Bernie -- hope work is busy, but not too stressful today.  

I am sure you will do a lot of reflecting this Thanksgiving, twinny.  I'm so glad you went to all the effort last year to make your Mom's Thanksgiving so special and nice.  Hugs.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, snicks, Essie, Susan, Marijane, 3suwm5, Charlene, Rosa (please check-in if you have a chance), Barbara, LindaR, Karen, Gayle, butterfly, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Not sure if I shared what happened yesterday with this thread, but I had a call from the hospice nurse who told me that DH fell on Sunday, but was fine.  I was shocked since I had not been called by the facility, and I visited him twice on Sunday.  To make a very long story short, the caregiver on duty called DH's daughter at home and left a message, rather than calling me. And, his daughter was working late and did not play back the message until after I told her about it.  I did point out the mistake, and the caregiver was apologetic.  She told the evening caregiver about it, but she did not say a word.  (She is one I have had problems with in the past, and I think she is a bit "dizzy".)  

DH was fine when I visited him, and he had no memory of falling.  We had a good time at the party, and fingers crossed all is well today.  I'll visit him after I go to the gym this afternoon.  I have my volunteer job this morning, and then I'll go to the gym. 

I am leaning toward taking the overpriced trip in December, but I really don't want to accept any money from his DD.  Decisions, decisions.

On a shopping related note, DGS received his TSV (from Saturday) sheets yesterday.  I could not believe how fast that went.  Granted they live in Maryland, just the next State down from PA, but.....

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I say take the trip.  You have done a spectacular job being your DH 's caretaker & it is her way to thank you for a job well done.  I am glad that your DH didn't get hurt in his fall.  Mom fell 15 times & I got a call each time.  It got to the point that I was afraid to look for blinking lights on the phone when  DH & I came home from an outing.

I walked before lunch & now I am playing phone tag with the lawyer.

Honored Contributor

A quick hello to everyone. I've been busy outdoors today, used my leaf blower and the riding lawn mower, along with my handy dandy rake and got the whole back yard taken care of and burned. Of course that didn't take care of all the leaves still on the trees, lol. Man is my back ever talking to me now. We will have an easy dinner and I need to make a run to Walmart for a few things, but that may have to wait till tomorrow (Walmart, not dinner, lol). Glad to read that everyone is doing ok and busy as always. Waves to all.....
"To each their own, in all things".