Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, MAY 28)

@Bird mama wrote:

@twinny70   It wasn't so hot this morning but boy or boy was it ever humid - yuk.

Its not humid, just 70's this afternoon.  I am so glad to be out of the 90's.  Hopefully It's not hot back home. I think that we are going to have a rainy week though.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, when we bought our lot, there were two red maple trees already there so our contractor built our home so that one of the Red Maples would give us some nice shade on the West side of our house. It's a God send because we don't have to use the A/C as much in the summertime.

Trusted Contributor

Hello everyone!  Linda - thanks for starting our thread today.  I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain and I hope that it goes away soon.  Congrats on going through belongings and purging what you don't need.  It feels good to get that done.  Jean - your upcoming trip to Gatlinburg sounds great.  Since our vacation last October, I can say that I've been to Tenn, even though it was just a tiny bit of the northern border.  I hope that the sunglasses you ordered work out well for you.  Marijane - that chicken parma sounds delicious!  twinny - are you on vacation in PA?  Sorry that I missed the details.  Shopping in the Amish stores and eating in the restaurants sounds like a lot of fun.  Bernie - I'm sorry that you're sad about the way the tree turned out.  I assume that it will fill out with time?  My DH and I have differing philosophies about the garden.  I tend to let things get more "cottage-y", while he tends to overprune things.

Speaking of gardening...I'm exhausted at the moment.  Yesterday my DH and I did a bunch of yard work, followed by running errands, and we finished up by purchasing 6 trees.  Or maybe it was 5 trees and a large shrub, lol.  Anyway, today has consisted of planting said trees.  We planted a large bottlebrush at the top of a long hedge of bottlebrush, to hide the view of our next-door-neighbor's yard.  Then at the bottom of the long hedge, we planted 3 Chinese Pistache trees (I think they're called), with the intent of blocking the ugly view of a tractor trailer rig that was abandoned in the neighboring field 10 years ago.  Then we planted a California Pepper tree in the field close to the goat pens (goats, ground squirrels, and rabbits aren't so enamored by the taste of pepper trees, so we're hoping it survives.)  Then in another section of our field we planted a Jacaranda tree.  Some areas we dug weren't too bad, as the soil was still a bit soft from some rain we got last week.  Other places were hard, hard, hard.  I do my best to help my DH, but he can dig 5 shovel-fulls for every one of mine.  Now we have to keep everything watered, staked, protected from vermin, etc.  Hope they grow and do well!

In a bit I'm going to take a shower, rest, and read a book.  The hard work is done for the day.  Waving to all of our regulars and visitors alike!  ~  Charlene 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Charlene, we are on the last leg of our vacation in Shipshewana, IN.  We usually get here in September on our way back home from seeing our ds and ddil.  It's a fun town to shop and eat eat at.  We went to our great niece's graduation party a couple of weeks ago in S. IL and decided to go to KY and TN for about two weeks.  It sounds like you are keeping busy with your outdoor work.  I was thinking about buying 6 🍅🍅🍅plants here, but it's a little over a 6 hour drive back home.

I am watching the TV in our motel room and thanking our lucky 🌟🌟🌟 that we decided not to go to OK & LA  last week.  Such devastation from tornadoes and flooding.  Now I am seeing the horrible tornado in OH  where we drove through just last week.

It's going to be good to get back home & I am sure that it will take us both a few days to recover.  Laundry is #1 on my list. Lawn mowing for my DH.