Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JUNE 24)

No plans to buy a new car Arlene. I can use DH's car, especially since he has decided not to drive any more. Just received a bill for the ambulance -- more than $1660. They want immediate payment, but my insurance company recommended sending my health insurance information since I do have coverage.

Sorry about the biopsy Gayle -- fingers crossed there are no problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--Midnight alternates his pet beds much like some women alternate handbags. It is interesting what people notice you wearing and on which they make comments. People here are not the type that hand out comments easily to you on what you wear or use. In fact, many suspicion that the person might have an alternative motive when positive comments are made as in "What are you wanting now?"

Linda--I'm not surprised at the ambulance bill. In 1998, when I was taken to a hospital in a city when it was possible that I was having a heart attack, the bill for the 15 minute ride was around $500. Using DH's car is a good option right now, especially when two cars are not highly needed.

Twinny--Your menu for the dinner party sounds very yummy! Enjoy the company. A chronic illness has its challenges, so enjoy each great day. So many people take their good health for granted until faced with a health challenge....and, they are totally unaware of the costs of medical treatment.

I did buy that Calista Tools hair styling web stuff. Time will tell if it is a good investment. I have heavy hair that tends to get flat without a lot of help.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Linda, the USO's are so awesome. If ever you have a need, you can always tell them your GS's are in the service, and slip them a few $$. They have been wonderful to my cousin, who got stuck in an airport overnight once and travels a lot. I am getting much pickier as well, and sometimes I think I'm being TOO picky, but if I don't love it I don't buy anymore.

I'm happy to report that DD is able to take a fitness class the second summer semester to pull her grade up and get her scholarship reinstated. Her grade had dropped one hundredth of a point so it will be easy to pull it up - AND she will get some exercise in. If you all remember, she is the one who got me doing boot camp.

Gayle, so sorry you are facing more "patient" activity. I pray everything goes well. Enjoy your time away! Maybe you will find something to buy while you are away?

I have been uber unsuccessful at doing anything around the house. I need to run to the grocery for this weekend, tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like I will be putting it off so I guess I better wash the dog. She doesn't appreciate it much. lol

Jean, I see they are talking about your cost per wear in another thread. They took it to an extreme so I didn't comment, but that is one of the best measurments for me of a good purchase. I'm so grateful that you share it and remind us about it - it's something that my girls have picked up as well.

Hugs to all!

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--I read that thread on the cost per wear. It did go to the extreme; most of us do not think in terms of that dollar amount. It blows my mind that some pay huge dollars for a "name" jean with holes in them. When I was younger, anyone wearing jeans with holes in them only did it while working around the house; to wear them out in public meant that you could not afford better. Cost per wear simply means that the number of uses means one got their money's worth. A $200 item used 10 times is $20 per use. A $50 item bought and used just once because it didn't really satisfy you is $50 per use. Sometimes we have to know our personal tastes and preferences to buy the things that we will use often to justify the cost.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Yes, I can't imagine spending so much on an item. Perhaps if I had more expendable funds, my feelings would change.