Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JULY19)

Hi Everyone!

It's sunny, hot and humid with possible storms today. UGH! I know it's much hotter elsewhere so take care with the heat. We've had fog in the mornings since the weekend. So odd to see it during the summer.

I was scheduled with a vet checkup for Thor today but my migrain and dizziness was just too bad to drive. He's rescheduled for Sept. That temperature has got to be better for him than today. I'm trying to rework their medication pick ups to one per month and two months for each check-up.Hopefully, that will work better for the dogs and the budget. They prefer the cooler months.

I filled up the Subaru yesterday. Our gas is almost $5.00/gallon. It was almost $49.00. That got me thinking that we should alternate months for gas fill ups between the cars. So far, we don't have long lines but we go during mid day. 

I did some grocery shopping on Friday for a few treats for the weekend and some staples. I'd lilke to check out one time for under $100 during the month. I did get red pepers for $1.50 each and lettuce $1.59. WOO-HOO!! I love salads and the hubby loves burgers. All the other fruits and veggies were up $.

I did find some ice cream pints for $2.50 so I got 2. I think I may have to make another trip for a few more. Ice cream is a weakness of mine. YUM!

I've watched some of the Q but mainly the repeat shows late at night. That's working out much better to keep to my budget. I have to save for siding. Hope to make calls this week to get quotes.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JULY19)

Hi Everyone!

I forgot to mention that I received the clearance Christmas wrapping items that I purchased. All were between $16 and under $20. The tissue paper bulk package was very nice. The coated large tote bags/ were larger than I expected and will hold large items or family gifts. The gift bag & tag set was a good variety of sizes. I'm all set for wrapping gifts and it was far less spent than in previous years. Didn't want anyone to miss out on a bargain if in need of wrapping items.

Honored Contributor

Hey Fressa @Fressa  I saw the sidewalk crew putting some last minute touches on my neighbors open squares and thought for sure they would be pouring today.  Because a couple of my squares infringe on the path of my driveway I have to street park.  The street directly in front of the house has been wide open however I parked by my next door neighbor's house.  She chose the mud-jacking route and managed to pass inspection by the city engineer and I know that nobody will be putting equipment in front of her house.

I figured I would do the grocery shopping this morning and left the house shortly after 10 am.  I had to wear a bra so I was already aggravated, lol.  I got the shopping done, parked in front of neighbor's house, hit the garage door remote and fetched the wheelbarrow.  Smarter, not harder.  There was one square on my sidewalk between the drive and drive approach to the street and I rolled that wheelbarrow down into the street, parked the wheelbarrow by the trunk of my car and got all of my purchases into my attached garage in one trip.  It was already getting hotter outside.

I think the owner of the construction company sent everyone home because it felt like you were walking into a blast furnace by noon.  93, sunny and windy - not my kind or Glenda's kind of weather - Yikes.

I had to buy paper towel and instant maxwell house coffee plus I bought a pair of pajama pants on clearance so I went over $100.  Got a decent sale on green seedless grapes 2.49 per pound.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I also bought ice cream.  I would call it a half gallon if it was really a half gallon - I think they shrunk the size - french vanilla (it was on sale).  I also bought a box of sundae cones (they were not on sale).  I really wanted just vanilla ice cream sandwiches - they only had neopolitan. I can handle neopolitan ice cream on a waffle type ice cream sandwich.  Neopolitan ice cream on a chocolate type of sandwich is just nasty to me. Purple Cow Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae Cones, 8 Count | Meijer

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Fressa - Thank you for starting us today.  Sorry to hear about your migraine, hope you are feeling better tomorrow.  Sorry you have to wait until September for a new appt. for the dog.  Glad to hear you found icecream at a good price.  That is an important food group.

Bernie -   Smart thinking on the wheelbarrow.  Hope they get your sidewalk done soon, though, I give the guy points for sending people home with your weather.  It is not worth someone getting hurt over a job.  

I have to get a grocery list done.  For the next 6 or so weeks I will be eating a soft diet.  I have to have some dental work done on Thursday and it includes cutting of my gums and "shaving" bone off an area by a tooth so I can get a new crown.  I have a feeling this is going to hurt.

DH and I just finished cutting the front of the house, the weather seemed to cool down  a bit so we took advantage of it.  The back with be left to another day, when the temps go down a little.

Oh, we finally got a couple projects done around here:  We got some electrical work done and we go our new whole house generator installed today.  We are making progress.  

Well off to watch some TV, hope everyone has a great evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Sorry about your migraines and the weather.  Looks like a lot of areas are very hot these days.  Here too, of course, but 100 degree plus temperatures are not out of the ordinary here. 

I need to buy gasoline, but don't feel like doing it today.  The prices have come down here -- I think $4.70 or even less per gallon.  Sounds like your area is slower in reducing prices.  You and Bernie are making me hungry for ice cream.  I have some ice cream sandwiches in the freezer, so I think I will indulge tonight after dinner.

Glad you are happy with your Christmas wrap and bags.  I no longer exchange gifts -- at most one or two locally.  It just isn't practical with my family living so far away.  And, the shipping prices are crazy.  They are happy with gift cards and cash.

Good trick with the wheelbarrow, Bernie.  Enjoy your ice cream.  Sometimes I can get big sales on grapes or other produce, but  unfortunately that isn't true of most of my groceries.

The senior lunch program went okay today.  This month's summer helper decided to clean the walls and the drains in the kitchen area.  Really good idea, and pretty impressive for a recent high school grad to come up with the idea.  He has other jobs (saving to pay for college), and one is at a Burger King.  Perhaps they had him do that type of work.  

I work again tomorrow since both Wednesday volunteers are out.  The director told me that one of them broke her leg on vacation, so she will be out for a while even when she returns.  The lady who had COVID has recovered, but decided to stay out a bit longer.  No one else caught COVID -- thank goodness.

The gym went fine, but boy was I sweating.  I think I will look for a headband or something to keep the sweat out of my eyes.  

Have a nice evening everyone and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--They sell those ice cream cones here but under the brand "nutty Buddy"...They have a mini cone version also. Those I buy like crazy because they are guilt free for my "watching calories". (so small to worry about calories)  

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama----Getting the wheelbarrow out for the groceries was a very good idea. Our street is so tiny that they just block you in if they have to do any work. There just isn't any room for the trucks. Sometimes they move one truck during lunch hour so you can get out but then you have to park two streets over and hope nobody hits your car. It doesn't happen that often so it's easy to just adjust your schedule for that day.Now multiple days are a different situation. 

Esteemed Contributor

PALady----Good luck with your dental procedure. I've been putting that off for years. It sounds like you're checking off some major updates/repairs to your home. Ignoring the expense of the project, I found a big sense of relief to know that it was handled and no longer had to worry about it. 

Good luck with your other projects.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte---It sounds like you have a "good" summer's helper with your Seniors lunch program. Another pair of hand sis such a relief. Sure sounds like you're be busier than usual with the hospice deliveries since two people are out. Pace yourself. 

I agree. I think our state is one of the highest for gas prices as well as groceries. It's in every buisness or field. The vet's office has an average of $20-$30 on every procedure or medication. I'm still steamed about the $80 charge to put one qtip in Ada's ears to check if I cleaned them sufficiently. IIt's going to take awhile before I can forget about that one. 

Good luck with the heat. I have friends who love the hot temps. I'm the odd one with the cool breeze and snow.