Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JANUARY 18th)

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon!  Hope everyone is having a nice Tuesday. 

I have emailed Barbara, but no response yet.  In response to Bernie, the doctors are recommending Bev eat the red meat due to her low hemoglobin levels and bleeding.  She told me that she had nine transfusions in the hospital, and her doctor was trying to help her avoid having more.  For one thing, there is a blood shortage, plus he said it isn't good to have so many transfusions.  She is also taking iron supplements.  Thanks for your continued prayers.

Just as a side note, she had ordered a meal from the restaurant where I have the gift certificate, and it was $29 plus tax, tip, and delivery charge.  To top it off, she didn't care for the food.  Fortunately, she is getting a credit for a new meal, but makes me wonder how far my gift certificate will go.

She told me some other interesting things -- not good, but....  When she tried to go to the local (small, semi-rural) hospital before the three weeks at the other one, they said they couldn't take her, even in the ER.  And, they couldn't refer her to any hospitals in the closest city (Tucson), so she would need to go north (Phoenix) or to New Mexico.  Her friend Sam decided to take her to the hospital in Tucson, and she was fortunate to get a bed.  Most of the nurses there were "traveling nurses" who were making much more money than the regular staff.  The small, local hospitals are just not able to pay to attract the traveling health care workers.  With such limited staff, they cannot accept new patients.  

Even one of the two local lab centers (where many get their blood work done) is closed due to lack of staff.  So, I can completely understand the lack of availability for Jean at the local hospital.  

Jean said on FB that she is concerned about getting to her cardiologist appointment due to predicted bad weather.  Hopefully, that will be possible.

My DD took my SIL to the doctor today -- no COVID, but bronchitis.  Hopefully, the medication will help.

I made an appointment to meet tomorrow with the new CPA who took over my tax preparers business.  The receptionist was delightful, and helped explain some concerns I have.  That was a relief.  I hope I like the CPA as much as I liked her.

Later today, I plan to go to the gym and take a walk.  I saw part of the D&Co. show, and just shook my head at the prices.  I had some SS yoga-style pants that I loved and wore for years, but I doubt that they will have them now at a reasonable price.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.  Please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S.  Just saw on FB that you can order the free COVID in-home tests now -- COVIDtests.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JANUARY 18th)

LindaLatte---That sure is interesting about the staffing at the hospitals and the labs. I have lab work to get before my doctor appointment so I'm guessing I should move it up on my list. Maybe with the free Covid tests thru the mail will ease up the foot traffic in some of these medical facilities. Fingers crossed. 

We have the same bed/staff shortage here because they fired hundreds of nurses, etc. because of the vaccine mandate. It can be scary if you think ao bout it for too long. 

Prayers for Bev and Barbara.

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte   I understand why they are recommending it and I hope it works for Bev.  I think the iron supplements will benefit her more and it's a good thing that she's on those.  I hope Jean is able to make it to her cardiologist's appointment.  She doesn't need the stress of driving in crazy weather.  I'm glad that you had a good experience with the new CPA's receptionist.  Hopefully like attracts like when it comes to hiring decisions at that office and the CPA is equally delightful.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I heard from Barbara, and she had a busy, but mostly good day.  The hospice social worker and chaplain came, and she liked them both.  Her DH slept in the hospital bed last night, and seemed comfortable.  They had new "high rise" toilets installed for a reasonable cost.  Their clubhouse is closed due to COVID, but their is an outdoor party Barbara may attend.  She will be seeing her pain doctor early on Thursday.  The only bad news was that her DH choked after lunch, and had trouble breathing.  Fortunately, he was able to get himself out of it and is okay.

Esteemed Contributor

I just received a text from Bev.  She is back in the hospital and having another transfusion.  She will be admitted, and she thinks that she will have the nephrectomy (kidney removed) after all.  Thanks for your prayers.