Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JAN. 30)

Good morning, shopping friends. I'm not working today so my big accomplishment for the day until now is that I got 60 minutes of exercise done. Now, to relax a little before getting ready for trash day tomorrow, Surely, I can find some things lurking in the back of the fridge, etc. Of course, there is always the stuff around the house to be discovered and evaluated for its worthiness to keep.

Those of us who are participating on this thread are not true shopaholics, although a few were when the thread started over ten years ago. It is amazing how much those small purchases add up and often are forgotten after a period of weeks. Have you ever put thiings on a wish list and then revisited that list weeks later and wondered why you thought the item was important enough to list as a wish item? What if the impulse had taken over and the item had been purchased without a delay feature being built in?

Products are there to be sold, and they are products of varying usefulness and quality. Most hosts do their best to convince us that the item's features are just what we need. Do we really need it? Is it cost effective to justify the purchase?

This link provides information on the characteristics of a shopaholic. Keep in mind that having one of the characteristics does not necessarily make you a shopaholic, but it is a cautionary note.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/14/shopaholic-7-signs-addicted-to-shopping_n_1883751.html

My budgeted "want" purchase of the Halston top has shipped. I am looking on Amazon for a good shoe rack to organize my numerous shoes. This is one area I am definitely saying "no" to: Do I really need that neat pair of shoes?

I wish all our readers and posters a great day. We welcome all, so please post whenever you can.

Lastly, shop but shop wisely; window shopping can lead to temptation but it is a great way to "shop" without expending a penny. Smiley Happy

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JAN. 30)

Jean, it sounds like your exercising is going great.  I am walking when I can.  We are going to get our teeth cleaned this afternoon because our dentist is retiring tomorrow.  We only found out last Friday.

I am trying to get my bathroom remodeled, but our builder is retiring too.  We are hoping to work with his son.

I am going to a former co worker's 40th years of  working at this company this afternoon.

I get my infusion on Friday so I need to stay healthy.

Our weather has been nice & January has been cooperative.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Great that you have already done an hour of exercising.  Be sure to pat yourself on the back.  I sort of do that by tracking my exercise on Fitbit/Sparkpeople. it always makes me smile to see that I have met/exceeded my exercise goals. 

I don't think I qualify as a Shopaholic, but I certainly have done way, way too much shopping in my time.  And, sometimes for the reasons mentioned in the link. 

My new goal is to reduce shopping (TV, internet, in person) as much as possible.  I spent several years not watching Q on TV much, and now that I am watching more, I realize what wonderful salespeople they have.  So, I am trying to reduce my Q watching, shopping on-line, etc., and do more reading and trying to learn new things (like the Spanish on-line program I have started.)  The upside is that I feel like I am using my brain more.  Fortunately, the Q programs today are easy for me to ignore.  Our climate is so different than most of the rest of the country, and I like going to local experts if I am considering new plants, etc.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the hospice nurse called me yesterday afternoon.  She was visiting DH, and he was having dinner -- smiling, etc.  She planned to come back later to look at his fingernail.  The director had already left for the day, but she put in a phone call.  The caregivers really cannot ignore her orders.  I know the director is aware of this, but he probably needs to talk to the caregiver in question.

Today I have the senior lunch program, and I'll go to the gym later.  Then, I'll visit DH.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  I know some of you are having snow, and I hope it doesn't pose any problems for you.  Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Well the pilot program for working remotely started this week.  Thank goodness my co-workers talk to me because God knows my leader doesn't, lol.

I chose on-site days of Monday and Thursday, so Tues, Wed and Friday I'm at home.  I was online around 6:45 am and am officially at lunch right now.  It's funny, at work I never take a lunch - at home I am trying to ensure work/life balance.

Jean @KonaKat  my garbage pick up was today and I found an unopened container of pitted prunes in the fridge with an expiration date of last week.  On a good day prunes can cause a person a reaction Woman Very Happy  I certainly wasn't going to take a chance on eating one that might have expired.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@twinny70  Geez twinny I am really sorry to read that your dentist is retiring.  At least you will get the chance to say goodbye.  I didn't find out that my gyno (treated me head to toe) was retiring until I received the letter days after his last day.  Never got to say goodbye to him.  

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  Reading that your beloved was smiling made me smile.  One day at a time dear Linda and it always makes me smile and feel warm all over when I read about his good days.  

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I don't blame you for getting the dental work done before your dentist retired; it is good that you found out so you could get it done. I'm sure that many had him booked up when hearing of the retirement. Good job on keeping healthy; I hope the infusion goes well.

Linda--Keeping track of the info on your eating and exercise is motivating. I use MyFitnessPal along with the FitBit. I'm finding it easier and easier to not watch the Q. I used to have it on as background noise and also to hear people talk but now I watch many old series on Netflix and Hulu. It is easy to do a daily review of items presented on the Q if the mood dictatees or a need to compare prices arises.  I am so happy that DH was smiling during dinner.

Bernie--The ability to work at home on some days is great! It will be an adjustment but I think it will be one you will like. No, I don't think eating the aged unopened prunes would have been a good idea; it could have been more explosive than an overdose of Dulcolax.

It is sunny now but nippy. I discovered some salsa that needed to go in the trash. I wasn't willing to use it based upon the expiration date. It was a mango salsa which I thought I would like but couldn't bring myself to use often.

This is the shoe organizer I found at Amazon which I am reserving for a February purchase:

shoerack.jpg

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I had no idea that our dentist practiced for 38 year's.  He looks at least 10 years younger.  Sorry about your Dr. retiring too.  I will be seeing a new GI Dr. next week.  They leave about every two year's.  Retirement for you has to be better than working, so I hope that you fully enjoy it.

Linda L. Hugs to you as you are dealing with health care workers.  Not a fun thing to deal with.  I am glad that your DH is still smiling.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I really like that shoe rack.  I also can't remember when I last watched the Q for more than 10 minutes at one time.  Nothing interests me anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I like the way that rack organizes the shoes. This is another pic of showing it in a room:

shoerack1.jpg

It is time for a small lunch and then my afternoon reading.