Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JAN. 19)

Good morning, shopping friends. I've been following the forecasts as I await the nasty storm on its way. We could have up to 15 inches of snow this weekend, preceded by a smaller one starting tomorrow afternoon.

It is 4 degrees right now but clear, so I will be venturing to the Post Office, pick up meds, and do some odds and ends before I tuck myself in for the long haul. I don't have a generator but they are warning of power outages with this. I spent a week without power during another February ice storm several years ago, so I will endure whatever develops. I did download 3 books from the Kindle Unlimited program to read. I have my batteries ready to go to charge the Kindle if needed if power goes out..

I have an item on check status to debate its value in purchasing. Prior to the car purchase, I likely would have followed through and purchased.  The reality is that it is a want and not a need so the money could be saved until I see something that is more enticing as we enter Spring.

I would have enjoyed watching Denim & Co. but instead we are having a glimpse of Spring with a Garden Party show. Instead, the Weather Channel has my attention for the moment.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, JAN. 19)

Good morning @KonaKat, thanks for starting us this morning. And hello to all who follow.

You do have a big storm coming, it sounds like. Really hope you do not lose power during it. Our snow has just started here, predicted up to 4" thru tonight. Still bitterly cold, but somewhat better than yesterday. I got all my errands ran yesterday, including filling my car up with gas, thought I was going to freeze, lol. I am in till Thursday, when I have a doctor visit scheduled about an hour or so away. They have taken the wintry mix out of the forecast for that day, but it may be back by then, so we will see if I make it there or re-schedule. It's with my RA doctor, who will not be happy with me since I cancelled the neurologist apptmt she set up for me, as I feel I didn't need to see a neurologist, along with all the rest, lol. I think I solved the problem myself. Should be interesting, anyway. I am watching some of the gardening programming this morning, but will not be watching too much longer, I don't buy plants from here, but am enjoying just seeing some right in the middle of winter, lol. I am considering the shovel that they have that is kind of pointed, as digging is difficult for me these days, but have not put it in my cart yet, probably won't. I agree, buying a car does make one think before making unnecessary purchases, lol.

Hope everyone has a great day, stays safe and warm. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

JEAN, We got a good taste of winter on Sunday & again yesterday when the chill factor closed all of our area schools.  I hope that you don't lose power with the snow storm.

Sunday was busy with church, some shopping, lunch out & a visit with mom.  She didn't want company & told us she Just wanted peace & quiet.  We then visited with one of the other ladies until mom told us that we could talk to her.  She was thinking of different ways that she could go home & do things by herself with little assistance.  Then she was still telling me that I needed to find a certain ring that is in her jewelry box.  DH & I went back to her house & went through 3 boxes on her dresser.  No ring so I opened a dresser drawer & found 2 more jewelry boxes.  Lo & behold I found a ring that I don't think that I have ever seen before.  I am taking the ring when we visit mom this afternoon to see if it is the ring that she is bothered about.

Dinner is chilli in the crock pot.  We are doing a little cleaning at mom's today as I didn't go out of the house yesterday.  I called a friend yesterday & we played games & ate chili.  DD had a quiet birthday yesterday as the children had no school, her DH works from home & they had a nice day indoors.

Hugs to all of you.

It is a beautiful sunny day with maybe light snow tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, thanks for staring the thread Jean. 

It's bitter cold here too.  I haven't watched the local weather in a few days so I have no idea what is coming my way.  I am sorry you could be facing 15 inches of snow.  I like snow and that amount is too much for me.

My sister was able to get a courtesy vehicle from the dealer yesterday and I think she will only need it for a day or two.  This means I'm driving my younger car and should not have to worry about a tow truck tonight when I get out of work.

Happy Birthday Arlene:

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama... sorry, I did not know you (or one of your sisters) were having car problems... will check in on you!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies, pretty cold here too,this morning with w/c was 10 below..it nas warmed up to about 25 now.  We are looking at a pretty big snow storm too Friday/Sat.   tHey are saying it will be a coastal storm (me) and a full moon..put the two together and it's trouble.I also remember one year we lost our power for about 10'days during the winter...no neat but we do have the wood stove that we kept going 24/7 and gave us some heat down in the FR/kitchen area.  wE slept down in the FR. And we have a hot  water  gas heater and my cooktop is gas so just needed a match to light the burners since it starts with an electric starter which was out. How many days till Spring Jean?? Can't come soon enough.

Happy Birthday Arlene...hope you have plenty of hot water now!

Your new necklace is pretty Bernie....wear it in good health.

How is your DH mouth doing LindaL after his root canal and I am happy that he didn't have too much problems,s at the dentist office as far as getting settled in.

Not much else here...have Salmon for dinner tonight.     Stay warm everyone.....Marijane

Trusted Contributor

Hi everybody - Arlene - Happy Birthday!!!

Not much going on around here today.  Just the usual routine of chores.  Not complaining though, I rather like it.  Please stay safe, those of you in stormy weather, and continued hugs to those of you who are caregivers or dealing with health issues.  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

I ventured out to get the mail and also some prescription refills. It was so cold that you were numb and couldn't feel it much. I've been home a half hour and my feet are still cold.

I did get an email from the county emergency services alerting us to be prepared for several inches, power outages, etc. and to be prepare for a minimum of 3 days of this.

We are currently about 20 degrees below our normal temp for this time of the year, but we are not alone in this. Much of the East Coast area is preparing depending upon how the storm tracks.

Prayers for all facing severe weather conditions and/or family or personal health challenges.

I'm off to begin reading one of the books I downloaded from the Kindle Unlimited library...and to warm up with Midnight.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Happy birthday FHG.  Eat something good for me.

Did some floor washing at mom's a while ago, so should have it all done by tomorrow.

DH & I had a quick lunch so that we can enjoy the hot tub before seeing mom.

Marijane, our DS called on Saturday night & said they were still having a great winter.  It sounds like that will soon change.

BIRD MAMA,  I love fall & winter , but just not subzero temps  & a foot of snow at one time.  We are expecting above normal temps by the weekend.

Yesterday was a productive day as I took down the rest of the Christmas things.  I hung up my only Valentine's day heart.  It is one that I made when I was still working & got a  prize for it.  

I hope that all of you stay safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I would like all of you to keep me in your thoughts & prayers.  We went to see mom a little while ago only to be told that she had no sleep last night, was combative to her care taker & had no sleep today either.  She told me that she was mad at me because it is my fault that she isn't in her own home.  She says that her memory is back to normal.  Her caretakers told me that is what I can expect to happen.  We left & will hope for the best tomorrow.

I did show her the ring that she has been asking about & told her that we will take her to the jewelry store this week to see what they can do to make it smaller.

I just called my brother so he knows how bad she is getting.  He was up last week, but she doesn't act like this to him.  It is difficult for me as we are bending over backwards to do the right thing.