Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME(TUESDAY, DEC.6)

Hi Everyone!

I hope this posts--still having problems. It's raining again today. UGH!! The weather is cold and windy. Yesterday we had some strong wind during the night that brought down another tree branch. No damage. 

I did a lttle on line shopping for our gradson but still have more to do. His birthday is on New Year's Eve so it's a double duty shopping time. Now that he has a house his list is the basics. (socks, etc.) He's till waiting on the solar panels to be installed. Windows are last on his list so I hope he waits until Spring for that job.

The hubby and I both have bad colds. The dogs are feeling better. I watch Jayne Brown on the D&C program. I enjoy her and almost purchased a few items. I decided to wash dog pillows and towels instead. I sure know how to have a good time around here. LOL

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME(TUESDAY, DEC.6)

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Sorry to hear about your weather and colds.  It is a little windy and cool here, but not bad at all. 

Colds and flu are really hitting this area hard.  My fellow volunteer came back today after being sick since Thanksgiving.  She was still not feeling great and coughing a bit, but wore a mask.  I wore a mask as well just in case.

My youngest DGS' birthday is December 30th.  He has asked for money, so that is what I will send him.  Also true of most of the family except for one or two who want Amazon gift cards.  I feel badly that I am not giving them gifts, but it certainly makes life easier.

DD liked the new dentist, and he thinks she will only need a crown plus a filling for the next tooth.  And, she will need a new night guard to help with her teeth grinding.  Since she is not in pain, he has scheduled this work for December 19th.  The price wasn't too bad.  She may also need some veneers on four other teeth, but hopefully no crowns.  She is relieved.

The senior lunch program was pretty busy today, but it went fine.  DH's friend has been sending me a beautiful bouquet for my birthday for the past three years, and I received it today (a day early).  He always signs the card with DH's name.  This started after I told him that I wanted to celebrate my birthday (he said that he didn't celebrate his).  It was quite a surprise the first year.  Very nice of him to do.

I saw a little of Denim & Co. this morning, but resisted ordering anything.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  how do you feel after the booster?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Here's how the rest of my decorating went on Monday Woman Happy

I was feeling pretty good about the tree as I added the glass ornaments on the inside near the pole.  I do that to cover the pole, make up for sparse spots and reflect the lights.  It wasn't until I started to add other ornaments that I noticed some of the bulbs on the middle section strand were out.  On the one hand that confirmed that I wasn't going crazy last year when I thought the tree looked dimmer.  I replaced bulbs and just couldn't get it to work. 

I felt at that point that I was in a go or no-go situation.  I decided to downsize from 6 foot to 4 foot and I ran to Meijer and picked up an artificial 4 foot tree on sale.  If I'm going to be honest, the tree looked janky on display.  Optimist that I am I said you know what they just didn't fl*ff it and decorate it, it will look better once I get through with it.

Good thing I don't live far from Meijer.  I got home at 7 pm, unboxed the tree, said Jesus Mary and Joseph I can work with anything and I can't work with this.  At this point I was getting crabby like an overtired toddler.  I boxed the tree, ran it back to Meijer for a refund and was home in 40 minutes (customer service line was loooonnng).

Before I left the house I unplugged the tree.  I was raised that you don't leave a tree plugged in if you are leaving the house.  So I get home, plug my tree in and the entire top section loses its light.  One or two curse words slipped out of my mouth but I worked with it and added a strand of C6 lights around the top.  Yea it looked a little crazy with C6 lights on top and mini lights elsewhere but at least I had lights all over.  I've since added in another C6 strand lower on the tree and it looks balanced now.

I said I was gonna get it done on Monday and I did at 11:40 pm.  I think I have a DIY project for myself in January.  I studied how the lights are affixed to the tree and because I like the quality of the tree compared to what I'm seeing out there for sale in 2022, I'm thinking of removing the mini lights on each section and wiring C6 lights in their place.  Once the tree is naked of ornaments this should be fairly easy.

By the time I'm done next year, the international space station will be able to see the lights on my tree Woman Very Happy

I got my Christmas cards addressed on Tuesday and will mail them today.  Sad I only have 12 because I remember the days I used to send 30 - 40 cards.

Honored Contributor

PS I think the mini fuses blew out on the top section and it's really hard to get them out and replace them when the tree is assembled and you're dodging ornaments.  

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--Those fuse boxes for the light strands are horrid. I've used tweezers to get the replacements in and out. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I had a Balsam Hil tree with a light problem after 2 years. Disappointed does not begin to describe my reaction. Try to find the replacement bulbs for that tree was a quest. I did that for year 3. Year 4...I strung white wired lights in the center secfion (of course that's the one that had the problem) and called it lit for that year. 

This year I purchased a new tree.  

Esteemed Contributor

Linnda Latte--Glad your DD liked the dentist and the "work" is within reason.

Both of the boys in our family asked for $ instead of gifts last year and I was thriled. This year the grandson asked for shoes and clothes. He just purchased a house so most of his paycheck pays the mortgage. Trying to find OSHA slip resistent shoes for him in a large size will be the "quest" for this season's shopping. 

I always know that it's a bad season for cold/flu if the hubby gets it. 

I watched Kim G this morning and was getting too tempted with the sweaters. I turned it off and decided  to tackle a few chores.