Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 21)

Greetings, s hopping friends. The big day is almost here so I hope no last minute shopping needs to be done.  I don't have many for gifting but I am done.

I am on a prorastination streak. I see all this decluttering that needs to be done but have been using my time relaxing. I have an orthopaedic appointment on Thursday and a cardiology appointment on the 29th.

I heard on the morning news that either k95 or kn95 masks are now the recommended masks for protection because of the layer an better filtration of particles. Double masking is recommended if not wearg the k95 or kn95 masks. I ordered a new supplly of the KN95 masks as it appears this pandemic will not end soon.

I did watch the Denim & Co show and ordered two pair of the original waist pants. I have worn them for years and really like the fit.

Have a good day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 21)

Hello Jean and all that post or follow this thread. It is a chilly morning..maybe a high in the upper teens. There were gigantic snowflakes falling earlier. I am lloking forward to returning to our Az home in early January.

Our family Christmas was canceled because of Covid . All 4 of had it, biecause everyone is fully vaccinated, our cases were mild.

Jean, I just ordered N95 masks to use when we are out and about. I am flying to Az, and I m in first class but I will use a n95 mask for that.

i hope everyone has a good day 🎄🎄🎄🌵🧑🏼‍🎄

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's sunny but cold and no rain. YIPPEE! There was frost on the grass in the am. The forecast for the week is more of the same so I hope that isn't a tease. LOL I'm so behind on my Christmas "to do " list that I'm numb. One day at a time and one errand/task at a time is my "Plan B" now. 

I did watch the entire D&Co program this morning. I haven't done that in years. I liked the sweats and longer tops but I didn't order anything. So far, I'm resisting. I have to pick up heartguard and ear cleaner for the dogs so that total will take my breath away for a few days. 

Birdmama---The furnace installation hit a "snag" before they even got to the front door. I thought it might when I had talked to the mil on Saturday. I haven't heard the update today but no news is always not good. I have my fingers crossed that when they phone it's earlier than later. I gave them my tips of what I learned thru our a/c situation. That seems to go in one ear and out the other until there's a snag. I'll keep you posted with updates and cross your fingers and toes. 

Chessielady---Our first dog was our "one in a million " dog. I still miss him every day. We've had 5 since then. I wanted multiples for years and finally got the 2 siblings when I turned 50. Lots of paws, mud and fur balls which now has made me a firm believer in the Dyson vacuums and microfiber cloths (Don Astlet or Campenelli). 

I've only managed some small decluttering this week. As long as items are going out to the garbage or in the donation stack then I'm good for this week. My energy level is low (for me). I don't want to get into too much rearranging until all the wallpaper removal is completed. It's a "Holiday break" on that project.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  No last minute shopping for me. I will be sending money via transfer Zelle for almost everyone, and sent checks to a few.  One electronic gift card for Amazon will be delivered on Christmas Eve.  I did buy a couple of gifts, but they have already been delivered.

After losing Claudia so suddenly, I have decided to forget all my "I have to do this or that" rules.  So procrastination of decluttering sounds fine to me.  Hope you enjoy your new D&Co. pants as much as the others you have purchased.

I had heard the same thing about the N95 and KN95 masks, and my church even supplied some in case people in the congregation didn't have them.  This is even with social distancing and services outdoors.  I am glad they are being so cautious since most of the congregation is older.

Like you, I decided to order some more of the KN95 masks since the nice cloth ones I have are no longer considered adequate.  I hope I have enough to last for a few months.

Good luck with your appointment with the cardiologist.  I saw on FB that your orthopedic appointment has been postponed.

Glad you have masks, Barbara.  Also glad you and the rest of the family were not too sick from COVID.   But, it is a shame about the family celebration.

Hi Fressa -- you are always so busy.  Hope the furnace issue is solved soon.

Bev and I were supposed to have a Christmas lunch tomorrow, but of course that has been postponed until she is out of the hospital and better.  I called the restaurant (small local place) to cancel the reservation, and they were so very nice.

Bev's surgery has been scheduled for tomorrow morning.  She is feeling better after her transfusions, but hadn't been able to eat since she went into the hospital on Sunday.  They thought maybe she could have the surgery sooner than tomorrow.  She called me to tell me about the big lunch she had ordered.

I had my eye test done yesterday (no results yet, but hopefully okay.}  This morning, I had my oil changed at my very busy garage, and then went to the funeral of one of my hospice patients who I knew from he senior lunch program (and husband of a lady I know).  The ceremony was very nice -- he was a veteran of Korea, so they had an honor guard and flag ceremony.  The hospice chaplain lead the the service, and did a great job.

Nothing exciting planned for the rest of the day.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. My DD was telling me that her groceries were very expensive this week.  Sounds like the prices are about what Fressa has been paying.  Yikes.

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean, I will probably swing by my sister's favorite pizza place and pick up a gift card for her and then I will be done.  The hours have changed due to some sort of staffing issues so I have to wait until after 4 pm.  I mentioned to my sister over the weekend that I was going to double mask when I went in public. 

Barbara, I would love to have some snow for Christmas.  I can understand why you're excited about going home to AZ.  Do you think V is going to handle the travel well?  I know you're going to be glad to get your infusion.

I suppose the Christmas gifts that I bought won't wrap themselves so this afternoon is as good a time as any to get a start on that.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi @Fressa   Wow, too bad about the heating and cooling installation.  Today is winter solstice and depending on where they live in the country they could be encountering cold weather that could be deadly very soon.

When I decided to replace my sister's heating and cooling we got a quote for a specific furnace and A/C unit.  When I saw the cost I suggested we bump up her furnace to the mid-grade model that I had installed.  The furnace company was stunned when they learned that nobody in the state or regionally had that model of furnace.  They checked Grand Rapids where they got mine and nada.  I'd read that HVAC companies were starting to run into supply issues because of the pandemic and I didn't expect it to happen with Carrier brand.  Lucky for us they had the furnace we had quoted.  Then total street reconstruction on my sister's street was on again off again due to pandemic related supply issues.

She got the estimate at the end of September and things didn't settle down for 2 months.  Everything was finally installed on December 6th.  Honestly I was glad she had a furnace that worked - it was old and possibly on its way out but I didn't have to worry about her freezing while she was waiting.

Honored Contributor

Linda, I've posted in the Q forums now since maybe 2008?  My sister has never been a message board or forum person however she understands that I've made attachments here at the Q.  I speak of fellow posters with genuine fondness and my sister was saddened to learn of Claudia's sudden passing.  I felt like I needed to pass along Mary's expression of sympathy to the rest of the posters.

When I was a little girl my mother used to tell me that tomorrow isn't promised.  She didn't tell me that to frighten or torment me, lol.  I think it was part of her way of teaching me how precious each day is and probably a reminder to not be so sassy on some days.

Claudia and I were chatting about carrying heavy pet food/bird seed and you joined in about the weight of water softener (25/40 pound bags).  A couple of days later I read the news that she passed away.  I'm not kidding - I read your words and said out loud, to Presto my sparrow who was perched on my shoulder - What?  No.  I didn't read that right.  Please God no.

I'm with you about the self imposed rules Heart

I'm glad that Bev is feeling a bit stronger after the transfusions.  I hope that she enjoys her lunch and that the surgery is successful tomorrow morning.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--We both have gas boiler systems in our homes. I have the baseboard heaters but the "kids" have radiators.All the pipes are cast iron. Welll--you guessed it. They don't use or make or can get cast iron anymore (ignoring the $$$) So you can "replace" a radiator with a "look alike" made from aluminum ( I think). There's a premium charge for that---in the thousands!! Once our dil took charge they are now re-placing the broken radiators ( not all of them) with the baseboard heat.(assume those are aluminum??) The boiler (12 years old) needs a total replacement as well. Warranty on that sucker just expired. Haven't heard what the total is ---somewhere between $12,000-$33,000) The kids will be footing the entire bill. I have no idea how because they just put the new roofs on the house and the garage. No wonder my stomach is in a knot. The furnace company borught in two heaters but that wasn't enough becasue of the size of the house. I had no idea or I would have been up there with our two old oil heaters. I won't sleep until I hear that the job is done. At least the last two years they are trying to handle these situations within the household. The ending is always a surprise but that's how you learn. It just twists my stomach. UGH!!!!! 

Super Contributor

Hello all ! It was a nice brisk 23 degrees this morning. I take the dogs out for a run early every AM. (6 AM). It was nice- no wind...we have been having awful winds this month. Really the dogs have the run I just try and keep them in my sight !

@Fressa  What are the dogs names ? I have loved each and every dog I have ever had but that one dog was so special. You never ever can forget that 'one'.

Good luck to the kids and the new furnace install. I am sure it will get done maybe not all that easy but it shall get done. The cost will cause you to gulp ! But it is a must. I think houses are just big ole money pits !

@Bird mama  You are such a good sister ! When our furnace was replaced a few years ago all seemed to go well. However when we needed some minor adjustments we found that the installers did not file the needed paper work with the manufacturer....so we had no warranty. I went round and round with them but got no where. I was so mad !!!

@LindaLatte  I will keep Bev in my thoughts I do hope her surgery goes well. You keep your self so busy ! As they say take time to smell the roses ! Enjoy the small things ! I admire you !

@KonaKat  I hope that your Drs appts go well. I have not purchased any thing from the Q in over 2 years, Clearing out the clutter is a constant battle ! We can only give it our best shot !

@sydsgma1  I do hope your return to Arizona goes well. We have never considered leaving Mo. for warmer spots. Guess I am a die-hard midwestener ! I can handle the heat but do hate the humidity.  Cold is ok but no ICE !  I will keep good thoughts for your DH continued good health. with no set backs.

Well I am hearing the 'call' of the wilds so I must attend. My husband does his share of the ins and outs but he certainly isn't he head man ! He is more of a litter mate ! I wish a calm evening for you all !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jesus, Mary and Joseph @Fressa   When I was really young I lived in a house that had radiator heat and I don't know if it would be called a boiler?  It was coal powered and I remember the coal man making deliveries and Ma and the landlady having to shovel coal into the thing.

Then we moved into a house with radiator heat that was a steam boiler?  I remember dad checking the water supply and this one looked like the old coal furnace - big and cast iron except it was run by natural gas.

I feel for anyone in historic type homes that have radiator heat and steam boilers.  Radiator heat is great and you never feel dried out but you need to practically be rich to maintain it because it's a specialty type of heat.

My furnace and AC cost me $8972 and after reading what you just wrote I am not complaining about what I paid.