Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 20)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am off for the Christmas break which means I'll be exchanging one form of paid work for unpaid work around the house plus the continued trips for physical therapy.

I plan to have a Christmas luncheon with my niece tomorrow  when in the city for PT. It is the only day we mutually have available to have our traidtional lunch before Christmas.

I'm not a fan of Winter so it is with delight that I heard the weather report for Christmas....above normal temps. No snow means no traffic problems associated with slick crooked roads here.

I see that the eBates financial incentives continue to encourage people to buy, buy and buy. I have to admit that I have done my share. I have that TSV epilator coming my way. I have one that is battery operated and is several year old. It is also by the same company.

I would like to repeat the quote I saw posted on Facebook: "Christmas should be a celebration of joy and friendship because friendship is the biggest gift a person can give you."

I treasure each of you and the friendship we exchange on this thread. Let the coming year continue with our sharing and support.

I hear a black trash bag calling: "Fill me, fill me; the trashman comes tomorrow."

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 20)

Hi everybody,

https://imgflip.com/tag/christmas is coming

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thanks for the cute graphic. Now, to determine who has been "naughty or nice." I think we are all nice but during the past year, some ofus have been "naughty" when making purchases.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Disclaimer: I read this on someone else's timeline on FB. As we go through the Season of Christmas, I would like to share this message as an FYI only. "I would like to remind you that there are people, for whatever reason, not looking forward to Christmas. Some people are not surrounded by wonderful families and fantastic friends. Some people are not into celebrating or acknowledging a Christian holiday (yes, this is what Christmas is about for it is not about shopping and spending above and beyond one's budget). Some people have big or small problems during the Holidays. Some people are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are no longer with us. Christmas will be different for some people for this reason. Many people have no one to spend the Holidays with, and are struggling with depression, finances, worries or loneliness. Some people need caring, loving thoughts right now -- some require it all year long! Some families are broken apart by family disputes or finances. Some are struggling to forgive a family member or friend. My prayer is that whatever your family problems, health struggles, job issues, financial worries or any other "issues" you may be facing in your life that you will experience love, peace, joy and grace all year long." Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@ChiTownGal--Thanks for the reminder. I am one of those who has had to develop an attitude about Christmas. I came from a dysfunctional family and I could always expect tension, etc. during the season. The "highlight" was one Christmas we got a telephone call from my brother who told us that his daughter had killed her husband upon finding him with their daughter. It had been a bad situation for a long time but she refused to do anything proactive about it and had only said that he was abusive to her and she had been seeking psychological help.

The niece with whom I am having lunch is part of that family, so she copes with holidays also and always makes a point of working on holidays. I am now the last remaining member of my immediate family, so this niece is one of the few contacts left of the family.  I just try to treat it as another day but recognize that there are those who see it as the highlight of the year.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started Jean.  I agree with the sentiments both you and Chitown gal posted.  While I never had the sort of disastrous Christmas you and your niece survived, I certainly not had the storybook, wonderful Christmases for several years.  This year will be even more so since DH is in the facility.  Fortunately, my church is having a luncheon on Christmas, which I will be attending.  And, DH's DD and family arrive tomorrow for a visit, which should be fun.  At least they will be able to see my decorations -- I don't think we had any visitors last year.

Cute graphic meallen.

I have my volunteer job today, and then I'll go to the gym and visit DH.  They are having a volunteer appreciation dinner at the senior lunch program  this evening, and I'm looking forward to attending.  One of the bosses is an excellent cook (Italian), and I liked what she prepared last year.  

Amazon continues to amaze me with their fast shipping.  I had ordered an iron for DD since hers had broken, and it was delivered before 8:00 a.m. this morning!  She was surprised and pleased.  

Need to get ready for "work" now.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, your Christmas break starts early.  Our DGC don't start theirs until Saturday & next week.  Have fun in the city having lunch with your niece & also a PT session.  Wow, what an awful phone call for you.

ChiTownGirl, I really enjoyed your post today.  A reminder that not everybody had a Happy time during the holidays.  I grew up with wonderful parents, as did my DH.

Linda L, I am so glad that your DH's DD & family will be with you for the holidays.  Company is always fun.  Have fun at your dinner tonight.

It was very cold here on Sunday. I didn't go to church, but my DH did.  I did make a double batch of chocolate chip cookies, & since the oven was hot, I made pizza for lunch.  We did hot tub & then I took a 3 hour nap.

Yesterday I made a batch of SF orange drop cookies & some SF fudge, so my baking is done for now.  DH was like a puppy waiting for something to hit the floor.

It will be in the 30's today & maybe 40 on Sunday.  We had a lot of snow on Sunday, so it will should be a white Christmas, I hope.

We are leaving soon for a little shopping in the Capitol city, then on to our DD 's home.  We are taking they DGC for supper & then going to our DGD's band concert tonight.  We are staying overnight.  

I will be cleaning house & getting groceries on Thursday.  I am avoiding any shopping on the weekend.  I am glad for cold weather as it will hopefully kill cold & flu germs.  Also, the snowmobile trails are open.  Last year they never did open as we didn't have enough snow.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I thinkmany people do not have the story book type of Christmas. We all have challenges to face, and for some that is easier. I've come to prefer the quiet Christmas mostly free of anxiety and concerns. I know that you would prefer to have the times of yesterday when DH was at  home but you are doing the best you can under the situation.

Twinny--School is still in session; I'm just on a break as I'm not subbing for the rest of the week. We started the first week of August and will finish the first semester on Thursday. Friday is the first day off for everyone. I personally think it is a good idea to avoid the Christmas crowds and shopping this weekend. Enjoy your cookies and baking.

I went to the Post Office and mailed a last minute package. It is supposed to arrive on the 23rd. By the time I get out of work and back into town, the Post Office window is closed.

One of my friends who works at the Post Office is considering going to Puerto Rico with my niece and me next year. We would have preferred to go over Christmas so it would be special but when we planned a trip to Hawaii over Christmas a few years ago, a huge snowstorm blanketed the East Coast, closed schools early as well as airports for a period of time.

We did manage to make the trip despite our horrible icy roads leading to the airport but we said at that point that we would never plan anything  involving travel over the holidays which might be threatened by snow. It was not fun getting to the airport and it was not fun when we returned as another snow storm hit with our plane being the last permitted to land. The memories of that trip and the problems still haunt us. 

Valued Contributor

Hello All, Jean, I have a epilator that I bought in 2008 and it still works well, it is rechargeable and I keep thinking that I will eventually need to get a new one.

Well I was done with my Christmas shopping but ended up getting a couple of extra things.  My husband was reviewing our credit card statement and assumed some of the charges were fraudulent when it was really me just buying him a couple of stocking stuffers.  Well, card deactivated, new cards on the way and I had to call to report the fraud was not fraud.  I think one day we will laugh at this but today I was ready to strangle him for jumping to conclusions.   O.K. not really, just venting LOL. 

Well I hope everyone is doing good and I don't get on here as often so wishing you all a great holiday/Christmas and a wonderful New Year.   Gayle

Honored Contributor

IMG_2569.JPG