Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 1)

Greetings, shopping friends. Today is a new month, one of many festivities but as alays with the first of the month, t gives us the opportunity to set goals for the month and try to do better.

For some reason, I awakened at 4:30am. I had been sleeping in until 6am since not working, so this was a surprise.

I decided to use the extra waking time to do some new organizing. I have this set of four, and it is amazing how much they can hold: Periea small collapsible storage boxes. The only negative to them is that the steel rods are very difficult to push into place, something I didn't rememnber with the set of large, medium and small. I got the small as it best meets my needs. Right now, I have one filled with my summer crops and light weight pants. Each is 15.7 x 13 x 9.8 inches.

The virus is increasing its hold on our county and state. I have a hunch we may be having virtual at home instruction until New Year's. As it stands now, we are in at home virtual instruction now, and if we returned next week, there would be two weeks until Christmas break. The colored map produced on Saturday will give direction for next week for type of instruction.

The governor has announced a 45 day halt to most elective surgeries that might require the use of a hospital bed. They thinking is that with the increased hospitalizations, the beds might be needed for Covid patients.

In my area, we only had about an inch of snow which is fine with me. Snow isn't my favorite. It is pretty but the roads can be treacherous especially with crooked country roads.

I haven't been able to see the Q today. For some reason, the signal is gone. If one of the shopping channels could go out of the two we get, it could be HSN but not the Q. I hope I have finished any buying for the holiday season but we will see how December goes.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. If you venture out, do so safely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, DEC. 1)

Hi Everyone!

We have snow!!!  The dogs and I are happy especially with the cold temps. There is ice underneath as the rain froze. Not so happy about that part. It will continue thru the wee hours of the am and then warm up into the 30's. I hope it just melts the ice so I can pick up prescriptions tomorrow.

KomKat: I have those Periea storage boxes and that metal bar can be difficult to get into the slot. Once done, they do work nicely. I have a stack of them in the spare room waiting for me to start the closet project. I got a set for the linen closet and was pleased with how well they held the bedding. 

LindaLatte--I see more and more businesses are participating in "Giving Tuesday" but I prefer to give to the local food banks and community groups in our area. Where we are it boarders on 3 touwnships so we have crossover with Fire & Rescue and food banks and shelters. I have to limit myself because now they are more each year. We had the same thing with our name being sold to other charities. I'm not crazy about that and I don't contribute to those. 

I have a mountain of paperwork on my desk and bill paying to do. It seems like everything arrived withing the same two days. It will my afternoon project today. I can't believe that it is December. I'm behind on cards for birthdays and anniversaries. My reminders are on the bill calendar underneath the mail. Good place, huh? LOL

I did watch some QVC this morning so the dogs could play outside longer. It went to black screen except for their logo for about 15 minutes but then it was back full screen. The weather report said some areas of the state are having high winds/gale force. So far, we are excaping that part. 

Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--I really like those storage boxes except for that steel bar but once in place, it stays there. The first of the month always brings bills, etc., so have "fun" paying them. As the money goes out for the bills, it is easy to think of how that money could be used.The adult thing then takes over and we pay them.

Since I got up early, I am off to bed to read and relax. I am tired of organizing.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Glad you didn't get too much snow, Jean.  I don't have those brand of storage containers, but I have some that seem to be very similar from Amazon.  I find it amazing how much they hold, plus it is great having these containers rather than the heavy plastic totes that I used to have.  But, those metal frames can be difficult to set when you first get them.

You certainly got up early.  I got up at the regular time, and decided to read the Bible since you noted in a FB post that Luke has 24 chapters, so if you read one per day it is a nice Advent activity.  Thanks for the tip.

There are increasing COVID numbers in our area as well.  I hope that I can continue with my hospice volunteer work despite the increased numbers.  I'm sure you will be sad if you cannot teach for the rest of the year, but safety first.

Hi Fressa.  Sorry there is ice under the snow.  I remember that being a problem when I lived in Maryland.  Sometimes it was not obvious until you started out on the sidewalk.  There are quite a few November and December birthdays in my family (including mine), and I need to pick up a couple more cards soon.

I am afraid it sounds like I am some sort of big philanthropist, which is certainly not the case.  I just like to carefully select the charities for donations.  The two I picked for "Giving Tuesday" were local -- one of the food banks and the county aging council -- they do a lot for seniors, including helping with the senior lunch program where I usually volunteer.  I mostly give to local charities and my church, but some national organizations like Feeding America and the Water Mission.  And, some charities back in the DC area where I lived for many years.

It was only 34 degrees when I normally take my walk, so I did my Leslie Sansone DVD first thing in the morning -- that was pretty wild.  I walked after breakfast when it was much warmer.

I have already watched a Zoom class (not OLLI) and a concert.  My OLLI plant based diet class starts soon.

One of my friends who is staying in California called to tell me that her daughter has ulcerative colitis, so my friend will not be back until later than planned.  She wants to help her daughter with various appointments.  I am sure prayers and good thoughts for Karen would be appreciated.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--You are a great person reaching out to help others but in doing so, you make good decisions as to how your money or time will be used. You are a person giving from the heart.

You mentioned the Sansone exercise. Since I got the new FitBit, I am trying to get back into exercising more. When my knee was giving me problems, I quit and once I break a pattern, it is hard for me to get back into the habit.

I had planned to mention this earlier but forgot. I received a couple of packages in the past two weeks that had no invoice or return label if I needed to return it. The shipping label said to peel it to reveal the invoice, etc. Well, there was nothing if the shipping label was peeled and said shipping label did not have layers to peel.