Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, AUG. 6)

Good Morning, Ladies!  Hope things are going okay with your Mom, and you are feeling better, Charlene.  

I did make it to COSTCO yesterday, and I managed to stick with needs with the exception of an exercise top.  I have two other tops from COSTCO, and they have been great.  The price was very reasonable (I think about $12 or so.)  Nothing on my list was on sale, so I purchased the  more immediate needs and skipped some of the others in hopes that they will be on sale when I really need them.

I stopped at Walmart on the way home, and arrived hot and tired.  I had a late lunch, and then discovered my friend Jo Ann had called (she doesn't leave messages, but it is recorded on my phone).  She had gone to a hearing aid place, and wanted to talk to me about the options.  We met at a local restaurant/bar, and had appetizers and coffee (for her) and iced tea (for me).  It was nice, and I think she will go ahead with the purchase.  She is getting a substantial discount from her insurance company.

When I left the restaurant, it started to rain, and we had thunderstorms off and on during the evening.  Not a huge amount of rain, but better than nothing.  So far today, it is cloudy, and it was pretty nice on my walk (not too hot).  I think they are predicting temperatures in the high 90's today, and a slight chance of storms.

I have the senior lunch program, and plan to go to the gym later.  

Yesterday, I received my Ames Walker order -- compression hose like those I got from the medical supply store.  They are exactly the same as the others, and they sent two stockings rather than the one I expected.  I am not sure if it was a mistake or misunderstanding on my part, but I am very pleased.

While I am a candle fan, I will not be ordering the TSV since I have more than enough of regular and flameless candles.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, AUG. 6)

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. Costco can be a good source of bargains. I got my hearing aids from there at a very low price compared to the vendors here. They are great, and came with a loss protection for a year free. The exam was as good as the ones done here and they did real ear measurements with the new hearing aids in place to see that they were performing as expected. Many vendors do not do that measurement and assume the programming is accurate.

Good job on restricting purchases to needs and enjoy your Ames Walker purchases. Mine from there is still in transit, but I have always been satisfied with their products and pricing.

I echo  your sentiments about Charlene and family. It is a very stressful time for all.

It is a beautiful sunny day with temps expected in the mid 90s so I hope to get a few things done today, including getting ready for the cable technician.

I went to the city yesterday to get my nails done, have lunch with a friend and then to do grocery shopping at WalMart. The nails and lunch went well, but WalMart was so packed that it was hard to get through the ailes. I guess it was back to school shopping and food stamp day (food stamps are big in our area.) Many of the food items I wanted were in limited supply so I guess I'll be going back earlier than expected.

When I got home and turned on the TV, my entire cable line-up was gone. I waited until this morning to call the company headquartered in Virginia. After numerous attempts to send signals to my cable box, they admitted failure and will be sending a local technician on Thursday for a probable cable box replacement. In the meantime, Netflix and friends are my entertainment.

I was checking FB when a Q post came up promoting the Big Deal Bob Mackie top. I like it. In fact, I more than like it but do I need it? The answer is "no," but the day is not over.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the kind words Linda and Jean.  For now, things are looking better for my Mom.  Don't know how long she'll be in the hospital, or what kind-of special care she might need once she gets home, but she's doing well all things considered.

I stayed in bed a long time this morning.  Enjoying the peace and quiet, and for now, no headache.

Hope you all have a great day!  ~ Charlene

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda @LindaLatte   How nice that you and Jo Ann got together yesterday.  It's good that she's venturing out more.  I'm hoping for some rain today.  I'm glad that the Ames Walker compression hose match what you received from the medical supplier.  You may have mentioned this already... are the prices better at Ames Walker?

Jean @KonaKat    What a bummer that Walmart's stock was limited yesterday.  It's good the cable tech is coming on Thursday. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb  Thank you for sharing the encouraging news about your mother's recent health scare.  You need to rest after the shock of that.

Honored Contributor

My niece was discharged from the hospital later yesterday afternoon.  She returns to work on Thursday and said it felt so good to sleep in her own bed last night.

I'm feeling a little tempted by a new pair of figural Candle Impressions flameless candles. I'm still debating Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene--Thanks for the encouraging news update. Do take care of yourself as I know this has been a stressful time. Headaches, physical and mental exhaustion require rest on your part.

Bernie--It is good that your niece is discharged from the hospital and enjoying the comfort of her own bed.  Debating Candle Impressions? I know you will make the right decision.

I've been watching the first season of American Horror Story via Netflix while doing odds and ends in the house. I miss my clock on the front of the cable box; it was always a reliable source of time for me. I'll probably pass on the Bob Mackie Big Deal. I just have too many clothes. I did, however, order a faux succullent planter from Amazon that has great reviews. I kill them so this will not die.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about that cable box, Jean.  When something like that happens you realize how much you rely on conveniences, even the clock.  I had not seen the Bob Mackie top, but I really like it.  I may or may not be ordering it, but for now it is on my wish list.

Glad you got some rest, and your Mom seems to be doing a little better, Charlene.

Happy your niece is home, Bernie.  The hose I got at the medical supply store were mostly paid for by my insurance (they paid 85%), but if I wanted another pair, it would have been more than $200. The ones I got from Ames Walker were on sale there for half of their (Ames Walker's) regular price.  Anyway, I ended up paying less than $50 rather than $200 plus.  Winner!  I'm sure you will make a good decision about the candles.

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, AUG. 6) - I

Charlene - I hope your mom has a speedy recover.

Bernie - Glad to hear you niece is home.