Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, APRIL 7)

Greetinngs, shopping friends. Today would have been the day we left for Puerto Rico to spend my birthday and Easter. Unfortunately, the virus reared its ugly head putting a stop to those plans. It could be wew are a jinx as when we last planned to visit, the hurricane hit Puerto Rico making that trip impossible.

Many feel out of control because of the uncertainty of the future as well as the present. We can put control back into our lives by choosing those activities that we can manage. It can be as simple as limiting exposure to the news to a certain amount of timw, or choosing to go through your wonderful wardrobe to find items you had forgotten, or things others might love to have.

This link is a powerful read in this time of uncertainty as it deals with putting control back into your life:

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/control/

I was up at 5am, watched the news, and then tackled the kitchen. Tomorrow is trash day so I want to make Waste Management's stop worthwhile for them. I finished a book yesterday, so after hearing the governor do his update at 1pm, I'll likely tackle a new book. These are simple little things but they are things I can control.

According to some research, our state isn't supposed to peak until the first week in May. The governor implemented "stay at home" at the first hint of the virus outbreak, so we have had only 4 deaths so far from the virus but that is 4 too many.

We are in Week 4 of "Stay at Home."  I just know it has been a challenge but one that will change our lives forever. The Surgeon General compared it to 9/11. We know how things changed as a result of that day; things will change as a result of this. Will it return to the old "normal?"

Patronize the small businesses whenever possible. Shop the Q but don't be lured into false security by the number of easfy pays. Continue to ask the question, "Is this a want or is it a need?" The answer can make a big difference.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, APRIL 7)

Hi Everyone!

It's cloudy and thunderstorms with high winds today thru Wednesday. Thursday is more rain. I'm starting to see some of the holly bushes filling in on the side hill so I was thrilled! I have such a "camo" thumb for gardening that it always surprises me when  I get any plant to take hold. I can see small progress each year so that's good. I'm glad that I started to scale back the gardens when I did because I am seeing the relief that I need with the maintainence. I'm hoping that this year will be the last phase of that task and then I should be able to handle it easier.

Well....here I go with appliance repair...again. The other drawer slide in the dishwasher broke. We ordered the part for that side. The left side is slightly less expensive than the right. I think the slider bar on that side does not have the drawer lock on it. It's still cheaper than buying a new appliance and I like the way it works. It was only a year or less inbetween repairs so I'm hoping that's it for awhile. I'm guessing that's our Saturday activity. LOL

I limit myself to the amount of virus coverage that I watch. I found it too upsetting to me especially since I'm in that category. It was making me nervous and that's never good. I think that's what spurred my major cleaning event of 2020 here. Today it will be baseboards on both levels. I find that cleaning or organizing or decluttering has always been a way for me to control that anxious feeling of things that I can't control. It is what works for me.  It's a bonus that I get a task off my "to do" list as a result.   I hope eveyone finds a hobby or some thing or activity to ease their worry.

Stay safe and comfy. Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--I like that phrase "camo thumb."  I used to have a green thumb but now it is definitely brown. I have given up on plants. Even the deer resistant plants are devoured, and something burrows under to munch on bulbs. You are doing the right thing by avoiding over kill coverage of the virus thing. There is such a thing of too much coverage.

This isn't exactly the same but I remember Desert Storm which was the first war I think we could view 24/7 in our living room. We had a parent and daughter who glued themselves to the TV because of a relative being there. Both of them ended up in the hospital bcause of a breakdown.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello Jean @KonaKat   I know that you were so looking forward to your trip and I'm sorry that the virus got in the way. 

The only thing that makes me feel out of control at this time is the inability to protect my family from the virus.  As the cases continue to increase leaps and bounds in my state I know that sooner or later I will know someone who has had a virus.  God willing, they will be a success story of recovery.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi @Fressa  It's been overcast all morning with occasional drizzle.  We're expecting thunderstorms tonight and considering that so many people really stocked up on food for the long haul, I hope there are no power outages.

Honored Contributor

I remember that Jean @KonaKat   I had cable connected to the TV in my bedroom and I remember my Ma and sister sitting on my bed watching Bernard Shaw, Christiane Amanpour and Wolf Blitzer.  Those are the names that stand out.  

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I am not one that won't go out without a battle. Let's just say that I circumvented the normal process for complaints, etc. to airline, although I did do that also. I was not aggressive but was assertive in my letter. I really didn't expect a response but today I got it. They are not giving me a refund but they are giving me six extra months beyond the ticket expiration date to use it. That works for me!!  Now, to figure out when to use it, but there is also the July Australia trip that is in limbo.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry about your trip, and hope you are able to use the airline credit.  I have decided to just have a credit for my England/Scotland tour, but I need to contact the airline to see if they will give me a longer credit for my flight.  I have to get myself into the mood to do so -- perhaps later this afternoon or tomorrow.

I do try to limit my time watching news about the virus.  Also, Facebook posts about the virus, radio programs, etc., etc.  

Sorry about the needed appliance repair, Fressa.  Glad you are getting cleaning done and good luck with your plants.

Hi Bernie.  It is always difficult when you can't help protect someone you love.  DH's friend called last night, and we talked quite a bit of the times when our loved ones were in the hospital or facilities -- not being able to visit or be with them would be a nightmare at best.  I hope Susan's husband made it home okay and is recovering.

On my walk back home yesterday, my back started bothering me.  The rest of the day and last night I was having pains in my back and front.  Fortunately, I am feeling much better this morning.  I found the heating pad really helped last night.

DD's cell phone was dying (wouldn't keep a charge), and she ordered a refurbished one which came today.  It would not work, and one of my grandsons (knows a lot about phones) said it had water in it.  So, she is sending it back and has ordered a new phone -- refurbished by Sansung this time.  It costs an extra $100, but has a better guaranty, new battery, etc.

I had an OLLI class on using Zoom this morning -- it lasted much longer than expected.  I had used Zoom a couple of times before, but I learned new things.  They are planning to have our June session on Zoom, so it is important to know how to use it.  I was concerned about security, but they assured us that they have taken care of the "bugs".  Not sure that I'll put up my picture all the time, but.....  I usually have a piece of tape over my camera due to security concerns.

We are having lovely weather here, and I am looking forward to my walk in a little while. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  Sorry about your trip, it sounded like it would have been very nice.  Hope you get to go next year.  I hope you give Waste Management a run for their money.  I need to start decluttering again, it seems all I do now is take care of DH's doctor appts. and do things for him.  His doctors are doing virtual appointments on a phone or computer.  It is neat you can do it this way, but I feel like something gets lost in translation.  Guess this this is better than nothing.  I have been working on all the books I have sitting around here, my favorite thing in the world is walking around a bookstore and finding new treasures.  Hope you find a good book to read.

Fressa - Hpe the new part works out for you.  It is sad they just don't make appliances to last anymore.  I also limit my coverage on the virus.  I can not listen to all the deaths and people becoming sick from it.  It is sad and I never thought I would see this happen.  I hope we have learned a few things from this.  We will see.

Bernie - I know what you mean by not being able to protect family.  I guess we just have to hope for the best.  I have a stock of things here and will have to remember to check all my cupboards and drawers.  I have things stashed everywhere, I have very limited pantry space.  This should be interesting later to see what I find. 

Well not much is going on here.  I did get the grass cut yesterday since it is supposed to rain the next couple days.  We had a little rain this morning, but it ended up being a really nice day.  Okay, this is how bored I am with this whole thing - I decided to wear a blouse today around the house because I just cannot deal with another long sleeve Tshirt type shirt.  I know - sad.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--If  you are certain that you will be going on the trip next year, using a credit is the easy way of handling it. Definitely check with the airline to see if they will extend the number of months the ticket can be used. I do hope DD's phone works that is the replacement. Also, I dof hope your pain doesn't return.

Susan--It is good that your DH's appoinitments have been virtual appointments but I'm like you in that I feel something could be missed in the appointment. I also need to start decluttering but what do I do with the clutter when there are no donation sites open for the better things?