Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, APRIL, 13)

Hi Everyone!

It's sunny but cool this afternoon. It was very foggy and cold this morning. The forecast has the weather bouncing all over the scale this week. The in between season time always seems like it lasts so long. I prefer it be one way or the other.

Petco is having a nice sale especially on toys. I try to keep a few extra in the gift closet for backup and family gifts. I checked today and my supply is on zero for our dogs "favorite" bedtime toys. UGH!!!  Thank heavens I found replacements. Free shipping so I was happy.

I received an email from the VVA that the donation truck would be on our street tomorrow. I was able to get on the pickup schedule at the last minute. YIPPEE ! Stacking the items in the spare room certainly reminds me more often to handle getting the items donated. This year I'm trying to call more often and have fewer bags rather than a large number. I think it might move more items out of here and be a bit more easier to handle. 

The dogs had me up a bit early today so I was only able to watch QVC for an hour while they ate chow and part of my pop tarts. 

We had a turkey roaming in the yards yesterday. They all seem to end up around the water tower at the top of the hill in the middle of the woods. The deer herd are always around there. Another bear siting but it was in the southern part of the city. They seem to have all the "officials" scratching their heads with what to do about the situation. Honestly......you just have to shake your head. I don't think my coconut broom is going to work in that situation. My friend in SC said it works on baby copperheads to get them off her porch.....not so much on the gators.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, APRIL, 13)

Hi @ Fressa, I like pop tarts too, the unfrosted kind.  I always have a box of strawberry on hand and when I can find them the brown sugar cinnamon.  My favorite toaster pastry of all time was around when I was a kid - they were called Danish-go-rounds.  Kelloggs was on to a good thing with these toaster pastries so I don't know why they stopped making them.  Maybe pop tarts took over - I don't know the history of when Pop Tarts came into popularity.

36 Iconic Vintage Snacks We Wish We Could Taste Again

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember the Danish go rounds but my favorites (and the dogs--haaha!) are the brown sugar/cinnamon, blueberry, and strawberry. All unfrosted. I try to stock up and store them in the L&L . It's the only thing I can eat in the mornings. Our male shepherd will lay at the bottom of the steps while they're toasting and then "woof" when they are crispy enough. The dogs get the crispy edges so needless to say his woof is on a delay switch. ha ha!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Hope your weather stabilizes soon.  Glad you were able to stock up on some dog toys on sale.  I don't think I would be comfortable with bears roving around the neighborhood -- fortunately that hasn't happened here as far as I know. 

One of my friends who lives north of here had a very scary time with her dog and javelina this morning.  She and her husband were walking the dog, and somehow he got loose and confronted a whole pack of javelina.  Fortunately, her husband was able to get their dog to return -- minus his lead.  She said that they both aged 20 years in that short period.

I've never been a Pop Tart fan, but I'm glad you and Bernie (plus your dogs) have found some you enjoy.

Hi Bernie!  It is a shame when something you like is discontinued.  For some reason, I have never enjoyed sweet treats for breakfast.  Sometimes, I really like a donut or a pastry later in the day, just not first thing.

It is warm and windy here.  Not bad at all.  The AC did come on for a little while yesterday evening, so I guess summer has arrived.

Much to my dismay, I received a letter from the Arizona State tax people saying that my 2017 taxes were being audited.  I had them done by a CPA, and I really don't understand why they had questions about our medical/dental expenses and charitable contributions.  

Anyway, I spent a bunch of time looking for my records, and called the CPA.  They had me take the letter and receipts to their office (I had to wait in the car), and I signed a power of attorney (I think) so the CPA can contact the State.  It was a big relief to have their help, and now I have decided to go back to having my taxes done rather than using Turbo Tax next year. 

I have never been audited before, but one of my friends was for her 2018 taxes.  I contacted her, and she had her tax person work on it.  Then, she received a letter this year saying they were auditing her 2019 taxes.  Maybe Arizona is desperate for money, but I am not happy.   

Trying to be mellow about the whole thing, but....

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte--- My exhusband was audited five years in a row. I think that's the limit. We both had our taxes done by different cpas. His were always a problem because of the weekend home property losses. I guess the IRS couldn't believe anyone could get in such a bad real estate situation. It finally settled down after he retained a different cpa for the following years. 

Our cpa always encloses a letter with "things to watch for' in the current filing.Charity deductions was on the list. I'm think they lowered the limit for the deduction on that category as well as medical and insurance. Honesty, it was a covid year and you think we all could get a break with taxes. (rant over) I always repeat to our cpa to make sure we are under any limit because I don't want to experience an audit ....again. 

Does the IRS conduct random audits anymore? That may be it. You should be fine with all of your receipts. The cpa will handle it. It may just be an amount that needs clarification or some minor detail. Try not to fret. I'll cross my fingers for a quick resolve.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Fressa - Thank you for starting us today.  I like your assortment of wildlife.  We have a fenced in backyard so we don't get to see the deer like the neighbors do.  Oh, don't worry the ground hogs find our garden though.  Glad you go to stock up on your dog's toys.  I have toys for my dog, but she will only play with a tennis ball.  She does not like a squeaker in a toy.

Linda - When my DH worked, we go audited every year.  Do not know why.  After he retired, we never got audited.  We have had an accountant do our taxes since we got married.  It was just so much easier.  

Bernie - I just finished a box of plain, blueberry pop tarts.  I don't buy them very oftern because I am the only person who eats them.  Trust me, they don't last long around here.  

Not much happening around here, I need to start cleaning again.  I have has something to do every day for a while.  When I clean I like to have the whole day open ( I know I am weird).  We had to go buy new covers for the outside furniture.  Last summer we put the covers away damp and they were moldy when we got them out in the fall.  We rinsed them off and used them but we bought new ones for this fall.

The other day I started the thread and went back to it later, I couldn't find it - here I put in the Handags Thread.  Guess I wasn't awake that day.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.